Reply to this topicStart new topic
EPOXI Mission News
elakdawalla
post Sep 20 2013, 11:05 PM
Post #376

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

My limited understanding of the nature of the glitch is that it wasn't a bad command recently sent to the spacecraft like with Viking or MGS, but rather something that was lurking in the code for a very long time, and suddenly became fatal when the spacecraft clock ticked across a threshold. If that makes it any better.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Sep 20 2013, 11:15 PM
Post #377

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

I wasn't implying poor ground control; I just would prefer it be something unavoidable, even a pebble, rather than some old programming glitch.

And hey, soon we'll have Rosetta coming online for our comet fix...

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 21 2013, 04:32 PM
Post #378

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

It's just entropy at work. SOMETHING eventually happens, and the system becomes disorderly.

That's just the way the Universe works. Nothing survives the effects of probability ever; the engineering challenge is to increase the amount of time between construction & a fatal event.

Again, this mission FAR exceeded expectations & vastly increased our knowledge of comets. I think that the entire team deserves more kudos than they'll ever get.

If any of them ever read this, THANK YOU!!! smile.gif Been one hell of a great ride!

EDIT: And let's not forget that the Chairman of UMSF, Doug, was on console for the Hartley-2 encounter, so at least in spirit all of us were direct participants in this mission.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Sep 21 2013, 04:38 PM
Post #379

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Oh we definitely remember that... and watching the first reaction to the 2005 impact on NASA TV. Easily comparable to the Curiosity landing, though never replayed anywhere as far as I can find (outside this forum).

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  « < 24 25 26
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:22 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.