26 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
EPOXI Mission News
Paolo
post Jan 4 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #286

Group: Members
Member No.: 1004

I was reading an article about H2 in an Italian popular astronomy magazine. it mentions as a possible origin for the nucleus' smooth surface tidal interactions with Jupiter during the April 1971 flyby at 0.09 AU.
Anyone heard of a similar theory? My impression is that the distance is too large for it to tear apart and re-aggregate even a loosely-bound "rubble pile", but maybe I am wrong.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Jan 5 2011, 09:13 AM
Post #287

Member No.: 156

.09 AU would put it ~7 times farther out than Callisto. I dunno nuthin' 'bout no gravity, but that seems awfully far to do any sort of resurfacing.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 5 2011, 02:02 PM
Post #288

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Agreed. The idea isn't bad but I might be looking for an earlier and much closer encounter if orbit data are good enough - might be too chaotic, though.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Feb 18 2011, 06:00 AM
Post #289

there is a new article on EPOXI's "Earth as an alien planet" observations on arXiv today
Colors of a Second Earth II: Effects of Clouds on Photometric Characterization of Earth-like Exoplane

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 18 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #290

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Very cool. Thanks for that link!

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Mar 11 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #291

I noticed this paper on Astronomy & Astrophysics Earth-based detection of the millimetric thermal emission from the nucleus of comet 8P/Tuttle (in free access at this moment)

It seems comet Tuttle has yet another dumbbell-shaped nucleus:
Harmon et al. (2008, 2010) interpreted their Arecibo radar observations of the nucleus of comet 8P/Tuttle as implying a contact binary and proposed a shape model composed of two spheroids in contact. Lamy et al. (in prep.) found that the light curve of the nucleus derived from their Hubble Space Telescope observations was indeed most accurately explained by a binary configuration and derived a model composed of two spheres in contact.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jun 16 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #292

I was expecting tomorrow's "Science" to include articles on early MESSENGER science and instead: EPOXI at Comet Hartley 2

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 17 2011, 04:37 PM
Post #293

A nice summary, but don't panic, folks, there's no new map of the nucleus yet! Interesting description of the rotation state though - a long axis mode like those of Halley, Toutatis and maybe Hyperion.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 4 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #294

Member No.: 523

Looks like the Rosetta Steins data wasn't the only one to hit the Small Bodies node recently. Here's Hartley 2 in natural color, OGB filters overlaid over a slightly better quality (closer and less smeared) clear frame. A bit of gapfill was used from that low res OGB data at the right limb where deconvolution ringing was caused by proximity to the image edge. Magnified 1.5x from the original pixel scale.

Attached Image

There's this and the outbound color shot, but it's badly smeared. The rest of the HRI frames appear to be clear frames only...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 4 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #295

Very nice! Thanks.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jul 5 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #296

Member No.: 114

ugordan - Amazing work!

+Quote Post
machi
post Jul 14 2011, 06:22 PM
Post #297

Member No.: 4057

Comet Hartley 2 from High Resolution Imager. Color data are similar to the Ugordan's image of Hartley. Only difference is, that I used red filter and not orange one.
I was focusing more on nucleus, so I used higher resolution underlaying image and jets are somewhat suppressed (and processed with different type of deconvolution).
Image has original size with resolution 4.5 m/pix (original resolution of color images is around 15 m/pix).
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 14 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #298

Nice! I used "orange" because being centered at 650 nm it is in actuality red, whilst the "red" filter is centered around 750 nm so is in fact near-infrared.

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Jul 14 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #299

Member No.: 4057

Thanks!

So this is result, when one looks more on filter names and not on nanometers. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 14 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #300

Even though that name is a bit clumsy, I actually quite like the way they chose HRI imager filters, a simple and straightforward approach. Pretty much each filter has a bandpass of 100 nm, sharp cutoff and neighbors nicely with the next filter and the wavelengths are easy to remember. If it wasn't for the defocus problem, it would have been one sweet instrument.

--------------------

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:32 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.