May 23, 2007, HiRISE release
ustrax
post May 24 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #46

Special Cookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 228

QUOTE (djellison @ May 24 2007, 02:19 PM) *
I'm saying it's impossible to say "that's the bottom".
Lest we forget, similar techniques turned a black dunefield into all sorts of things.

Neither am I, I was not saying "look how dark is the bottom, it might even be a pond!"
I was focusing on the "walls"...
For now... rolleyes.gif

The problem of that dunefield was being a dunefield, let's remember that the techniques applied to Ultreya were accurately developed specifically to deal with an abyss... tongue.gif

EDITED:
...the upper part of the circle is lighter than the lower part. This might be the floor showing.

Yes, I found that curious because it seems to be an extension of the disturbed lighter soil patch outside the hole:
Attached Image

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
akuo
post May 24 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 63

Binning done in the electronics before AD transformation is a lot more effective than in software, and I think this is what they talk about when some Hirise image is 2x2 binned etc.

Increasing is exposure time is of course problematic because Hirise has a scanning type detector. It will be interesting to see what the future plan is.

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post May 24 2007, 02:40 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 132

Will we have to wait until there is a laser altimeter or radar that can look to the bottom? How soon
can that be? I'm guessing a camera sensitive enough to see down there would not be worth it.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post May 24 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #49

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (djellison @ May 24 2007, 03:19 PM) *
... similar techniques turned a black dunefield into all sorts of things.

True. But we had good times imagining what "those sort of things" might be. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Juramike
post May 24 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 1345

It's not an abyss, it's a martian oubliette!

And when we finally get illumination down there we'll find both Mars Polar Lander and Beagle 2 at the bottom!

( "My God, I see stars....")

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

[This image has totally tickled me pink. Aside from it's sheer image impact, a collapsed lava tube is a great way to get a peek at relatively protected Martian basalt.]

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Gray
post May 24 2007, 04:25 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 34

QUOTE (ustrax @ May 24 2007, 09:36 AM) *
Note: I know that it has already a name but Cernunnos, the Celtic God of Fertility, Life, Wealth and the Underworld sounded just perfect for the occasion...

Perhaps we could we could use the name 'Cernunnos' for the underground chamber(s) for which there may be more than one entrance.

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 24 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #52

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Maybe one day...

Attached Image

ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tuvas
post May 24 2007, 08:14 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 1062

MRO flight rules limit the off-NADIR pointing to 30 degrees. But that's only 24 degrees difference, it might allow one to see the bottom of the cave. It would almost certainly allow seeing the wall of the cave. Still, this is turning to be a highly unusual feature.

Oh, SHARAD might be able to find the depth of the cave, I'm just guessing though.

Also, you might be interested in knowing that the HiRISE team talked about the cave in a HiOPs meeting last Monday, we were joking that MSL should repel down into the cave, and then we thought, well, it can already repel, skycrane... Hmmm...

+Quote Post
ustrax
post May 25 2007, 08:08 AM
Post #54

Special Cookie

Regarding the "work" I've done with the image, Alfred McEwen told me that it may be "scattered light", "the camera optics are excellent but not perfect."
But, might I add, the closest to perfection I have ever seen... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
ngunn
post May 25 2007, 09:01 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 542

Thinking about the possible pattern of illumination in the cavern made me think again of that wonderful Pantheon photo. The patch of sunlight in this case might be falling on a horizontal floor, but more likely somewhere part way up one sloping side of the tunnel, thus preferentially illuminating the opposite side with scattered light. I have a sketch of the geometry which could produce the apparent slight grading in interior illumination that may be showing on that image, but unfortunately no easy way of posting it here.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post May 25 2007, 10:01 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (Juramike @ May 23 2007, 11:06 PM) *
Ouch!

Am I the only one that didn't immediately see the pun??
GROAAAAAAAN! wacko.gif

Actually you saw it before me, so - it was all in the eye of the beholder! (Maybe a case of the pot calling the kettle black? How appropriate.)

By the way I'm going to be incommunicado for a few days - probably just as well.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post May 25 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #57

Special Cookie

I've made a new animation focusing on the top-right quadrant.
Noise? Scattered light?
I just love the way the appearing features, layers-like, matching so nicely with the rim, seem to belong there... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post May 25 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #58

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Perhaps they could rotate the spacecraft to compensate for motion, allowing longer exposure times (same principle as CPROTO with MOC, but using the reduced speed at which the surface goes by for longer exposure time per line instead of higher resolution. Would be difficult, but worth trying once if at all possible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
marswiggle
post May 25 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 193

I had a quick look in the MOC Gallery for similar features around the Arsia flanks and happened to find these. The first one is clearly Dena, from here. The second one is from here (lower right of the narrow angle img), and AFAIK it has not been referred previously. Both images are full size crops from the gif files, so I think the sizes are ~about~ proportional. The second one certainly could be an artefact, but it is very similar to the other ones anyway. A thorough search in the MOC imagery could reveal more.
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
ustrax
post May 25 2007, 04:15 PM
Post #60

Special Cookie

QUOTE (marswiggle @ May 25 2007, 04:23 PM) *
I had a quick look in the MOC Gallery for similar features around the Arsia flanks and happened to find these.

They may not know yet what happened to their loved one but let's have some respect by Bwwn family's privacy... wink.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:28 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.