Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
UMSF space history photo of the month
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 30 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #106

Guests

For April 2009, I have chosen an old ESA photo showing the ESRO-4 satellite during vibration tests in ESTEC Noordwijk - The Netherlands
In 1975 ESRO (1964 - European Space Research Organization ) was merged with ELDO ( 1964 - European Launcher Development Organization ) to form the European Space Agency ESA
ESRO 4 was launched in on a Scout rocket from the Western Test Range, Lompoc, California, USA, in November 1972.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 30 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #107

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Nice pic Phil! Did ESA just release that image today? wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 30 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #108

Guests

Although ESA just brought out ESA Bulletin in digital online version, the agency doesn't distribute any photos ( except ESAnauts ) to the general public. So we have to take care of old "unmanned mission" photos wink.gif
Here's another view of the ESRO-4 satellite during final check-out at the Western Test Range in November 1972...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 30 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #109

Guests

And here's what a Google search pointed out: http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/heritage/John_Ra...irs/esro_4.html

+Quote Post
cbcnasa
post Mar 30 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #110

Group: Members
Member No.: 4691

Thank you for the images and the link. The safety pin warning sign will be useful in my classroom.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post May 13 2009, 06:25 AM
Post #111

Guests

Another amazing clean room photo of the NOAA-N satellite which tipped over during assembly in California - September 2003

http://mlans.dynip.com/blogpics/2003-09/20...-noaan-01.shtml

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jun 19 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #112

Guests

A view we're dreaming of in JUNE ... six years ago:
http://www.utahskies.org/image_library/sha...SandQuarry.jpeg
dry.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 24 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #113

Guests

With the sol 2000 logo neatly at the top of the forum, I wanted to remind forum-members what a way NASA-JPL came in 35 years of developing robotic vehicles to explore planetary surfaces. Note the manipulator arm, designed to move obstacles ohmy.gif and the large computer closet biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Sep 14 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #114

Guests

As my birthday is approaching I'll post a panorama made when I was born mellow.gif
Surveyor V mosaic of wide angle pictures taken the day before lunar sunset. The horizon is curved because the camera was tilted and on the leftside the crater's rim shadow fills the image dark... Mare Tranquilitatis 1967.

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 14 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 682

This is a link to "Life" website where you'll find old spacecrafts models including, yes, manned models but well here we talk about history, don't we? http://www.life.com/image/last/in-gallery/...acecraft-models

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 18 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #116

Guests

Can't believe this occured already 5 years ago (Huygens probe was released in December 2004):

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 25 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #117

Guests

Although nowadays launch vehicles have large shrouds, engineers still have to come up with convenient ways to fold larger spacecraft (e.g. JWST) into the available space smile.gif
About half a century ago, everything fitted nicely, example showing the TelStar 1 (first commercial) communication satellite in the Thor-Delta fairing:

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Dec 25 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 184

I've always loved the appearance of Telstar - hard to explain but it really has that "satellite" look.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 14 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #119

Guests

About 25 years ago, the construction of the Hubble Space Telescope was well underway...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 1 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #120

Guests

What a contrast between the mid-1980s clean room and the early-1960s JPL "clean room" with its checkered floor tiles huh.gif
Great photo of the 204 kilogram Mariner II spacecraft, which performed the first successful Venus flyby in December 1962...

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:06 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.