35 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons: Approach Phase, OpsNav - 25 January 15 to 28 June 15
pioneer
post Jun 11 2015, 12:51 AM
Post #256

Group: Members
Member No.: 80

Could the albedo variations on Pluto be caused by clouds? I ask because Pluto does have an atmosphere though it is tenuous.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 11 2015, 01:37 AM
Post #257

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

It's not just tenuous, it makes Mars look like Venus in comparison (post may not be 100% hyperbole-free). So no, not likely at all that real clouds could be present - thin atmospheric hazes maybe, probably only visible above the limb. These brightness variations are most likely to be variations in surface ice cover. But we explore because we don't know, so we could be surprised.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Jun 11 2015, 03:29 AM
Post #258

Member No.: 6336

Oh there might not be any more atmospheric pressure than what was found at Triton. So no clouds, but as it is freezing out there should be some haze yes. But the cameras might not catch it since this ghost of an atmosphere is stirred by Charon and a whisp of it might even wrap also that largest satellite at times.

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jun 11 2015, 04:19 AM
Post #259

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (TheAnt @ Jun 11 2015, 03:29 AM) *
Oh there might not be any more atmospheric pressure than what was found at Triton. So no clouds, but as it is freezing out there should be some haze yes. But the cameras might not catch it since this ghost of an atmosphere is stirred by Charon and a whisp of it might even wrap also that largest satellite at times.

Pluto's base atmospheric pressure is about like the Earth's mesopause....where noctilucent and polar mesospheric clouds form. I would not so quickly discount the possibility of condensation clouds and/or aerosol hazes-- we will see.

+Quote Post
Julius
post Jun 11 2015, 11:35 AM
Post #260

Member No.: 741

I recall the Uranus and Neptune flybys back in the 80 s. At the time I had to check any info from TV programmes covering the events and there weren't many. This day and age when you get social media and blogs It will be much easier to follow the Pluto flyby and the experience of such an encounter even more thrilling and exciting. Enjoy the ride. Thank you Alan Stern and NH team for this opportunity!

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Jun 11 2015, 01:53 PM
Post #261

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Jun 11 2015, 06:19 AM) *
Pluto's base atmospheric pressure is about like the Earth's mesopause....where noctilucent and polar mesospheric clouds form. I would not so quickly discount the possibility of condensation clouds and/or aerosol hazes-- we will see.

Thank you for your correction Alan. And I should have known since I have indeed seen noctilucent clouds a number of times, and over the years even gotten some nice images of a few. Yet, I did not discount haze, we'll have to wait and see. =)

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jun 11 2015, 02:00 PM
Post #262

Member No.: 5458

Latest from yesterday.

Attached Image

Edit: Failed to disclose this image was processed with a histogram adjustment and a max entropy deconvolution process set to low impact.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jgoldader
post Jun 11 2015, 03:49 PM
Post #263

Member No.: 3662

QUOTE (ZLD @ Jun 11 2015, 10:00 AM) *
Latest from yesterday.

Attached Image

Looks like we may be seeing albedo variations on Charon now. Wow. Wow! smile.gif

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Jun 11 2015, 04:13 PM
Post #264

Member No.: 12

So incredibly cool in every sense of the word...

I'm running Eyes On The Solar System 24/7 at the moment. Just fun to ride along and watch the distance tick down. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jun 11 2015, 05:07 PM
Post #265

Member No.: 184

Indeed any clouds/haze would have to be pretty optically thick to be so bright at this low of a phase angle. One might also compare what the atmospheric pressure is high up on Titan where the haze starts to become optically thick, as a rough analog.

Any chance that polar ice brightness could be enhanced by a slight sun glint effect? The geometry appears to be somewhat favorable if we consider a bi-directional reflectance function (BRDF).

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jun 11 2015, 07:15 PM
Post #266

Member No.: 7310

Extended my latest Pluto/Charon raw image animations to include today's images; so now they go through 5-11 June, roughly covering one rotation for Pluto and Charon. The growth of Charon's apparent size is visible as the animation restarts, as is the acceleration of the growth of Pluto's apparent size.

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jun 11 2015, 09:17 PM
Post #267

Member No.: 7310

New deconvolved images released. No word on Charon.

Down-scaled 4-frame version:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 11 2015, 10:06 PM
Post #268

Member No.: 5221

Media schedule is out now; quite busy!

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-ann...for-pluto-flyby

For some reason that makes it even more real, that this is actually happening... time to dust off the ol' swear jar soon!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 11 2015, 10:17 PM
Post #269

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here is a different processing of the deconvolved frames, greatly exaggerating brightness variations to show subtle features.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jun 11 2015, 11:00 PM
Post #270

Member No.: 5458

So I'm confused about their animation. I see it and it appears that it rotates correctly as an animation but not like other images we've been seeing. Has this just been rotated to the right 90 degrees? It looks like, and they even annotate it as if NH is approaching Pluto right in its equatorial plane. Completely confused here. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 04:27 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.