IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Stereograph Of Nebula
Harry
post Oct 23 2005, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 531

The following pictures are the synthesized stereographs for Eagle Nebula (originally taken by HST). Please view them with parallel eyes or crossed eyes.
For other planetary stereographs, visit;

http://139.134.5.123/tiddler2/stereographe...bula/nebula.htm
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
malgar
post Oct 23 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 401

Hi Harry, I like very much your 3D works. I would like to visit the page that explains how to do that but it doesn't work.. sad.gif
How can I view this page?
http://139.134.5.123/tiddler2/stereographer/stereograph.htm

Bye,
Ale.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Oct 23 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 150

Ciao, Malgar wink.gif . Some stereograms are really stunning and I'm intrigued by the method... congratulations, Harry!
About link malfunction, using windows, I'm able to see the page in the link, even if I'm required to insert my email adress in order to avoid spam (and t hen appear a "Comment/Enquiry Form" to be filled).
However, also in the link no clear explaination is done about method to extract/assign depth information... even if not said, visualization method should be "parallel eyes" but this limits images sizes! sad.gif
I do not easily visualize parallel eyes stereograms and I prefere crossed-eys... using this technique, nebulae/galaxies are realistic because luminous (closest) stars appear in the foreground. So I suspect they are wrongly showed in background in the original "parallel eyes" version... Harry, is possible to correct it?

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Harry
post Oct 24 2005, 01:48 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (malgar @ Oct 23 2005, 05:35 PM)
Hi Harry, I like very much your 3D works. I would like to visit the page that explains how to do that but it doesn't work.. sad.gif
How can I view this page?
http://139.134.5.123/tiddler2/stereographer/stereograph.htm

Bye,
Ale.

Oh, sorry. Probably some Javascript checker had worked on your browser when visiting my website. Is it available to make that checker off temporally?

+Quote Post
Harry
post Oct 24 2005, 02:28 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (dilo @ Oct 23 2005, 08:44 PM)
Ciao, Malgar  wink.gif . Some stereograms are really stunning and I'm intrigued by the method... congratulations, Harry!
About link malfunction, using windows, I'm able to see the page in the link, even if I'm required to insert my email adress in order to avoid spam (and t hen appear a "Comment/Enquiry Form" to be filled).
However, also in the link no clear explaination is done about method to extract/assign depth information... even if not said, visualization method should be "parallel eyes" but this limits images sizes!  sad.gif
I do not easily visualize parallel eyes stereograms and I prefere crossed-eys... using this technique, nebulae/galaxies are realistic because luminous (closest) stars appear in the foreground. So I suspect they are wrongly showed in background in the original "parallel eyes" version... Harry, is possible to correct it?

Probably the lack of explanations has made visitors confuse. Surely I didn't mentioned whether "parallel eyes" or "crossed eyes" should be applied for in the website. Actually some of pictures in the attached gallery are for "parallel eyes" and some others are for "crossed eyes"! I should have noted which method is applied for each pictures...

By the way I attached another synthesized stereographs (software: Stereographer, focus depth:=2, slide level:=3). Please view them with parallel eyes or crossed eyes you prefer.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Oct 24 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 239

Harry:

I can do free-view cross-eyed quite easily, I need a viewer for the parallel chaps though!

I looked at your website, but I have to say that I'm slightly at a loss as to how images at infinity can be turned into such effective 3D representations. The nebulae images look really, er, real, yet the information required for them to be real images is plainly unavailable to us.

You've not got a Police Box parked in the street, have you?

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
dilo
post Oct 24 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Harry @ Oct 24 2005, 02:28 AM)
By the way I attached another synthesized stereograph. Do you see it with parallel eyes or crossed eyes? (for me it is better or realistic to see it with parallel eyes.)

I tried both methods...
Also for this image, I prefere crossed eyes view for two reasons, both already mentioned: 1) Stars look closer than Horse nebula, as they should; 2) I'm not confortable with parallel eyes method, and I cannot perfectly focus in this way sad.gif .
Generally speaking, parallel eyes give the sensation to see an infinitely distant object (which is a clear benefit for these astronomical subjects) but have a great handicap related to the small images dimensions needed to see it (distance between images centers shouldn't exceed inter-ocular spacing, in fact I had to rescale them on the screen of my monitor..).
I suggest you to split your beatiful gallery in two sections, based on the method to be used.
Anyway, we all are asking the same thing to you: how did you extracted so "realistic" and detailed depth informations from original images???
The result is so amazing that I'm seriously thinking some kind of magic! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 24 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #8

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Harry @ Oct 24 2005, 02:28 AM)
Do you see it with parallel eyes or crossed eyes? (for me it is better or realistic to see it with parallel eyes.)

I'm waiting for the analglyph.....

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Oct 25 2005, 01:45 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 24 2005, 11:09 PM)
I'm waiting for the analglyph.....

