Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager mosaics and images of Jupiter, A fresh look at some ancient stuff
machi
post Oct 4 2010, 05:09 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 4057

GRS from Voyager 1.
Resampled at 5 km/pix, original resolution around 5.5 km/pix.
Color from wide angle images (violet, green and orange filters).
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Oct 4 2010, 05:23 AM
Post #62

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

OMG! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 4 2010, 05:36 AM
Post #63

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

No, sorry, I don't believe it. You've given yourself away this time.

Clearly you have a TARDIS, allowing you to travel back in time and photograph the GRS out the TARDIS door using a state of the art 21st century camera... laugh.gif

Seriously, that's a stunning image, well done!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 4 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 197

Holy smokes. Maybe it's just my mind interpreting color shading as shadows. But that now really has the appearance of a vortex cutting deep into the upper cloud layers.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Oct 4 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 4270

Wow. Nice!
That's very impressive!

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
machi
post Oct 4 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #66

Stu:
I think, that even with TARDIS, I would be cooked by radiation smile.gif .

Dan:
If I remember correctly, then darker areas are widely recognized as deeper atmospheric layers (in some cases, it can be actually seen).
And I think that darker areas near small clouds are really their shadows.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Oct 4 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #67

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Hot Diggity Dog! That's marvellous Daniel... another APOD-worthy effort! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Oct 4 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #68

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

QUOTE (ugordan @ Sep 13 2010, 06:46 PM) *
Nice, both the images and the videos. I can appreciate how labor intensive a video with that many frames can be, you had to have a *lot* of will power to do that I imagine.

Do you use calibrated or raw data?

Gordan,

I'm pretty capricious when it comes to projects like these, so I tend to start working on them purely on a whim, and then before I know it, I feel obliged to follow them through to their conclusion. Unfortunately, I'm using the raw data, which has proved to be troublesome, due to the geometric distortions that are present in the frames.

I originally started with the Green filter movie only. Then I figured out how to semi-automatically create colour frames using the Python macro/scripting feature in Paint Shop Pro. It works very well, and means that I can essentially create a fairly-well aligned colour frame with only a few clicks of a mouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XjW0vZZZXw

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Oct 6 2010, 03:58 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 5458

I took the image and did my own processing on it; great work by the way Daniel. I was able to bring about a bit more depth and I would certainly have to agree that this image definitely makes the case for the GRS being deeper than I had ever imagined. The first image shows my processing and makes it clear the depth of the cloud layers. Most interesting is the white swooping layer at the far left of the image; it appears to even cast a shadow on a large portion of the GRS.

Am I just seeing things or is this really a many hundreds of miles in difference from that top layer to the ones next to it?

(admin note - it's best not to put images straight into a thread like that - we've changed them to links.)
-I apologize for the error. I hadn't meant for them to be fullsize thumbs.

Edit: I hadn't ever posted this one either. This is probably bordering on false-color but it shows greater depth to the GRS area from Bjorn's image.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Oct 6 2010, 05:55 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 615

ZLD, my take is that your 'shadow' is in fact the variance in brightness between several images that Machi has stitched together and not an effect produced by higher cloud layers as suggested by your red lines. I'm sure that Machi could confirm this. Also, I'd suggest that the light is coming from the 'right' of this image (of course by 'right', I mean a few hundred million miles/kilometres away). wink.gif

+Quote Post
machi
post Oct 6 2010, 07:37 AM
Post #71

ZLD, Astro0:

Yes, "shadow" is variance in brightness between images. Voyager took two complementary sets of images with green and violet filters.
I used green filter images for high resolution mosaic and violet images for filling remaining gaps. But violet images are really different from
green images, so this variance can be seen. You can actually see depths of layers in some cases, but this isn't one of them.
I'll try post some example.

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Oct 6 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #72

It's possible use both green and violet images for high resolution color mosaic of GRS, but at the cost of limited coverage.
I create this image as demonstration, how good this can be (and how excellent is quality of 70's Voyager images).
Color is created from green, violet and synthetic images. Resolution is original (~5.5 km/pix). Contrast is exaggerated.
Interesting feature is something, what looks as entrance of horizontal tromb (horizontal funnel) in the left image.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Oct 6 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 5458

That is quite impressive. Can you send me a link to the raw data you are using to output these images? I've looked several times in the past and come up empty handed. I'm somewhat new to processing space imagery but somewhat experienced in processing photos in other areas. Any tips and sources for photos, especially those from the voyager missions I'm interested in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 6 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #74

Administrator

Member No.: 454

My favorite search tool for Voyager and other outer planets images is now OPUS at the Rings Node, but the Atlas at the Imaging Node is also good.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
machi
post Oct 7 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #75

ZLD:

I have almost all image data from Voyager downloaded on CD's, which was perhaps my first activity, when I started with internet smile.gif .
You can download (almost) all data from here:
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/resources/onlineData.html

These images aren't calibrated and geometrically corrected.
Some data are in calibration process and calibrated data are available from here:
http://pds-rings.seti.org/voyager/iss/calib_images.html

You can open original images (*.imq) with Voyager Image Viewer (which has browse capability), Nasaview or img2png.
Calibrated data are more difficult to opening. You can open them as raw data.

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:46 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.