86 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
New Horizons: Near Encounter Phase
Eric H.
post Mar 22 2015, 05:33 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 7110

Thirded! I haven't been this excited since Voyager 2 encountered Neptune back in 1989!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Mar 22 2015, 07:57 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 6336

Thank you for letting us get an insight via your "Observation Playbook".
I can only echo what already been said, that this will indeed be one interesting encounter.

Now I hope you give NH another good workout so she wont sprain a muscle during that intense cosmic ballet performance. =)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 23 2015, 02:05 AM
Post #18

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I will chime in and say that a major part in New Horizons success thus far has been its team dynamic. I have been amazed, given the competing priorities, at the cooperative spirit with which things are dealt with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 13 2015, 01:53 PM
Post #19

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Good morning from Los Angeles! Today marks the beginning of the near encounter phase. NASA TV will air the pre-flyby briefing at 1430 GMT today (13 Jul). Note that all times are subject to change as events unfold.

Please utilize this thread for all New Horizons commentary for the next several days. Here we go!!! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Nafnlaus
post Jul 13 2015, 02:09 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7507

One thing that was being discussed in the last thread, about all of the features that look like "rivers" or "lakes" and the criticism that Pluto's pressure is too low for, say, liquid nitrogen to flow:

Given a triple point pressure of around 12kPa and a solid density of 1027 kg/m^3, 3,2kPa surface pressure, and 0,655m/s^2 pluto surface gravity, Pluto's triple point could be hit underneath as little as 13 meters of nitrogen ice (a bit more, as it would have to have at least a tiny bit of "fluff" to it to float, but that's to be expected). Other ices floating on it such as methane ice could have the same effect. And note that this ice wouldn't be heavily packed due to Pluto's weak gravity, it's the equivalent of less than one meter of nitrogen ice under Earth's gravity. Picture how much a meter of water snow (roughly the same density) packs down on Earth; I'd expect something roughly in the same ballpark - perhaps a situation like arctic sea ice.

Basically, even if there's not liquids flowing on the surface (eutectics or whatnot), there could still be liquids at a shallow depth with a weak ice pack on top of them. And iced-over rivers still flow and move things around.

+Quote Post
Webscientist
post Jul 13 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 594

Thanks for the analysis and the calculations Nafnlaus. That's the relevant problem. I was intersted in peforming that kind of simulations. No need to dig deep for the future lander if you're right. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Nafnlaus
post Jul 13 2015, 02:20 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 7507

An interesting thing is that there's a lot of potential liquids and mixtures of liquids / slushes / etc at different (shallow) depths that could be involved here, going through a wide range of dynamic changes as Pluto moves through its seasons. There could be some very complex processes involved in shaping this landscape. I'm sure whatever data comes back, it's going to lead to some very interesting papers down the road smile.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 13 2015, 02:29 PM
Post #23

Merciless Robot

Briefing placard now up on NASA TV.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jul 13 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 5221

Starting now....

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 13 2015, 02:34 PM
Post #25

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

I have been attempting to measure Pluto's radius from the images that have been obtained in the past few days. I have consistently been getting a values of 1190-1195 km in most cases (1194 km for the latest image). This is close to the radius that SPICE uses (1195 km) but I have seen smaller values elsewhere. Wikipedia gives two values, 1184 km and "1161 km (solid)". The PDS Rings Node Pluto Viewer seems to use a value of 1153 km (selectable in "Field of View" but I'm not completely sure this is the value used to render the Pluto diagrams - I suspect that value may be bigger).

I haven't measured Charon as thoroughly and not in the latest images but I have usually gotten values of 590-600 km. This isn't very far from the SPICE value (605 km).

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 13 2015, 02:36 PM
Post #26

Merciless Robot

Pluto's polar cap confirmed as N2 & CH4 ices.

Alan states radius as 1185 km +/- 10.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 13 2015, 02:39 PM
Post #27

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 13 2015, 02:36 PM) *
Alan states radius as 1185 km +/- 10.

Saw this on NASA TV, nice to see measurements from the NH team only minutes after I posted my (much more crude) measurements here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 13 2015, 02:51 PM
Post #28

Merciless Robot

By my count, we now have three different pronunciations of "Charon". smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jul 13 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1004

given how it's written in Greek, "kharon" is the correct one

+Quote Post
alk3997
post Jul 13 2015, 03:01 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 7390

QUOTE (Paolo @ Jul 13 2015, 08:56 AM) *
given how it's written in Greek, "kharon" is the correct one

However, the discoverer's wife's name is Charlene. Therefore the pronunciation is similar to Sharon (or Charlene). Wives usually win...

+Quote Post

86 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2024 - 01:03 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.