Phil Stooke
post Sep 14 2019, 06:40 PM
Post #256

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

post 2287 on this forum page:

http://www.9ifly.cn/thread-5819-115-1.html

gives a summary of the mission including confirming what I had thought, that in May autonomous hazard detection and avoidance was tested on Yutu 2. It includes two images of a route map which I will se to update our map, when I can get to it (I'm on the road at the moment).

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 16 2019, 06:43 PM
Post #257

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Andrew Jones directed me to this drive diary for the 9th day:

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/NAm3JQHLJymMOofpGX4pHQ

It includes a mosaic which can be roughly reprojected to give this:

Attached Image

The day 9 tracks are at left. The diary describes efforts to analyze the odd material in the crater (open in Chrome for a rough translation).

Here I show an interpretation of the pattern of tracks. Not sure I have it right. The mosaic is from the end of day 9.

Attached Image

Map update will follow when I can get to it (I'm on vacation in Brittany)

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
John Moore
post Sep 16 2019, 08:20 PM
Post #258

Member No.: 4792

I'll assume that the first image below is a track-image of where Yutu-2 pulled back (because of the first VNIS wasn't suitable), and then progressed forwards to conduct a second view as highlighted below in the second image (colouration is simply for clarification of the area concerned).

John

Also, I'm assuming, the highlighted sector (on left of the third image below) is relative to the sharp angles pronounced in Phil's image.

John

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2019 - 06:41 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.