Reply to this topicStart new topic
STS 122, Colombus to the ISS
djellison
post Feb 7 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #46

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Fortunately, Sky News in the UK often carries Nasa TV for 20 or so minutes during a shuttle launch. I wish someone could put together a business plan to have Nasa TV on Sky TV in the UK at, say, £10 a month.

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Feb 7 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #47

Guests

I'm having trouble viewing the launch on the NASA website and viewing NASA TV online. Firefox completely locks up and freezes for maybe 6-7 seconds. Or maybe my computer isnt up to the job lol

Anyone else having these problems?

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

+Quote Post
helvick
post Feb 7 2008, 10:50 PM
Post #48

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

No problem for me with Firefox (under Vista at any rate). Firefox's default settings for handling Windows Media on my machine seem to prevent the launch of a separate instance of WMP to make it possible to run in full screen mode, it did work fine under IE though.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 7 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #49

Founder

I just open http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1368570 in Quicktime (with flip4mac on OSX)

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Feb 7 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #50

Guests

The whole computer freezes too...I noticed the seconds no longer tick by on the clock in the task bar, so maybe the computer just isn't up to the job of handling these files.. Sigh, I need a new computer lol huh.gif ... still waiting for that updated Mac Mini.

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Feb 8 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #51

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

I'm very upset that my local cable provider does not carry, and does not intend to carry, NASA TV. One can never rely on the networks to show more than the period of launch up to SRB separation, if they cover that much!

My first job out of college (a looooooong time ago) was at a Government agency a block from NASA Headquarters in Washington. On the first Columbia mission, I walked over to NASA HQ and watched the landing from a press room off of the lobby. Those were the good ol' days.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 8 2008, 02:25 PM
Post #52

Founder

If you're in the continental US, you should be able to get NTV via about £70's worth of satellite receiving gear (at least, that's what it'd cost here - a 90cm dish and a digital decoder )

Frustratingly, we don't get it over here sad.gif I wish we could get it bounced over for a subscription.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 8 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #53

Guests

Columbus finally on its way, although I'm really looking forward to STS-125 to Hubble wink.gif
STS-122:
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Columbus/index.html

STS-125:
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images...5/ndxpage9.html

+Quote Post
vossinakis
post Feb 8 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 3987

I use VLC media player to watch the live feed of NASA TV. It is free and can record the feed to an avi file.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 8 2008, 08:04 PM
Post #55

Guests

Well, I just saw the ISS (bright dot) passing overhead twice here in Belgium, each time with a little dot (shuttle) in its path about 15 minutes later...

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 8 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #56

Founder

I saw them the first pass as well. Was it me, or was the Shuttle noticeably faster ( given the lower 'catch up' orbit )

Doug

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Feb 9 2008, 06:49 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 535

The shuttle is faster, since with each orbit it gets closer to the ISS by 480 miles.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Feb 9 2008, 11:05 AM
Post #58

Guests

It was one of the greatest launches I've ever seen smile.gif

Finally we will have a good molecular biology laboratory onboard ISS smile.gif

By the way I have some sources that onboard Atlantis there is a scientific instrument built by the Bulgarian Aerospace Agency. It will measure cosmic radiation. I don't know why our agency is so interested in measuring radiation. A similar instrument is mounted on Chandrayaan.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 9 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (punkboi @ Feb 9 2008, 07:49 AM) *
The shuttle is faster, since with each orbit it gets closer to the ISS by 480 miles.

This was discussed before and we came to the conclusion the apparent speed difference is not due to actual speed difference between the Shuttle/ISS but due to parallax - the shuttle being closer to the observer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 9 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #60

Founder

Stu and I conducted a highly scientific experiment.

Just as a 1813 ISS pass was happening, I phoned him at work. We watched the pass together. For me, it flew just left of Mars. For Stu, it was just above Betelgeuse, significantly lower. Using carefull science, trigonometric analysis, and accurate measurements - we can thus deduce that the ISS 'really quite high, and rather bright'

The predict was for -2.4 for me, but it flared to what I would estimate is -4 or more about 20-30 degrees above the horizon as it was setting.

Doug

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.