13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Spirit cleaner?
alan
post Jun 18 2007, 06:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

I've been keeping an eye on the sundial images looking for signs of a cleaning event. I've noticed some changes in the latest to be downloaded although they may be due to changes in the lighting.

Attached Image

A : clean patch at top of circle streak at bottom
B : increased contrast from dust left behind next to mirror
C : clean patch next to wire

Also note the missing clumps of dust on the deck
Attached Image

A broader view show a contrast between sol 1221 and 1227
http://207.7.139.5/mars/spirit/navcam/2007...I4P0165L0M1.JPG
http://207.7.139.5/mars/spirit/navcam/2007...00P1914L0M1.JPG

Has anyone heard if there has been a change in the power levels?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
akuo
post Jun 18 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 63

The lighting would appear to be almost exactly the same, as the shadow positions are almost exact.

I think you are correct about the changes you point out. I imagine the overall cleaning effect would be small, though.

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post Jun 18 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1376

Just saw the latest images and rushed here to find out what more knowledgeable people were saying about it. But my impression was also that she's had a cleaning event.

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jun 18 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 132

The definitive answer would come in the form of a boost in power.... waiting... hoping...

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 19 2007, 03:50 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 152

Yes! We're above 600 Whr!! biggrin.gif

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/sta...ll.html#sol1219

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 19 2007, 04:11 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 15

When you look at the rocks in specific and the surface in general, it sort of makes sense that an object like a MER would get wind-cleaned several times over the course of a Martian year.

If there was nothing happening on this surface except steady dust accumulation, the local surface would be buried in millions of years' worth of dustfall. The winds have to be capable of moving the dust along, or else the rocks would have dust caps and be buried in airfall dust. The fact that the rocks are not generally dust-covered (and are in fact aeolian-sculpted) and the soil is not completely covered with airfall dust argues for enough wind to blow the dust off the rocks at a greater rate than the dust falls out of the air.

Of course, no one could have known if the periodicity of deposition/deflation events would be timed well enough to keep a solar powered rover working over a long haul. And extreme dustfall events, like global dust storms, would still probably doom a MER. But, on average, what we observe on the scene suggests an environment where solar panels will be cleaned just slightly more than they will be dirtied.

If you want more proof of this general charateristic of Mars, look at the HiRISE images of the Vikings. They retain some of their blue-white coloration to this day, which means they have been cleaned more than they have been dirtied. It's only a gross confirmation, but it suggests that objects on Mars won't become (or remain) completely dust-covered on the scale of decades to centuries.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jun 19 2007, 04:12 AM
Post #7

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (fredk @ Jun 19 2007, 03:50 AM) *
Yes! We're above 600 Whr!! biggrin.gif

The news we've all been waiting for! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 19 2007, 04:13 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 15

Oh, yes, and I forgot to add: Above 600 Whr!!!! Hallelujah!!!!!!

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
slinted
post Jun 19 2007, 04:33 AM
Post #9

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

This is great news! That great a percentage increase is impressive, considering just how dusty Spirit was.

Here's a pancam comparison between sol 1213 and 1223, showing one spot (also visible in alan's images above) partially cleaned by the wind:

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jun 19 2007, 04:33 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 116

Alan: You're the man with the first good news in a long time. smile.gif Congratulations. smile.gif

I recently noticed some DDs apparently moving toward Spirit, which seems to be an unusual direction for them. cool.gif

Very good points, O'Doug.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Jeff7
post Jun 19 2007, 05:03 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 180

Most excellent news. smile.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 19 2007, 06:04 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 197

OK where's Helvick? We want to see that chart now!

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 19 2007, 08:08 AM
Post #13

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Looks like a self portrait was put in work yesterday after the cleaning. I'm REALLY out of stitching practice ohmy.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
akuo
post Jun 19 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 63

The solar cells looks patchy, like the wind cleaned some parts and left clumps of dust behind. This is in contrast to the overall hazy appearance of Spirit's deck previously.

Great news about the power levels!

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jun 19 2007, 08:41 AM
Post #15

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

We're well past the edge of my charts now and my extrapolations would appear to have been too conservative. I had thought she was at slightly below 400whr prior to this cleaning event but it appears that she was actually about 100whr higher. This is probably due to errors in the insolation\atmosphere model that I used (which is based on pre pathfinder data IIRC) and an over aggressive estimation of dust deposition.

I'll rebuild the chart and try to adjust for the errors to see what that produces. It will take a day or two though to dust them off, so to speak.

Great news though - this gives her another respectable extension on her life expectancy.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:03 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.