Reply to this topicStart new topic
Processed Cassini Jupiter Images, Fun with the PDS files
Bjorn Jonsson
post Aug 3 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #1

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Now that I have downloaded all of the PDS formatted Cassini Jupiter images (and actually all of the Saturn images too) I have been experimenting with processing calibrated versions of them:

http://www.mmedia.is/bjj/misc/css_stuff/im...grnbl1_proc.jpg
http://www.mmedia.is/bjj/misc/css_stuff/im...olor_mosaic.jpg

The first one is simply a global view composed from CB1 (red), GRN and BL1 filtered images with the color balance adjusted to make it more realistic and with some sharpening applied to the image. This is a preliminary version, it looks very bluish at the limb due to Jupiter's rotation (I preferred this to color fringing at the center of Jupiter's disk). Later I plan to fix this by rotating the images in 3D space.

The second one is a reprocessed version of the well known Io transit image but with the addition of the north polar region - since this is a preliminary version some seams may be visible. Later this may turn into a global mosaic. The color balance is also improved. The 'official' image seems to have been composed from CB2, (CB2+BL1)/2 and BL1 filtered images (only CB2 and BL1 images are available). Using CB2 as red makes the belts too reddish if you want whitish zones. To fix this I used a synthetic CB1 image created from a linear combination of the CB2 and BL1 images. Needless to say I also used a synthetic green image.

Now the plan is to do a big cylindrical map of Jupiter followed by an even bigger one of Saturn.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Aug 3 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Aug 3 2005, 11:26 PM)
Now that I have downloaded all of the PDS formatted Cassini Jupiter images (and actually all of the Saturn images too) I have been experimenting with processing calibrated versions of them:

http://www.mmedia.is/bjj/misc/css_stuff/im...grnbl1_proc.jpg
http://www.mmedia.is/bjj/misc/css_stuff/im...olor_mosaic.jpg

The first one is simply a global view composed from CB1 (red), GRN and BL1 filtered images with the color balance adjusted to make it more realistic and with some sharpening applied to the image. This is a preliminary version, it looks very bluish at the limb due to Jupiter's rotation (I preferred this to color fringing at the center of Jupiter's disk). Later I plan to fix this by rotating the images in 3D space.

The second one is a reprocessed version of the well know Io transit image but with the addition of the north polar region - since this is a preliminary version some seams may be visible. Later this may turn into a global mosaic. The color balance is also improved. The 'official' image seems to have been composed from CB2, (CB2+BL1)/2 and BL1 filtered images (only CB2 and BL1 images are available). Using CB2 as red makes the belts too reddish if you want whitish zones. To fix this I used a synthetic CB1 image created from a linear combination of the CB2 and BL1 images. Needless to say I also used a synthetic green image.

Now the plan is to do a big cylindrical map of Jupiter followed by an even bigger one of Saturn.

Beautiful images.

Where are you finding the Jupiter Images?

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Aug 3 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #3

IMG to PNG GOD

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Aug 3 2005, 10:39 PM)
Where are you finding the Jupiter Images?

All of the PDS formatted Cassini images (more than 60,000 !) are available here:

http://pdsimg.jpl.nasa.gov/data/cassini/cassini_orbiter

The Jupiter images taken near closest approach are on volume coiss_1004.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 3 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #4

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I came across a view like the one of Io but with Ganymede. Methinks I must get around to processing it soon biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Aug 4 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 384

Bjorn Jonsson what program can I use for wieving *.IMG files??? huh.gif

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Aug 4 2005, 02:27 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 384

by the way those images look great!!! smile.gif

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 4 2005, 02:32 PM
Post #7

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Toma B - search this forum for ' img2png ' - it's Bjorns tool to convert an IMG file into a 16 bit PNG file - which is readable by just about any program

Doug

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 4 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #8

Here is the best I could do with the ganymede image...the raws are horribly underexposed. It is composed of UV3/P60 + ((GRN/CL1+GRN/CL2+GRN/P0+GRN/P120)/4) + P60/MT2

The images were, as I said, horribly underexposed. Add to that the problem of MT2 making a horrible red filter. Hopefully some more cleaning can make a picture out of this yet!

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 4 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #9

Founder

ted - what range are the source images in?

Doug

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 4 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #10

The sources are:

N1357128733_1.IMG
N1357128799_1.IMG
N1357128865_1.IMG
N1357128931_1.IMG
N1357129012_1.IMG
N1357129078_1.IMG

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 5 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #11

Founder

I think they must have had some sort of 'Red-Filter Awareness' campaign once they left the Jupiter region - nothing..arhghgh

For instance, look at this..
N1357035094_1.IMG
N1357035048_1.IMG

And they made THIS
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA02879

???

Doug

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 5 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #12

Perhaps this was done in sympathy with Voyager's red-less ISS rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 22 2005, 06:45 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 184

Might be interesting to redo the Cassini global cylindrical movie of Jupiter in color. The released version was relatively low in resolution, yet the original was at higher resolution judging from one of the still images released. This is the 2-D interpolated movie I'm referring to.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
alan
post Sep 11 2005, 05:16 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 110

Jupiter's Clouds from Cassini
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050911.html

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 11 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #15

IMG to PNG GOD

Here is a heavily processed mosaic of the Great Red Spot (GRS) I just finished. It is created from raw (PDS) images obtained close to the time of closest approach:

http://www.mmedia.is/bjj/images/jupiter_ca...grs_caption.jpg

This is a mosaic of several CB2/blue images with the CB1 (red) and green images created using linear combinations of the CB2 and blue images. The effects of varying illumination across the images have been removed, the images reprojected to simple cylindrical projection and then back to perspective projection showing the GRS from directly above, thus showing the true shape of the spot.

The gaps are areas for which the only available data was obtained one rotation (aproximately 10 hours) after the images I used. Due to cloud motions these images cannot be used without 'cheating'.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:36 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.