34 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 32 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
LROC news and images
john_s
post Mar 26 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #436

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

Sorry I missed your talk at LPSC, Phil, but I just checked out your abstract. Nice work! These hollows are fascinating. There seems to be a difference from the Mercury hollows, because those on Mercury are exclusively associated with impact craters, while the Moon ones are often associated with volcanic areas instead. Do you agree? I liked the suggestion at LPSC by Vaughan that the Mercury hollows were due to sublimation of some volatile "scum" that floated to the top of impact melt sheets, but I'm not sure how to apply that idea to lunar volcanic features.

John
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 26 2012, 02:41 PM
Post #437

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 26 2012, 01:47 PM) *
Rover target anyone?

I wouldn't volunteer to drive it for fear of triggering subsidence and being engulfed. That surface looks poorly supported to say the least.

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Mar 26 2012, 03:59 PM
Post #438

Member No.: 1102

QUOTE (James Fincannon @ Mar 26 2012, 10:12 AM) *
They looked like plateaus to me until I looked at another image M142570512. On second thought, I am having trouble visualizing them again. Are these plateaus or indentations?

It's the lighting! We are used to light coming from above in a scene. Print out the picture and flip upside down. --Well worked fine for me for one look, but turned it and now can't get my mid to let go of plateaus regardless of angle--darn visual cortex is not under voluntary control. laugh.gif

[edit] Put the picture on my wall and went for a 20 minute walk. Brain processed image correcty when I returned..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 26 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #439

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

They are depressions, for sure.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Mar 26 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #440

Member No.: 530

Would be a fun shape-from-shading image. Pretty neat.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 26 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #441

John - I agree about the difference between Mercury and Moon hollows... though some Mercury hollows are up on the central peaks or peak rings of craters and basins, and I'm not sure if that works with the impact melt idea. Hyginus and Sosigines craters contain hollows, but none other that I've found yet.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Mar 26 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #442

Member No.: 4489

They looked like plateaus to me

A standard optical illusion

light from the upper left corner or from the lower left
can invert the way the brain "sees" it

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 26 2012, 08:54 PM
Post #443

Member No.: 542

The cure: Arrange for the lighting in your room to be from the same direction as the lighting in the image. Conscious control over the visual cortex is thereby reasserted.

(Sorry - I've posted this before but I couldn't find where.)

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Mar 27 2012, 12:23 AM
Post #444

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

The voids remind me of what you see when a viscous liquid tries to flow across a rough surface, like paint on concrete or water spilling across hard-packed dirt. I'm not proposing that an analog process is occurring, just pointing out that's what it looks like -- particularly the boundaries inside the hollows the way they sort of curve downward and appear to pull back.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Mar 27 2012, 04:05 AM
Post #445

Member No.: 4489

The out gassing reminds me of what salt looks like on the concrete after the ice/water has evaporated
I live in the NORTH so ....(N 42.38841 )

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 24 2012, 02:14 PM
Post #446

Nice new pic from LRO for the Apollo 16 anniversary. Here's Shadow Rock (Station 13) above left of centre with footprints around it, and LRV tracks at lower right.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 5 2012, 04:21 AM
Post #447

I have added the Apollo 16 traverse map (at the LPI website) to the above map to show how accurate it was. The plotted Station 13 was about 50 m off its real location.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eutectic
post May 5 2012, 06:20 PM
Post #448

Member No.: 5860

QUOTE (James Fincannon @ Mar 26 2012, 09:12 AM) *
...Are these plateaus or indentations? The craters around them indicate indentations, but then the mind wants them to be plateaus....

They look more like hollows/indentations in the inverted image -- I think the bright regolith-free(?) surfaces in the original image make them look like plateaus. I can almost convince myself of subtle raised aprons around the hollows, as if the regolith were removed upward and outward. Imaging these hollows at different sun angles might be...illuminating.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
James Fincannon
post May 8 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #449

Member No.: 4887

Apollo Lunar Surface Journal on Apollo Flags as seen by LRO.

Hope you don't mind tooting my own horn, but I am pleased to be able to post something in the "nasa.gov" domain (it wasn't easy) on something I hope some people find of interest. See following link:
Apollo Lunar Surface Journal Apollo Flags Link

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 8 2012, 02:03 PM
Post #450

Toot away James, this is great.

But I would take issue with you on one point. At Apollo 15 you say there is no clear evidence of a flag shadow, and that is true in the first frames, but not in the last three where a very dark shadow appears and moves as expected. Maybe the orientation of the flag is such that the early frames are casting a very thin shadow (i.e. the sun is in the plane of the flag in the mid-morning).

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 32 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:05 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.