IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

No Really Big Worlds Beyond The Kuiper Belt?
ljk4-1
post Oct 17 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

No Kuiper Belt Jupiters; No Nemesis

Astronomers have long wondered whether the solar system might have an
unseen giant planet far out in the darkness beyond Pluto and the Kuiper
Belt. If so, it must be very far out indeed.

Nadia Zakamska and Scott Tremaine have set new limits on the existence
of any such massive object.... Earlier this year, Varun Bhalerao and M. N.
Vahia showed that no red-dwarf companion of the Sun (a so-called "Nemesis"
object) can exist within 25,000 astronomical units....

http://SkyandTelescope.com/news/article_1609_1.asp

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Guest_Richard Trigaux_*
post Oct 17 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #2

Guests

If we read the paper, we find that the accuracy of their work is the detection of 1 Jupiter mass at 200 AU (30 billion kms, 5 times the distance of Pluton). This rules out star-sized bodies at short distance, but still allows for many surprises, such as Jupiter-sized objets at a great distance. If we assume that the effect of the Sun follows a 1/R2 law, at 0.1 light year we could still have 1000 Jupiter mass, or the mass of the Sun. At less than 0.2 light years a small black hole can still hide into the error box.

More realistically we can say:

-This study does not rule out Jupiter sized bodies in the far solar system, especially if they are many (in a belt) or a cloud of gaz in orbit or close vicinity.

-we are still far from detecting the effect of neighbouring stars. A 1000 more resolution would be necessary to detect the effect of Proxima centauri.

This study brings matter for the study of the Pioneer anomaly, or for the study of the anomalies in the cosmic background radiation. (there is an assymettry in this background, which seems related to the solar sytem)

+Quote Post
blobrana
post Oct 17 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 457

QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Oct 17 2005, 07:44 PM)
More realistically we can say:

-This study does not rule out Jupiter sized bodies in the far solar system.

Indeed,
but I wonder how stable those very distant orbits would be, (in the long term), given that passing stars come quite close by every few million years.

I imagine that in a time scale of a few hundred million years, most would be flung out of our system
(er, on the other hand, the sun may acquires new ones)...

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:09 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.