fredk
post Mar 6 2021, 01:40 AM
Post #451

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

QUOTE (fredk @ Feb 26 2021, 10:06 PM) *
Looking at an MCZ frame such as this one:
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020-raw-images/p...6_034085J01.png
It looks like the focus is close to the near foreground at the bottom of the frame and the rocks on the mid-horizon are somewhat soft. However, in the "crater rim" crop of the full 360 pan, released here, those same rocks are in much better focus.

It turns out that "crater rim" crop was made from the sol 4 110mm shots, such as this one. They hadn't yet appeared on the public site when I wrote that post. So it wasn't a crop of the 360 deg pan.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Mar 6 2021, 03:18 AM
Post #452

Member No.: 8250

QUOTE (eliBonora @ Mar 5 2021, 07:10 AM) *
To remember the first movements of Perseverance smile.gif
and also to improve the de-bayer!

Anyone know if "nylon" zip ties have been used on previous rovers or if they are new to Perseverance?

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Mar 6 2021, 07:05 AM
Post #453

Member No.: 6842

Hopefully posting this in the right thread.

I had a go at making slo-mo version of the parachute deployment, using Dain AI frame interpolation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovsG168Hqvk

--------------------

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Mar 10 2021, 10:55 AM
Post #454

Member No.: 7619

Spot on from xkcd

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Mar 10 2021, 03:21 PM
Post #455

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Brian Swift @ Mar 6 2021, 03:18 AM) *
Anyone know if "nylon" zip ties have been used on previous rovers or if they are new to Perseverance?

Here are some zip ties on Opportunity :

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 10 2021, 03:50 PM
Post #456

QUOTE (MahFL @ Mar 10 2021, 04:21 PM) *
Opportunity

That's Curiosity. There really are getting to be too many rovers! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Marvin
post Mar 10 2021, 05:15 PM
Post #457

Member No.: 6540

While we wait for NASA/JPL to finish their health checks on instruments, I found the following:

1. A company called ABB makes Ty-Rap cable ties that have been used on the Perseverance, Curiosity, Spirit and Opportunity rovers.

https://new.abb.com/news/detail/74634/ty-rap-mars

2. The Perseverance twitter feed just posted the sound of laser shots on Mars, and a cleaned up version of the first audio recording from Mars.

It's very cool to hear the winds of Mars. For some reason, I thought the wind would have a higher pitch, maybe because of Hollywood?

https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere?ref_src=t...7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 10 2021, 07:08 PM
Post #458

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Brian Swift @ Mar 5 2021, 07:18 PM) *

Feel free to peruse https://nepp.nasa.gov/files/27631/NSTD87394A.pdf and learn how to tie lacing tape knots, use zip ties (the doc calls them "plastic straps"), etc. If there's specific guidance about when to use one instead of the other I'm not sure what it is, but I've never been great at tying knots in lacing tape (I've worked with techs who could do it one-handed, really quite impressive.)

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Pando
post Mar 10 2021, 08:45 PM
Post #459

The Insider

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (Marvin @ Mar 10 2021, 09:15 AM) *
2. The Perseverance twitter feed just posted the sound of laser shots on Mars, and a cleaned up version of the first audio recording from Mars.

It's very cool to hear the winds of Mars. For some reason, I thought the wind would have a higher pitch, maybe because of Hollywood?

https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere?ref_src=t...7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Really cool. Can we expect stereo with the next lander? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 10 2021, 09:25 PM
Post #460

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Could use a touch of Dolby as well.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 10 2021, 11:21 PM
Post #461

QUOTE (Marvin @ Mar 10 2021, 06:15 PM) *
I thought the wind would have a higher pitch

An unprotected mic (eg a camera mic) in the wind can produce spurious low-pitched rumbles, I guess due to turbulence or oscillations around the mic. I don't know if that might be what we're hearing here.

+Quote Post
Marvin
post Mar 11 2021, 12:05 AM
Post #462

Member No.: 6540

QUOTE (fredk @ Mar 10 2021, 06:21 PM) *
An unprotected mic (eg a camera mic) in the wind can produce spurious low-pitched rumbles, I guess due to turbulence or oscillations around the mic. I don't know if that might be what we're hearing here.

I was thinking the same thing, especially since the laser shots sounded like what you would expect.

But I found a NASA website that simulates various sounds on Mars with the same sounds on Earth:

Sounds of Mars

Some sounds are more altered than others...

From the website: "The atmosphere of Mars, made up of 96 percent carbon dioxide, would absorb a lot of higher-pitched sounds, so only lower-pitched sounds would travel long distances. This effect is known as attenuation -- a weakening of the signal at certain frequencies -- and it would be more noticeable the farther you were from the source."

This would explain why the laser shots, which are close to the microphone, sound "normal".

Anyway, the sounds will certainly help the engineers and scientists and they sure are interesting to listen to.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 11 2021, 06:37 AM
Post #463

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Reminder to all that in order to maintain some sort of searchability for future reference we try to organize current events for rovers temporally and spatially (as in traverse legs). Right now, please post all current events in the Perseverance Early Drives thread; thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Mar 12 2021, 07:57 AM
Post #464

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Mar 10 2021, 11:08 AM) *

Thanks Mike. Brings back fond memories of grandma's mil-spec docs, when she was teaching me to solder as a kid. Not much need to pass on lacing skills since I was just putting together Heathkit projects, not building wiring harnesses for P-3s.

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Mar 12 2021, 08:06 AM
Post #465

QUOTE (Marvin @ Mar 10 2021, 09:15 AM) *
1. A company called ABB makes Ty-Rap cable ties that have been used on the Perseverance, Curiosity, Spirit and Opportunity rovers.
https://new.abb.com/news/detail/74634/ty-rap-mars

Thanks Marvin. I'd guessed they wouldn't just be nylon. Also, nice to see they aren't crazy expensive, $1-$3 depending on length.

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 29 30 31 32 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 11:11 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.