IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chang'e 3: Lunar Day 3 and onwards, Ongoing discussion of the Rover/Lander mission
Phil Stooke
post Mar 4 2014, 11:36 PM
Post #46

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

This is the new image of tracks showing my interpretation, and an alternative.

The image is a composite of two, the upper left and lower right panels of the 4-panel image put on the LROC site. The pre-landing image is used to partially subtract topography - only partially as the lighting is different. I want to emphasize tracks.

In the right half I overlay red lines: the tracks as I mapped them in the map thread, and blue lines: another possible interpretation.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
William Pei
post Mar 5 2014, 07:15 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 7093

QUOTE (Cosmic Penguin @ Mar 5 2014, 02:14 AM) *
Are you sure? I saw 2016 mentioned elsewhere on the Chinese side.......

As a backup spaceship, Chang'E 2 was launched at next year of Chang'E 1, so Chang'E 4 will most possibly to launch at 2014, but this is depend on the progress of Longmarch-5 rocket and Wenchang space center, if Chang'E 4 decide launch at there, may be delay to 2015, but no more late than that time, because Chang'E 5 will launch at 2017 by an officilal statement.

+Quote Post
Thorsten Denk
post Mar 10 2014, 06:53 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 6632

Next Sunrise in 4 hours.
Will there be again a sign of life from Yłtł? sad.gif
(In two days or so of course!)

Thorsten

+Quote Post
Yeh
post Mar 10 2014, 11:03 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 7109

News this morning: http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2014-03-11/033929674756.shtml (in Chinese)

Ye Peijian mentioned that a "test probe" for Chang'E 5 will be launched late this year. The probe "will not land on the Moon or take samples", "simply travel to the Moon and come back". But he did not indicate this will be Chang'E 4 or just as a separate test mission.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 10 2014, 11:24 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 5221

Sounds like a free return trajectory. Or perhaps braking into orbit and then escaping again for the challenge?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 11 2014, 02:25 AM
Post #51

This is a quite separate mission, not Chang'E 4, and just intended to test the heat shield etc. for return to Earth.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Mar 11 2014, 07:50 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Mar 11 2014, 12:24 AM) *
Sounds like a free return trajectory.

apparently it will be a Chang'e-1 bus mated to the Chang'e 5 sample return capsule injected in a free return, lunar flyby orbit. I wonder if they will envisage a secondary mission for the bus, which will remain in a high energy, C3~=0 Earth orbit unless it reenters the atmosphere together with the capsule.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 12 2014, 04:18 PM
Post #53

According to this website:

http://news.163.com/14/0312/19/9N5KNCJ300014JB6.html

It seems Yutu has woken up again, thereby officially exceeding its design lifetime - if this Google translation (and my interpretation of it) is reliable:

"China news agency, Beijing, March 12 - "'Rabbit' is now in good shape, you can also expect extended service a long time." CPPCC National Committee, China Aerospace Science and Industry Group's third dean Weiyi Yin accepted in Beijing on the 12th News Agency reporter that interview.

Rabbit numbers is China's first lunar rover vehicles, the design life is three months. December 15, 2013, Chang E III lander and rover isolated rabbit numbers, "rabbit" successfully arrived on the lunar surface. 23:45 that night, the completion rabbit numbers rotate camera around Chang E on the 3rd and returns photos. Early morning of January 25 this year, Chang E III lunar rover before entering the second moonlit night sleep, the rover body control abnormal, February 10, the first rabbit No. wake fails, the night of February 12, lunar rabbit the car has been fully awake state is getting better, but the "agency" problems still need to be further recovery.

Weiyi Yin told reporters that despite the "rabbit" design life is approaching, but it is now in good shape, had been sick but wake up, long life than expected design life of many. "

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yeh
post Mar 12 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 7109

Phil - to me it seems Mr. Yin is just repeating what happened in Feb. It is a common practice for the delegrates to say something positive at the CPPCC, so no, I don't think he is saying Yutu's waking up.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 12 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 497

https://twitter.com/uhf_satcom is the most reliable source at the moment IMHO, and nothing has been seen.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 12 2014, 08:19 PM
Post #56

OK, my apologies, it sounded good to me.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
A.Nemo
post Mar 14 2014, 01:23 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 7094

Yutu alive and send signals
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Thorsten Denk
post Mar 14 2014, 06:46 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 6632

Great! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Liss
post Mar 15 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 439

Don't know if this is correct -- just reasoning.

As of Ye Peijian, the source of the partial failure of Yutu was an electrical fault in a control circuit in its driving unit which prevented folding mast, closing upper deck with the right solar panel and making correct attitude of the left solar panel.

This explanation contradicts official statements from January 25 which stated all pre-sleep actions had been conducted correctly.
And this explanation does not explain absense of any movement since January 22.
I also doubt a certain circuit is in charge for both articulating panels and powering wheel and direction control motors.

Could it be another way?

We know Yutu is very sensitive to night time attitude that should be of southern bearing and almost level roll (+1°...-2° or so) to have optimal thermal state in the morning at the moment of awaking.
If the problem appeared in the rover drive system which prevented taking this correct attitude on January 25 this naturally explains almost everything:
* absense of movement since then;
* fears of extreme cold in the night;
* late wake-up and early sleep in Lunar Day 3 vs. Day 2;
* and even the visible non-horizontality of both horizon and Chang'e 3 upper deck in the Lunar Day 3 stereo pair.

What do you think?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 18 2014, 01:27 AM
Post #60

Don't think of a single circuit, think of a single circuit board... maybe?

Anyhoo... just saw an LPSC poster with a full route map on it plus topo map and reprojected photomap... more news later.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:19 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.