Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedro_Sondas
post Nov 30 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 246

QUOTE (robspace54 @ Nov 17 2008, 12:19 AM) *
Here is a tiny URL link - http://tinyurl.com/6quhfd - to an October 1977 NASA document with the ISEE A, B, and C press kit on pages 18 to 48.

Rob

Hi Rob!

The link is: ADDRESS BY NASA ADMINISTRATOR DAN GOLDIN TO KENNEDY SPACE CENTER EMPLOYEES - JANUARY 27,1995

blink.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Dec 2 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 758

Wow! How did that happen? A TinyURL error? I'll check my source data on my home computer and post the correct link, I hope.

Rob

The original is "NASA-NEWS-RELEASE-77-213; P77-10213" It appears that the IT mavens at NASA have switched file numbers. I have the edited file downloaded and in hand, so if someone could "host" the ISEE Press Kit, I'd appreciate it. Left me know!

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Dec 4 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #49

I broke the ISEE 1977 Press Kit into two parts to post them here.

Rob
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ISEE_1977_Press_Kit_Part1.PDF ( 759.53K ) Number of downloads: 684

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Dec 4 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #50

And here is part 2.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ISEE_1977_Press_Kit_Part2.PDF ( 489.11K ) Number of downloads: 948

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Dec 15 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #51

QUOTE (Weasle @ Nov 14 2008, 10:35 AM) *
My girlfriend scanned me some, 15 to 20 pictures from the original photos taken back way back when, before I was born! lol.

They are in my email now and I will post them up when I get time later.

Carlos, I know that the holidays are almost here, but will you have any time soon to post more photos of ICE, the plucky old space probe?

Rob

+Quote Post
Jeffrey
post Mar 5 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 4600

I wonder what would be the point of turning off the radio transmitter in the first place. If ICE can be used again (and I remember reading about this back in the pages of Odyssey [does anyone remember that magazine?] back when I was a teenager) then I wonder if there are other spaceprobes out there that could be used again save a deactivated transmitter.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 30 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #53

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

A new mission is being studied - http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2009DDA....40.1302D

This would be a great mission...the flyby would occur in 2018, around the same time as Comet Wirtanen comes within 7 million kilometers (.08 AU - for comparison, the close flyby of Comet Hyakutake in 1996 was .1 AU) of earth, likely becoming visible to the unaided eye and allowing observatories on earth and in earth orbit to image the comet while ICE takes in situ data. I hope NASA isn't short-sighted on this one. I imagine this mission would be quite cheap, and would greatly enhance science gained in it's close approach. Because of upcoming flybys of Jupiter, Wirtanen will not come very close to earth again (at least while any of us are alive, save if some technology allows our talking heads to be kept alive in a pickle jar or something). If this comet sounds familiar, it was Rosetta's original target.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Seryddwr
post Apr 21 2012, 01:17 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 6058

Has there been any more on this possibility? I was re-reading Emily's blog today, and I wondered if the Mission of Opportunity was going ahead or not. The last I heard (some time in the autumn) was that Robert Farquhar was pushing hard for it, but I've seen nothing anywhere about it since. It seems too good an opportunity to pass up - a mere $25 million of infrastructural investment gets you a comet flyby! (No nice pictures, I know, but still...)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 23 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #55

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Seryddwr @ Apr 21 2012, 01:17 PM) *
Has there been any more on this possibility? I was re-reading Emily's blog today, and I wondered if the Mission of Opportunity was going ahead or not. The last I heard (some time in the autumn) was that Robert Farquhar was pushing hard for it, but I've seen nothing anywhere about it since. It seems too good an opportunity to pass up - a mere $25 million of infrastructural investment gets you a comet flyby! (No nice pictures, I know, but still...)

Where did you hear the $25 million figure? BTW, it is Farquhar. It is briefly mentioned here. The fact that it would be .08 AU from earth at the time means that there would indeed be pretty pictures - just not from ICE itself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Apr 23 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Apr 23 2012, 08:32 PM) *
Where did you hear the $25 million figure?

it is mentioned in Farquhar's bio "fifty years on the space frontiers" (p. 407):

I've estimated the total cost for the ICE extended mission to be somewhere between $20 to $25 million over a six-year period (2013-18)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:16 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.