23 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Nasa announces new rover mission to Mars in 2020
Adam Hurcewicz
post Nov 9 2018, 07:50 PM
Post #241

Group: Members
Member No.: 5205

In Jezero crater landing elipse to NASA Mars Rover 2020 (color version)
I use MRO-HiRISE DTM and ortho images from
https://www.uahirise.org/dtm/dtm.php?ID=ESP_045994_1985

Flight cover about 60% of landing elipse (center elipse is almost in the center image)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK9edFndNr8
Attached Image

Two DTM's - I use this from the right DTEEC_045994_1985_046060_1985
Attached Image

--------------------
Adam Hurcewicz from Poland
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 19 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #242

Member No.: 5221

Looks like Jezero has been chosen at the final site. Appropriate given that it means 'lake' in my native language!
Pronunciation tips: Ye-Ze-Roh. Ye as in 'Yep'. Ze as in Zeppelin, and Roh as in Robot!

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 19 2018, 08:30 PM
Post #243

Member No.: 7837

Here is some Jezero work I made a while back...

200 megapixel portrait

Flyby animation

4k version on Youtube

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_mcmcmc_*
post Nov 20 2018, 01:30 PM
Post #244

Guests

QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 22 2018, 06:31 AM) *
Helicopter test in simulated Mars surface atmosphere at JPL.

That's very impressive, esp. considering that they can't simulate 0.38g. smile.gif

It looks like a good design for totally flat terrains. I see no propellers protection against contact with rocks, and no ways to recover from a tilt due to landing with a leg on a rock. In a word, it does not look very robust to Murphy's law. blink.gif

But I am curious to see the unfolding and deployment procedure.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 21 2018, 01:57 AM
Post #245

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I don't know about this, but I might expect a bit of hazard avoidance built in to protect against those problems.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Nov 26 2018, 02:54 AM
Post #246

Member No.: 7273

I put together a CTX mosaic of Jezero and colorized it using data from Mars Express HRSC. The resolution mismatch leads to a lot of color artifacts near sharp boundaries, but it at least gives you a rough idea of the natural color variation within the scene. The full-resolution image is available at Flickr, and preserves the original ~6 m/px resolution of the CTX mosaic.

Jezero Crater

+Quote Post
Adam Hurcewicz
post Nov 26 2018, 08:19 AM
Post #247

Member No.: 5205

QUOTE (jccwrt @ Nov 26 2018, 03:54 AM) *
I put together a CTX mosaic of Jezero and colorized it using data from Mars Express HRSC. The resolution mismatch leads to a lot of color artifacts near sharp boundaries, but it at least gives you a rough idea of the natural color variation within the scene. The full-resolution image is available at Flickr, and preserves the original ~6 m/px resolution of the CTX mosaic.

Jezero Crater

Thank very much! It's great.

--------------------
Adam Hurcewicz from Poland

+Quote Post
v7x
post Dec 21 2018, 04:05 AM
Post #248

Member No.: 7707

Just curious, is Mars 2020 likely to be given another name in the future such as a name like Curiosity, Spirit, Opportunity etc, or is Mars 2020 its final given name? I thought it seemed odd since it will be landing and doing its operations in 2021 and beyond.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Dec 21 2018, 04:45 AM
Post #249

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (v7x @ Dec 21 2018, 12:05 PM) *
Just curious, is Mars 2020 likely to be given another name in the future such as a name like Curiosity, Spirit, Opportunity etc, or is Mars 2020 its final given name? I thought it seemed odd since it will be landing and doing its operations in 2021 and beyond.

NASA published a request for a partner to run a competition to name the 2020 rover... Here is a link to the press release. I may have missed it, but I've not seen the partner named yet. https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasa-seeki...next-mars-rover

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 21 2018, 06:15 AM
Post #250

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

NASA planetary missions are often initially referred to by their target world and the year of projected launch.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 28 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #251

Member No.: 5221

The flight model helicopter has flown in the simulation chamber! https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2019-052

No more test flights until Mars, it looks like....

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Mar 30 2019, 09:13 PM
Post #252

Member No.: 3299

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Mar 28 2019, 03:01 PM) *
The flight model helicopter has flown in the simulation chamber! https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2019-052

No more test flights until Mars, it looks like....

I thought that a drone is better than an helicopter due to its greater stability and maneuverability flight. Hope that the flight model also includes the flight control to Martian sand storms and air swirls.

About the navigation control, what instrument is using in order to avoid any geology obstacle.

Finally, it's is important that the helicopter has own recover method after a soft landing accident. Nobody will help it to put on the line but the Rover's arm must be capable to arrange it .

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 31 2019, 12:57 AM
Post #253

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Mar 30 2019, 01:13 PM) *
I thought that a drone is better than an helicopter due to its greater stability and maneuverability flight...
About the navigation control, what instrument is using in order to avoid any geology obstacle... Nobody will help it to put on the line but the Rover's arm must be capable to arrange it .

If by "drone" you mean a multirotor of some kind, these are not as stable if a motor fails than the two-rotor coaxial configuration of this vehicle, nor as power-efficient.

I presume there's a camera for whatever hazard avoidance and autonomy the helicopter has.

Finally, there are no plans to do anything with the arm. If the helicopter lands badly, that's the end of its mission. It does have fairly wide-stance, high-clearance landing gear to protect against tipovers and bad landings.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Mar 31 2019, 04:33 PM
Post #254

Member No.: 3299

Thanks, Mcaplinger!

Anyway, it is a very challenging engineering project! It is pioneering technology, and after a successful mission, it will form the foundation for more capable helicopters for more ambitious future purposes such as to carry small sample caches back to a Mars ascent vehicle for the return to Earth.

The MHS must overcome many obstacles to meet the Martian weather (cold and vast temperature variation, high radiations, winds) and carrying many technologies, using a cellular microprocessor -Snapdragon- for photography, navigation orientation (no magnetic but depends to Sun tracker a camera coupled with to the JPL's visual inertial navigation system along with some additional inputs that might include gyros, visual odometry, tilt sensors, altimeter, and hazard detectors. The solar panels, I suspect, will be on the top of a helix and will carry Sony Li-ion batteries which will provide up to 220 W of energy.

Hope for a success laboratory! The helicopter can fly in Titan, Venus (I don't think it is feasible for such high temperature), and what else planet or moon the MHS can fly?

+Quote Post
atomoid
post May 23 2019, 01:28 AM
Post #255

Member No.: 196

Now you can send all 0.000000075 meters of your name to Mars. article on Nasa.gov
quite a turnout already, looks like im earning 313,586,649 miles

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:20 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.