Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hope-Mars Operations, UAE Orbiter Mission Events & Science
djellison
post Aug 17 2022, 11:55 PM
Post #31

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

When looking at the pop-up quicklook page for an image - a row of download links to the various levels of calibrated FITS files rather than having to jump from the quicklook to the 'find related data' and the select and hit download on a specific L2A product would make it a little easier.

Also - the quicklook page having more search tools ( i.e. show me all the xos4 mode images in these three wavelengths from Date X to Date Y ) would be useful as well.

But this is all nitpicking - it's a great repository - and the weekly RGB xos4 image are spectacular.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Aug 18 2022, 08:37 AM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 172

QUOTE (mwolff @ Aug 17 2022, 05:33 PM) *
Dear Viking,
thank you for the excellent suggestions. I have previewed the public page again to jog my memory. I will submit 1 and 2 today, thank you.
What do you think of a Magnify Glass icon for the higher resolution data? The problem is this though
any suggestions that would help you here?
--mike

Dear Mike,
Thanks a lot for your kind answer, much appreciated smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
In fact, a download option for full resolution images in readily viewable formats (such as 'JPEG' and/or 'PNG') would be already a great improvement to raise interest in the widest public audience possible for this spectacular mission.
A 'Magnify Glass icon', would be an interesting improvement too, but I think that it is not an essential one: by downloading high resolution images on your computer, you can zoom on them directly on your screen.
Thanks a lot in advance in advance for submitting those improvements and with warmest regards,
Olivier (aka 'Vikingmars')

+Quote Post
mwolff
post Aug 29 2022, 01:33 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 646

David and Olivier --

I have asked for some features to be added QL page...and the ability to add some descriptive text. I will post when I am told that these are available.

regards,

mike

David and Olivier --

I have asked for some features to be added QL page...and the ability to add some descriptive text. I will post when I am told that these are available.

regards,

mike

+Quote Post
mwolff
post Aug 29 2022, 03:14 PM
Post #34

Dear Olivier --

There may be some confusion, or the page has updated and didn't realize it. On the EXI Quicklook page, when you selelect multiple Quicklook files to download, they are coming down at the resolution that they were obtained. It is a question of the file type. xos2 are binned 16x16 to begin; xos1 are 2x2 binning (4x4 for B and G), BUT we wre using a region of interest, so the size of the image can be smaller that half of the detector...but at the resolution of the original observation. xos4 will have RGB at native resolution.

i have asked for a pulldown to select a specific XOSn for quick looks (among other options).

cordialement,

mike

QUOTE (vikingmars @ Aug 18 2022, 02:37 AM) *
smile.gif
In fact, a download option for full resolution images in readily viewable formats (such as 'JPEG' and/or 'PNG') would be already a great improvement to raise interest in the widest public audience possible for this spectacular mission.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 30 2022, 01:56 AM
Post #35

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (mwolff @ Aug 29 2022, 07:14 AM) *
xos1 are 2x2 binning (4x4 for B and G)

Oh my god you've gone full MER Prime Mission pancam with the thing. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mwolff
post Sep 30 2022, 12:06 PM
Post #36

still working with developers on this. there is more flexibiliy on the general data page, but I am pushing for more capability on the Quicklook page itself.

mike

QUOTE (mwolff @ Aug 29 2022, 09:14 AM) *
Dear Olivier --

There may be some confusion, or the page has updated and didn't realize it. On the EXI Quicklook page, when you selelect multiple Quicklook files to download, they are coming down at the resolution that they were obtained. It is a question of the file type. xos2 are binned 16x16 to begin; xos1 are 2x2 binning (4x4 for B and G), BUT we wre using a region of interest, so the size of the image can be smaller that half of the detector...but at the resolution of the original observation. xos4 will have RGB at native resolution.

i have asked for a pulldown to select a specific XOSn for quick looks (among other options).

cordialement,

mike

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Sep 30 2022, 01:04 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (mwolff @ Sep 30 2022, 02:06 PM) *
still working with developers on this. there is more flexibiliy on the general data page, but I am pushing for more capability on the Quicklook page itself.
mike

Dear Mike.
Thank you so much for your efforts, much appreciated smile.gif

+Quote Post
bobik
post Feb 10 2023, 12:36 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 6732

Hope probe moves to new orbit to observe Deimos

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 10 2023, 08:48 PM
Post #39

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

This is very exciting to me. Phobos has been imaged thoroughly but Deimos is still very poorly covered. At least 30% of Deimos has only been seen in one single image (below), most of it with high sun angle (low phase), so no stereo for topography (the stereo pair image was hopelessly overexposed) and very poor knowledge of the terrain morphology. That big gap in the shape model means its shape is still poorly determined compared to many comparable objects. This new imaging campaign is very welcome and Hope is the only current mission with a chance of doing this. Looking forward to the results! A nice precursor to MMX.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 10 2023, 10:21 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 530

Phil, that image is MEX or MRO-HiRise?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 10 2023, 11:54 PM
Post #41

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Viking Orbiter 1 image 507a01. Here is a larger version:

Attached Image

Neither MEX nor MRO can get round the back of Deimos to view this region. Since Viking, only India's MOM has seen this region and that was at VERY low resolution. The bright spot on the limb at about 11 o'clock is a crater which has only ever been seen by Viking in this image and by Mariner 9. That's how poor our imaging coverage is.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Feb 11 2023, 10:28 AM
Post #42

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Feb 11 2023, 12:54 AM) *
Viking Orbiter 1 image 507a01. Here is a larger version:
Neither MEX nor MRO can get round the back of Deimos to view this region. Since Viking, only India's MOM has seen this region and that was at VERY low resolution. The bright spot on the limb at about 11 o'clock is a crater which has only ever been seen by Viking in this image and by Mariner 9. That's how poor our imaging coverage is. Phil

Thanks a lot Phil: this is one of my favorite images from the Viking missions! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Apr 24 2023, 07:11 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 5221

New images from the Deimos flyby (with Mars in the background!) released

Observations apparently favour an origin as part of Mars, instead of being captured asteroids...

+Quote Post
kymani76
post Apr 24 2023, 08:55 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 2461

Attached Image

Deimos fly-by sequence from the animation frames in the press release. It's nice to have new views, but I'm not sure that crater Phil was talking about is visible.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 24 2023, 09:34 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 152

Here's my attempt at identifying features between the Viking and Hope images:
Attached Image

It seems the bright crater Phil pointed out (at around 11 o'clock on the rim in the Viking frame) is visible in the Hope images.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:43 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.