Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mars Express Results
lyford
post Feb 18 2006, 04:08 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 124

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 17 2006, 10:28 AM) *
One of the images in this posting is a Flash animation of several frames of Phobos moving across the surface of Mars. Does anybody here know of a way to grab the animation in any save-able format? They don't provide a .gif, .avi, or .mov version to download.

--Emily

Here's the file, working on a conversion...

Doh -
Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension.

Let's try quicktime thistime.... i hope this is ok?
Attached File(s)
Attached File  esa.mov ( 93.7K ) Number of downloads: 1282

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 18 2006, 06:25 AM
Post #17

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Feb 17 2006, 10:40 AM) *
I'm not sure if there is a freeware or shareware program available for this. However, you might try the trial version of "Flash Saver" to see if it works.

Thanks for the suggestion, Alex...
QUOTE (lyford @ Feb 17 2006, 08:08 PM) *
Let's try quicktime thistime.... i hope this is ok?

...but I procrastinated, hoping someone would completely solve the problem for me -- and it paid off. Thanks lyford!

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 18 2006, 07:46 AM
Post #18

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (lyford @ Feb 18 2006, 04:08 AM) *
Doh -

Whioch file extension did you try first time around? I'll add it to the list of allowable ones anyway. (it's a security thing so people can't upload malicious stuff)

Doiug

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Feb 18 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 15

Might not want to remove a block on, say. .exe files, Doug. Way too much possibility for malicious attachments that way.

In the case of a trusted person sharing a proven-safe application, the poster can always rename the file with a different file extension, and instruct those who download it to change it back to an .exe extension after downloading. It's a simple and effective way of getting the job done without exposing the forum as a whole to any further risk.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
lyford
post Feb 18 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #20

'Twas a shockwave file that killed the beast. ".SWF"
I don't see many of us using that format in the future... not sure why ESA is using it and not some other like FLV or Quicktime.
I agree with dvandorn about keeping the hatches battened down as much as possible.

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Feb 19 2006, 04:12 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 18 2006, 06:24 AM) *
Might not want to remove a block on, say. .exe files, Doug. Way too much possibility for malicious attachments that way.

In the case of a trusted person sharing a proven-safe application, the poster can always rename the file with a different file extension, and instruct those who download it to change it back to an .exe extension after downloading. It's a simple and effective way of getting the job done without exposing the forum as a whole to any further risk.

-the other Doug

Alternatively, after downloading a file, it is a good practice, before executing it, is to click the program spam scan to test it about its authenticity. That way, this will avoid any further troubles with your computer.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 19 2006, 09:43 AM
Post #22

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Yup - it's fairly restrictive at the moment. I added XLS a few days ago ( an admin thing cool.gif ) - but other than that, I've not added to the default 'payload' of allowable attachments much, ever warey of the implications.

Doug

+Quote Post
lyford
post Feb 21 2006, 03:49 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 17 2006, 10:25 PM) *
...but I procrastinated, hoping someone would completely solve the problem for me -- and it paid off. Thanks lyford!

Hey no fair you used it in the Planetary blog! laugh.gif And I was just about to join, too! tongue.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome

+Quote Post
cndwrld
post Nov 27 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 1743

A new announcement has been added to the Mars Express Science & Technology pages here.

New views of the Martian ionosphere

15 Nov 2012
High above the main body of Mars' atmosphere is a region of weakly ionised gas, known as the ionosphere. For the last eight years this poorly understood region has been observed by instruments on board ESA's Mars Express orbiter, and new studies show that the dayside ionosphere is more variable and more complex than previously thought.

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com

+Quote Post
cndwrld
post Jan 17 2013, 11:17 AM
Post #25

17 January 2013

ESA’s Mars Express imaged the striking upper part of the Reull Vallis region of Mars with its high-resolution stereo camera last year.

Reull Vallis, the river-like structure in these images, is believed to have formed when running water flowed in the distant martian past, cutting a steep-sided channel through the Promethei Terra Highlands before running on towards the floor of the vast Hellas basin.

This sinuous structure, which stretches for almost 1500 km across the martian landscape, is flanked by numerous tributaries, one of which can be clearly seen cutting in to the main valley towards the upper (north) side.

The page with the images, including a nice 3D image, is here.

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com

+Quote Post
cndwrld
post Feb 14 2013, 10:39 AM
Post #26

Some new Mars Express images have been released.

14 February 2013

ESA’s Mars Express took a high-resolution stereo image on 13 January of the southeast corner of the Amenthes Planum region on Mars, near to Palos crater and the mouth of a well-known sinuous valley, Tinto Vallis.

The results can be seen here.

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Feb 14 2013, 01:54 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 4350

Stunning as always. smile.gif

I'm not sure why the site has an option to rate the pictures. They are all five stars stuff.

+Quote Post
cndwrld
post Mar 25 2013, 02:37 PM
Post #28

25 March 2013

ESA’s Mars Express has spent nearly ten years imaging the Red Planet, and there are plenty of hidden treasures buried in the mission’s rich picture archive.

HRSCview is a web interface to the archive that offers a chance to browse and explore any region of the Red Planet through the eyes of Mars Express with images that have not necessarily been highlighted by formal media releases.

See the full press release here.

The HRSCview is here.

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com

+Quote Post
cndwrld
post Apr 15 2013, 07:52 AM
Post #29

Some nice MEX images and analysis of twin craters, at the ESA MEX page. Exploding ice craters. Who knew?

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com

+Quote Post
cndwrld
post May 6 2013, 07:35 AM
Post #30

2 May 2013

Giant landslides, lava flows and tectonic forces are behind this dynamic scene captured recently by ESA’s Mars Express of a region scarred by the Solar System’s largest volcano, Olympus Mons.

A discussion with illuminating images can be found on the ESA web site.

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:14 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.