Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager mosaics and images of Jupiter, A fresh look at some ancient stuff
Ian R
post Aug 29 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #16

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Group: Members
Member No.: 437

Bjorn, I neglected to congratulate you on an absolutely staggering mosaic -- this is a sure-fire contender for APOD, if ever I saw one!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 1 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #17

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

A new, big mosaic of Voyager 1 images, this time showing the Great Red Spot at high resolution. The first version has normal brightness and contrast and its overall color should be fairly accurate. Small scale features have been sharpened a bit. In the second one the contrast and sharpness have been greatly exaggerated:

Attached Image

Attached Image

This is a 4x3 mosaic of images. The processing is almost identical to the processing described in the first message of this thread so I'm not decribing it further here. One caveat though: There is probably some slight geometric distortion but it shouldn't be a problem in this case.

The images I used were obtained on March 4,1979 at a distance of about 1.85 million km. The first image (C1635314.IMQ) was obtained at 07:08:36 and the last one (C1635400.IMQ) at 07:45:24. The resolution is roughly 18 km/pixel.

Mosaics of some of these images have appeared before as 'official' image releases but interestingly, only 3x2 images were used in all cases. The offical mosaic can be seen at http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA00022 . There is a false color version (lots of blue color) that is better known: http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/...t-103317-sw.jpg

My new mosaic reveals an enormous amount of details, especially in the sharpened version. Some of these details I didn't know were visible in any images of Jupiter until relatively recently. The sunlight is coming form the east (right) and because the GRS is in the southern hemisphere it's really coming roughly from the ENE over the GRS and the regions south of it. With this in mind, vertical relief and cloud shadows are clearly visible at many locations around the GRS' periphery. A particularly good example can be seen near (2350,1600) and to the northeast of this location. There is another example near (2480,1080). The wind speeds are especially high there as the elongated appearance of these clouds may suggest. More examples can be seen near (600,980) and (370,920) and (540,1600) and possibly (925,550). These clouds have changed the appearance I imagine Jupiter would have from low altitude (1000 km or something like that). There are also some interesting clouds at (2270,605) and further east.

This is the highest resolution color mosaic completely covering the GRS that I have ever seen. Galileo didn't obtain GRS mosaics at this resolution and Cassini passed too far away from Jupiter. This image looks sufficiently different (and better!) from the old, official versions that in a way I feel like I'm processing stuff from a new planetary encounter when I see this. We will probably not be seeing anything comparable to this until EJSM (or some future spacecraft) starts orbiting Jupiter. Hopefully it will be carrying a camera capable of obtaining even higher resolution images than this from the distances it typically images Jupiter at high resolution.

Interestingly, the orange and violet images I used here were followed by a green filtered GRS mosaic ~40 minutes later. However, I couldn't used these instead of synthetic green because some of the clouds (especially in the GRS' northeast periphery) move so fast that the three color channels couldn't be properly aligned if I used the green images.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 1 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #18

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Wow.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 1 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 197

Oh my.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Sep 1 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 4270

Goodness O_o.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 2 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #21

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

ohmy.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Sep 2 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 1345

Whoa! The detail in that is A M A Z I N G ! ! !

Beautiful!

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 2 2010, 05:20 AM
Post #23

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

That's outrageously brilliant, Bjorn. That image deserves to be in astronomy textbooks for years to come.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Sep 2 2010, 05:28 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 5221

Holy.... holy!

And I thought the Jupiter mosaic from Cassini post-flyby was good! (I cut it out of a calendar and hung it on my wall)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 3 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #25

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Brilliant work!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Sep 3 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 103

One gets the impression of a "wall of clouds" to the west of the GRS - it appears almost like one is looking down several hundred miles through an upper cloud deck and that the GRS is far below. This may entirely be an optical illusion, but with my screen completely filled with the image, it's hard for me not to see it that way!

Congratulations!

Jonathan

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Sep 3 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 655

To echo comments above, this is astonishingly good. bravo Bjorn!!

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Sep 3 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 3511

Beautiful quality of detail. Congratulations!
My wife teaches 5th Grade and echoes Stu's textbook idea!

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 4 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #29

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Good gravy! I now officially have Jupiter-envy... biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Sep 4 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1828

beauty! would you call this close to natural color now?

the voyager cameras were quite good for the time and Ive gotten lots of mileage out of the images. the big difference was the lack of infrared capability, which allows you to look deeper into the atmosphere and see thermal updrafts and hot lavas (on io that is).

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:13 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.