Reply to this topicStart new topic
Forum Logos
djellison
post Oct 5 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #31

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Previously someone asked about the numbers of planets in the line up. Until someone recalls the two Pioneer spacecraft and etches out Pluto on their plaques (for that is where they, and the normal logo come from) then it will remain as it is smile.gif

Dou
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 6 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #32

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Del Palmer @ Oct 5 2007, 01:02 PM) *
Being envious about their future is silly and unproductive. smile.gif

I find it very productive actually, and I suspect others here do too. Being envious of what the youngsters of today will see and do in their future is the main driving force behind all the Outreach work I do in schools, and also behind writing the children's space books I've written: I want to make sure they appreciate the opportunities they'll have and the wonders they'll see, and don't just lose themselves in an apathetic world of iPods, gangsta-rap and celebrity worship. I can't tell them what it WAS like to fly into space because I haven't done it myself, but I can tell them what events will happen, eventually, in their future, and encourage them to be a part of that future, an active part and not just an armchair observer.

When I stand in front of a classroom packed with over 100 7 and 8 year olds, and take them on my "Tour of the Solar System", and show them how when they grow up people will be walking on the Moon again, and walking on Mars for the first time, am I thinking "Won't that be great?" You bet. Am I also scanning the faces of the kids around me and wondering "Will it be YOU doing that for real one day?" Absolutely. Am I growling inside, thinking "You lucky, lucky *****s, you'll get to see things I have dreamed about for years"? Damn right. But it's that jealousy and enthusiasm that I hope - and I'm told - helps make my talks in schools so useful, because the message is a positive one. A jealous one, yes, guilty as charged, but in that I think I'm no different to many people here, or to people in previous ages who've wished they could see the next generation of racing cars, or fighter aircraft, or musicians or sportsmen or etc etc...

Somewhere, right now, there's a kid who'll grow up to become the first person to stand on the edge of Valles Marineris and peer down at its floor. I hate him or her and am jealous of them for that, sure, but not in a vindictive way.

Envious? Fair enough. Silly? Don't think so.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Oct 6 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #33

Group: Members
Member No.: 1638

That's interesting, Stu. I've also given talks at local schools (spurred on by encouragement via e-mail from David Levy) but I only ever talk about the past and present. My talks are driven by the excitement of what we've learned and our current exploits. The future is not something I ever think about. As a consequence, I'm not envious at all. Not sure why I am "future-blind"; is it a blessing or a curse? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 6 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #34

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Good to hear of someone else doing schools Outreach Del! smile.gif Personally, I can't imagine going into a school and giving a talk without mentioning what those kids could do in the future. I like to leave a school thinking that I've maybe helped inspire just a couple of the little monsters young children enough to make them at least want to find out more on their own, or maybe think seriously about how they might go into space, or science, when older. I also shine a spotlight on what we've achieved, and are doing today, but I can't imagine not discussing the plans to send people to the Moon and Mars, or land probes on Europa, or one day take images of Earth-like worlds orbiting distant stars... If you don't talk about the future, it's just history and current affairs.

Different when I talk to a U3A or WIDENING HORIZONS group - all retired people - because chances are rather slim that they'll ever "grow up" to walk on the Moon wink.gif but with a school class or a church hall full of Brownies or Scouts or whatever I feel a kind of obligation to try and get them excited about the possibilities in their future, and maybe help give them something else to think about instead of hanging around street corners listening to 50 Cent on their mobile phones and secretly swigging cider out of Coke cans... biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenny
post Oct 9 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 759

I like the new design, it IS a significant anniversary worth marking, and I was pleased to see some recollections from the few of us old enough to actually recall the event.

Here, for anyone interested, is my take on Sputnik and the first 50 years of the space age, as it appeared in The Herald newspaper, Glasgow, last week. To test the observant and the knowledgeable, there is a small error re Laika.

The Herald on Sputnik at 50

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 8 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #36

Guests

Great to see the Sputnik logo is still 'alive & kicking' wink.gif
What will be the next Unmanned spacecraft in the logo ( Echo 1 ) ???

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 8 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #37

Founder

There are plans.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 19 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #38

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Ha! biggrin.gif 100,000 posts, I take it? Congratulations, Doug!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 30 2008, 02:31 PM
Post #39

Founder

Kudos to Astro0 who has been my banner-logo guru for a long time - we've got a conjunction special for the next couple of weeks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Doc
post Nov 30 2008, 02:40 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 3978

How fitting, good call Doug, I was wondering when you were going to change the logo;-)

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 30 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #41

Founder

It's all Astro0's doing - suddenly my inbox will have a pertinent, stylish logo in it :0

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 30 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 197

No offense to Astro0, but when it first popped up I tried to brush whatever it was off my monitor.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Dec 1 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 4270

Is everyone ready for a completely ignorant question? ^_^

... what exactly is it?

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 1 2008, 01:00 AM
Post #44

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

The Sun between Mars & Earth.

I like it! smile.gif Thanks, Astro0 & Doug.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Dec 1 2008, 02:52 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 4270

QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 30 2008, 07:00 PM) *
The Sun between Mars & Earth.

Ohh... will it be changed after conjunction is over?

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:44 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.