Reply to this topicStart new topic
To El Dorado...
ustrax
post Dec 28 2005, 01:49 PM
Post #31

Special Cookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 228

I see it like this, winds coming from SE, bringing lighter particles and volcanic sand, climbing the slope.
In the place where now we see the dark sand, there is a wall on the western side keeping the volcanic sand imprisioned but letting the lighter particles follow their way, following the direction of the winds, quoting Steve Squyres, an 'eolian cul-de-sac'.
So, if analyzing that El Dorado dark deposits, it wouldn't surprise that Spirit would find mainly micro basaltic pieces, crystals and lots of olivine, the composition of volcanic sand.
Well, just a guess... wink.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 28 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #32

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

The prevailing wind is from the NNW however, look at all the DD tracks crossing Gusev Crater

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2004/0...02.R1101577.jpg

Doug

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Dec 28 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #33

Special Cookie

QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 28 2005, 01:51 PM)
The prevailing wind is from the NNW however, look at all the DD tracks crossing Gusev Crater

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2004/0...02.R1101577.jpg

Doug

Yes Doug I know...But I find strange that if the sand was being brought from NNW then we would see dark material in a wider area right under the summits...And we see it only in that hill corner...
And Steve Squyres, on a question I made, answered that the El Dorado material had 'probably just climbed a hill slope'...
Soon we'll have more answers...

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Dec 28 2005, 02:08 PM
Post #34

Special Cookie

Just forgot this, talking about volcanic sand patterns:

http://www.edgypix.com/pages/torf0706.shtml

Have some similarities, doesn't it?

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
helvick
post Dec 28 2005, 02:22 PM
Post #35

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (ustrax @ Dec 28 2005, 03:05 PM)
Yes Doug I know...But I find strange that if the sand was being brought from NNW then we would see dark material in a wider area right under the summits...And we see it only in that hill corner...

I think we are talking about two different seasonal wind systems. I know nothing about the prevailing winds in Gusev but I'm pretty sure there are global changes in the average wind direction between Southern Hemisphere Summer (DD Season, NNW tracks) and winter (SSW would make sense but the local geography might seriously change that and the overall impact of the martian global weather system most certainly creates trade wind bands which might reverse these).
This is just my gut feel for the thing, SH Winter, polar regions cool substantially and pressure rises leading to predominantly Southerly wind (source) directions and this would reverse in NH winter. The global imbalance in Martian seasons would play an important role as the SH Winter effects are less extreme and shorter.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Dec 28 2005, 02:26 PM
Post #36

Special Cookie

QUOTE (ustrax @ Dec 28 2005, 02:08 PM)
Just forgot this, talking about volcanic sand patterns:

http://www.edgypix.com/pages/torf0706.shtml

Have some similarities, doesn't it?

Let's see if you can understand what I'm trying to say...
I think that the volcanic sand was trapped in a depression (not-an-abyss!) existing between the western wall and where now lays the boundary between the light and dark material (in reddish tone), brought from winds (direction indicated by the arrows) from the floor of the basin...
The area covered by light material (in brownish tones) worked as a road to perdition to that poor dark sand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/ustrax/pw.jpg

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Dec 28 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (ustrax @ Dec 28 2005, 09:05 AM)
And Steve Squyres, on a question I made, answered that the El Dorado material had 'probably just climbed a hill slope'...
Soon we'll have more answers...

Hello, the answer will be by looking the formation of dunes. The dunes always forms in perpendicular angle to the prevailing winds. Very soon we are going to confirm about this whenever Sprit takes a much better view and angle picture. Up to now, there are still no good pictures to see about this.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Dec 28 2005, 02:53 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 105

The dunes always forms in perpendicular angle to the prevailing winds.

Not always. This is true with transverse dunes, but not with longitudinal or reversing dunes.

I think that the answer will be complex. Is this area the result of selective winnowing or deposition of the dark sand because of a unique wind pattern caused by orographic effects, or is it caused because the source material for the sand is _at_ this location, or both? We need MIs of the sand, and minerology.

Note other "dark sand" examples in the Northeast Basin and another spot to the south of the Inner Basin. Start picking up clues: from the current route, what is the local wind direction?

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Dec 28 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (DFinfrock @ Dec 28 2005, 03:44 AM)
It looks to me that there is such a sharp edge to the dune/ripple field, that it should be no problem to drive right up to the first ripple, extend the arm, and examine it closely, without actually placing a wheel into the sand itself.

David

David:

Very true!

And, returning to the subject of the holes which Opportunity has seen, it'd be an ideal way for that counting exercise. I've also had another bright idea - this time, perhaps in the Ted Stryk / Phil Stooke Department of Old Data: Viking 1 saw some drifts, which Ted has turned into super-res images on his website. I can't see any, but has anyone else spotted any holes? If they're not visible at Gusev when we see El Dorado up close, possibly not visible at Chryse in old images BUT visible at Meridiani then we're seeing either a 'special' impact event (which I'd be leery of, though obviously it might happen) or something inherent in the Meridiani environment...

Ted's website is at: http://pages.preferred.com/~tedstryk/

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
antoniseb
post Dec 28 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 451

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Dec 28 2005, 10:33 AM)
If they're not visible at Gusev when we see El Dorado up close, possibly not visible at Chryse in old images BUT visible at Meridiani then we're seeing either a 'special' impact event (which I'd be leery of, though obviously it might happen) or something inherent in the Meridiani environment...

It's worth trying to count them per square meter. We've seen images of a lot of square meters of dust-piles at Meridiani, and not nearly so many at Gusev, no mater whether we look at ALL of El Dorado or not. If the images from Chryse show even one, it will be a lucky chance.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Dec 28 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #41

Special Cookie

New maps up:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tm-spirit/index.html

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Dec 28 2005, 04:41 PM
Post #42

Special Cookie

Ladies & Gentlemen...
We have arrived!:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/na...00P0775L0M1.JPG

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Dec 28 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 107

WOW!!! blink.gif

That IS amazing!! Looks greeeeeat!

This is a great end to 2005! Happy New Year! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Dec 28 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 107

LOOK at that! ohmy.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Dec 28 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #45

Special Cookie

QUOTE (dot.dk @ Dec 28 2005, 04:51 PM)
LOOK at that!  ohmy.gif

Wasn't it supposed to stay just at the 'shore'?
Spirit just couldn't resist to refresh her wheels... smile.gif

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/na...00P0775L0M1.JPG

Don't swim to far away honey! huh.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:06 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.