IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Closest and furthest pairs of unmanned space craft
tasp
post Dec 20 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 162

Ok, obviously, furthest separation of spacecraft would be Pioneer 10 and depending on when we check, Pioneer 11, and later Voyager 1 and/or Voyager 2.

But what is the closest 2 craft have come on seperate missions ??

Were there any close approaches of Magellan to any Soviet orbiters at Venus ??

Has there any been a Soviet Lander on Mars close to either Viking ?? Any chance of the Halley armada vehicles being particularly close to each other during their missions ??

I would mostly be interested in active mission encountering each other, but a live mission 'checking out' a prior 'dead' one closely (Apollo 12 and Surveyor 3 type encounter for example, but keep in mind Apollo 12 was manned and not applicable here) would be interesting too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
nprev
post Dec 28 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Wouldn't have been appropriate for the MERs with just 90-day nominal missions. Thinking of 20+ year surface surveys, which definitely are beginning to look achievable in the near future. For example, if we were to fly rovers to Titan in 2030, I'd put a pair in one place & a pair in another (deep, deep pockets and/or very inexpensive yet reliable designs assumed, of course...)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Dec 28 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 132

QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 28 2007, 01:13 PM) *
I'd put a pair in one place & a pair in another...

I think most would agree that it would still be better to put them in four different
places. I don't see how the advantage to sending a rover as a buddy to another
rover could possibly outweigh the advantage to having a look at an entirely different
location. Even with a different science payload on each of two rovers, the use of two
sets of roving hardware (wheels, chassis, etc.) sent to one location would be an
extravagant waste of payload budget.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:44 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.