14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Sol 12 on onward general imaging, First TEGA delivery
ahecht
post Jun 16 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #196

Group: Members
Member No.: 4145

Well, partially luck, and partially the landing legs that were designed to collapse is such a way as to keep the lander level despite uneven terrain.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jun 16 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #197

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (ahecht @ Jun 16 2008, 01:10 PM) *
...partially the landing legs that were designed to collapse is such a way as to keep the lander level...

Ah, yes, I didn't think of that. Is there info on the specific amounts of collapse of each leg?

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Jun 16 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #198

Member No.: 453

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jun 16 2008, 02:13 PM) *
Ah, yes, I didn't think of that. Is there info on the specific amounts of collapse of each leg?

Well, from a purely empirical point of view, the legs could not have been pushed back up much at all since the tops of the legs are not projecting through the holes on the science deck that I assume are there for just that purpose? I noticed they took some images of those holes early on in the mission; presumably to check for exactly that.

Airbag

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Jun 17 2008, 02:26 AM
Post #199

There are some interesting but mysterious images up from Sol 21; look for "Full Frame Caterpillar Dodo-Goldilocks 3 Change Monitoring", e.g.:

http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/i/SS021ESF898...5_12BB0L5M1.jpg

Now what makes them interesting is that they are marked as being taken with the solar filters, and are very narrow, and then the names of course. So, perhaps by using the solar filter, these are very long exposures of a particular part of the trench, and then (to monitor changes) either the camera would move very slowly, or, more likely, only a few scan lines would be read in from the stationary CCD. In either case, the vertical direction of the image should correspond to changes with time of the brightness (melting ice?) of a fixed spot on the ground. Well, that is my theory, anyway! However, I can't make head or tail of the images...they look like mostly noise to me.

Any takers?

Airbag

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Jun 17 2008, 02:37 AM
Post #200

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

Yes, there was a wee bit of a mix up sol 15. Activity IDs, which are used to connect observations to data products, were mis-assigned. Things that were supposed to be separate observations got lumped. There'll be a note on the page at some point... But you may safely assume that none of the images that look like noise were supposed to be the trench or the telltale.

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Jun 17 2008, 02:41 AM
Post #201

QUOTE (Deimos @ Jun 16 2008, 10:37 PM) *
But you may safely assume that none of the images that look like noise were supposed to be the trench or the telltale.

I will sleep better now tonight smile.gif

Airbag

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Jun 17 2008, 03:51 AM
Post #202

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (Stu @ Jun 16 2008, 11:50 AM) *
"Flat and featureless" eh..?

That was quite enjoyable. As someone with a physical inability to see 3D in a static image, that gives me a taste of what the rest of you can see in the anaglyphs.

Brian

+Quote Post
Reckless
post Jun 17 2008, 08:40 AM
Post #203

Member No.: 217

Yes very good flyover, speaking as another who cannot see the anaglyphs.
of course we will never be able to land in such rough terrain. smile.gif
roy

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Jun 17 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #204

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Posts about "UMSF published Images and APODs thread" moved to ... its thread. smile.gif

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Jun 17 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #205

Member No.: 16

I'm confused...

Starting on sol 20 the Peter Pan sequences transitioned to 'near field' work which implies that the horizon pan was done.

However I can't find any images taken (or planned) between 90 and 130 degrees. Am I missing something?

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Jun 17 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #206

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Jun 17 2008, 06:51 PM) *
Starting on sol 20 the Peter Pan sequences transitioned to 'near field' work which implies that the horizon pan was done.

However I can't find any images taken (or planned) between 90 and 130 degrees. Am I missing something?

There've been some interesting choices. There is a list of prioritized images with time of day constraints that depend on direction. Ideally, when a time is available, the highest priority set that fits that time goes into the plan. Ideally they do not wander around in time. There is a 3x2 chunk of horizon missing; a 3x1 (top part) was taken on 22 and was on the lander prior to shutdown. I haven't checked the analysis of what survived shutdown to make it to the AM pass. Many sol 20 pan images were lost when an MRO pass failed and there was too much unsent data for the meager flash--that's an everyday risk.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Jun 17 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #207

Member No.: 16

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply Mark, an interesting insight into the sol to sol operations.

Glad I haven't missed anything, but sorry some has been lost - looking forward to more when you get it. smile.gif

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
alan
post Jun 18 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #208

Member No.: 110

Thread closed, last post moved, ( http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=118457 )

continue here
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=5247

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:51 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.