IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Astrobiology (december 2005)
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Dec 27 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Guests

The latest issue of the journal Astrobiology (Volume 5, Number 6, December 2005) is now available online.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jan 18 2006, 02:14 AM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Dec 27 2005, 05:50 PM)
The latest issue of the journal Astrobiology (Volume 5, Number 6, December 2005) is now available online.

For those of you without a subscription, note that the publisher is now offering free online access to the entire issue.

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 26 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

Ward’s new book Life as We Do Not Know It: The NASA Search for (and Synthesis of) Alien Life ... maintains Ward’s skepticism about finding intelligent aliens.

However, the book builds on the less-noticed flip side of Ward and Brownlee’s “Rare Earth Hypothesis” -- that simple life may be fairly common. In this view, microbial life may evolve rather readily from non-life, and can sustain itself in a wide range of conditions, but only rarely does a planet or moon remain habitable long enough for complex life to develop (and such life is far more fragile than microbes).

Finding extraterrestrial life, for Ward, thus becomes a question of hunting alien microbes, and he regards it as quite plausible that these will be found within our solar system.

Life as We Do Not Know It provides an intriguing discussion of possible varieties of alien organisms, and a world-by-world survey of the prospects for finding them in our own cosmic backyard.

Ward also proposes some changes to standard scientific thinking about how to define and classify life, and he makes a case for sending humans, not just robotic probes, to search for life on other worlds -- in particular Mars and Saturn’s moon Titan.

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=012206B

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.