Hope Harry do not mind if I post this "anaglyphed" version of one stereogram:
Attached File(s)
Attached File  nebula.bmp ( 121.97K ) Number of downloads: 394

--------------------

+Quote Post
Harry
post Oct 26 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (dilo @ Oct 24 2005, 09:37 PM)
I tried both methods...
Also for this image, I prefere crossed eyes view for two reasons, both already mentioned: 1) Stars look closer than Horse nebula, as they should; 2) I'm not confortable with parallel eyes method, and I cannot perfectly focus in this way  sad.gif .
Generally speaking, parallel eyes give the sensation to see an infinitely distant object (which is a clear benefit for these astronomical subjects) but have a great handicap related to the small images dimensions needed to see it (distance between images centers shouldn't exceed inter-ocular spacing, in fact I had to rescale them on the screen of my monitor..).
I suggest you to split your beatiful gallery in two sections, based on the method to be used.
Anyway, we all are asking the same thing to you: how did you extracted so "realistic" and detailed depth informations from original images???
The result is so amazing that I'm seriously thinking some kind of magic!  laugh.gif

I found some people prefer crossed eyes view and some other people don't. So I think I should prepare two types of stereograph, then he or she can choose parallel eyes view or crossed eyes view which he or she prefer. I modified previous my posts by adding stereographs for different viewing method.

The method I employed is for detecting the deviation from focal point on each spot of the original picture (for detail of that method, please visit: Focus Corrector.) However it can not distinguish whether that deviation is in front of or behind the focal point. Therefore the viewing method (i.e. parallel eyes or crossed eyes) applied for the stereograph depends on whether the focal point is in the foreground or background of original picture. That's why the stereographs for parallel eyes and crossed eyes are mixed promiscuously in my gallery. Following your suggestion, I'll modify my gallery by adding stereographs for different viewing method.

+Quote Post
Harry
post Oct 26 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (dilo @ Oct 25 2005, 01:45 AM)
Hope Harry do not mind if I post this "anaglyphed" version of one stereogram:

Nice anaglyph! I also have made the program for creating anaglyph, but yours is quite better than mine.

The following stereographs are for the part of Keyhole Nebula. Please view them with parallel eyes or crossed eyes you prefer.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Harry
post Oct 27 2005, 11:19 AM
Post #12

Perhaps someone may think measuring the deviation from focal point is meaningless for astronomical objects since their focal length from telescope is regarded as infinity. However as shown in the following stereographs of clouds on earth synthesized by Stereographer (please view them with parallel eyes or crossed eyes which you prefer), we can see those clouds perspectively even their focal length is almost infinity for our eyes. Namely our eyes are thought to recognize 3-dimensional feature of object without perceiving the difference of geometrical focal length.

Also I attached the synthesized stereographs of Orion Nebula (please view them with parallel eyes or crossed eyes which you prefer.)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Harry
post Oct 28 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #13

The following images are the stereograph for Orionis Nebula. The original image was taken by HST.
(view: parallel eyes)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Oct 28 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (Harry @ Oct 27 2005, 12:19 PM)
Perhaps someone may think measuring the deviation from focal point is meaningless for astronomical objects since their focal length from telescope is regarded as infinity. However as shown in the following stereographs of clouds on earth synthesized by Stereographer (please view them with parallel eyes or crossed eyes which you prefer), we can see those clouds perspectively even their focal length is almost infinity for our eyes. Namely our eyes are thought to recognize 3-dimensional feature of object without perceiving the difference of geometrical focal length.

Also I attached the synthesized stereographs of Orion Nebula (please view them with parallel eyes or crossed eyes which you prefer.)

Harry:

I've (oddly enough) wanted to make 3D images of clouds for years, but I confess that the only methods I could come up with involved several cameras at different locations. I can't for the life of me see how real stereo images can be generated from (in Terrestrial terms) any objects which are within the hyperfocal distance(s) of a single image taken with one lens. By definition, they are are on one plane!

It may be that physiological tricks can be played with images which will persuade us that depth is present, but I don't think that they represent the actual 3D structures, however interesting the results appear!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Oct 29 2005, 05:32 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 426

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Oct 28 2005, 04:38 PM)
...I can't for the life of me see how real stereo images can be generated from (in Terrestrial terms) any objects which are within the hyperfocal distance(s) of a single image taken with one lens.  By definition, they are are on one plane!

There's no way we can get _real_ stereo images, of course. My gut-instinct guess is that the closest we could get would probably be Proxima Centauri and Alpha Centauri A/B, using photos taken over the course of several years. Even for this example, though, the mutual revolution of A and B during the time lapse between images would probably spoil the effect (unless we waited exactly one A/B orbital period).

However, it should be possible to manipulate images to artifically incorporate information about distance, by moving pixels around. That's probably what is being done here.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.