37 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Inaccuracy in reporting astronomy and science
climber
post May 13 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 682

May be this telescope is only limited to Zodiacal contellations observations?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 13 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #122

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Stu and I got into full on ESA ranting mode in the pub smile.gif

All credit really has to go to Stu for pulling together an excellent astronomy society - friendly, interested etc. Without a proper audience, I would essentially be a mad person in front of an empty room going 'Look, MARS'.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 13 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #123

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

You guys need to take it on the road...let me know when the LA tour date is! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 13 2008, 09:38 PM
Post #124

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

The only problem with having Doug as a guest speaker is that he's an impossible act to follow. Not (just) because he's a genuinely brilliant speaker, but because his laptop has more frakking special effects than Industrial Light and Magic, and I know from past experience that next month, when I give my news round up, each time I change the Powerpoint slide there'll be people whispering in the darkness "Huh... call that a transition? Doug's pictures rippled... or burst into flames... or dissolved into lovely twinkly stars..." rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AndyG
post May 19 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 279

Rarely a day passes...

Getting the award tonight has to be the BBC (once again). This story informs me that a laser has created temperatures hotter than the surface of the sun.

Ok, so 10 million degrees Celsius is technically hotter than 5800K. But we know what they meant to say...

Andy

Edit: The story has been altered. The website, I'll grant them, shows good editorial response by the BBC - but shouldn't sloppy-copy be nipped in the bud?

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 19 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #126

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (djellison @ May 13 2008, 01:41 PM) *
Without a proper audience, I would essentially be a mad person in front of an empty room going 'Look, MARS'.

Er, isn't that what all of us essentially are most of the time? rolleyes.gif God knows I've endured enough weird looks, nicknames such as "Mr. Mars", and other such things over the years from friends & colleagues. I just applaud you guys for having the guts and motivation to do it in front of a mass audience!

(Sorry; just had to mock the state of being!)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post May 21 2008, 03:38 AM
Post #127

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

Has anyone else noticed that the science channel keeps running ads across the bottom of the screen for the landing of the Phoenix rover? Sigh.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 21 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #128

Merciless Robot

You gotta be kidding me. (Have to admit I'm hooked on The Deadliest Catch, so watching that now...)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 28 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #129

The Poet Dude

I know I shouldn't laugh at this coverage of the Phoenix landing, seriously I do, but, well, I couldn't help it. It's inaccurate and disrespectful, and a part of me feels really guilty for laughing outloud like I did, but...

Attached Image

Attached Image

... and watch the little video at: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1211879.ece

Shocking, I know, but DEFINITELY going to be used in my Phoenix talk on Saturday morning...! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 28 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #130

Merciless Robot

Funny, I admit... smile.gif ...but one does have to wonder how much damage has been done to human progress over the millennia by mocking asses.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 28 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #131

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

BBC News did very well on Monday evening.

Phoenix will be on the surface for 90 days ( and then what, it's coming home? )
Jet engines helped it land on the surface ( what, like on a Jumbo Jet? )
It will look for signs of life ( this is pure fiction, coming from every side of the media, and it drives me bad )

Doug

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 28 2008, 01:34 PM
Post #132

The Poet Dude

I know, but The Sun isn't really a widely-read journal of popular science anyway, to be honest tongue.gif I just thought it was a bit of fun. Every other newspaper I've seen has supported the mission's objectives and covered the story really well, which was good to see.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ustrax
post May 28 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #133

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (djellison @ May 28 2008, 02:31 PM) *

And Euronews also...
I remember on the landing day morning they keep on repeating that Phoenix took nine years reach Mars...and no...it was not mpletaphorical... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post May 28 2008, 01:40 PM
Post #134

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ May 28 2008, 02:31 PM) *

Phoenix will be on the surface for 90 days ( and then what, it's coming home? )
Jet engines helped it land on the surface ( what, like on a Jumbo Jet? )
It will look for signs of life ( this is pure fiction, coming from every side of the media, and it drives me bad )

Doug

I tend to ignore reporting on traditional news sites... the inaccurate reporting just annoys me too much. mad.gif I suppose they think it just doesn't matter, because people won't know any different.

Although nothing quite compares to BBC's TV's News piece about a year ago on how Hubble had "fired a beam of light across the universe" rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 28 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #135

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Sunspot @ May 28 2008, 03:40 PM) *
I tend to ignore reporting on traditional news sites... the inaccurate reporting just annoys me too much.

I hear you, brother. I'm having seizures looking at how much crap local media puts out when it comes to astronomy. Just when I think they cannot possibly get any more ignorant, they redefine the boundary.

My best advice now to friends reading astronomy news in the media is: DON'T.

--------------------

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:34 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.