Reply to this topicStart new topic
Curiosity Image Retrieval Tools, scripts and software
CosmicRocker
post Aug 13 2012, 04:06 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

QUOTE (M_Welander @ Aug 11 2012, 07:52 AM) *
... Anyway, here it is, Curiosity RAW Get. ...
UPDATE:
I was getting too many strange errors using the Microsoft HTML parser. I've now switched parser. Anyone who's had trouble with earlier versions would do well trying this new one.

Although I had some problems with the first version, the new one (0.13) is working quite well for me. It seems to be a good option for Windows users who want to download MSL images in mass. The application allows you to apply various filters to your selection, and it automatically creates a nice directory structure.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 13 2012, 05:03 AM
Post #32

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 12 2012, 05:56 PM) *
I have no idea who's in charge of the website.

Michelle Viotti

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 13 2012, 10:28 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 12 2012, 10:54 PM) *
I'm on the camera team and I'll complain about it if I want to, thanks.

That said, this is kind of an interesting article.
http://www.informationweek.com/government/...web-s/240005286

In this case, the fix is dead simple--the thumbnails do exist. If they just change the 'E' to 'I' in the img src file names they'd be done. Straight bug fix, not a feature request. Until that happens, anyone scraping the web pages for URLs should be aware.

I guess Amazon Web Services would give a big thumbs up to the current situation though!

--------------------

+Quote Post
M_Welander
post Aug 13 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 108

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 13 2012, 03:45 AM) *
...Veronica McGregor... ...said that they officially do not care about bandwidth since everything is stored in the cloud.

That's very good to know! I guess that means I can safely enable the threaded downloader in Curiosity RAW Get without risking to hurt their servers, then.

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Aug 13 2012, 02:28 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 285

I have my AlgorimancerPG rangefinder/photogrammetry tool updated to work with the MSL navcam images -- I hope to post it to the website tonight (it's not there yet). I'll announce the availability here when I do (this seems the closest topic match in the MSL section).

One thing it is lacking is the correct sol/time calculation; it will display a value, but it's not going to be a correct value. If someone could clarify how to get the sol/time from the image title, that would be much appreciated.

Another thing lacking is camera orientation. For MER, this could be obtained from the Pancam Tracking Database. I'm not aware of any such database as yet for MSL.

Support for the Mastcam's higher resolution cameras may or may not happen for MSL, as this will require rather more time than I happen to have at the moment. If there's someone with experience programming with Microsoft Visual C++ (Visual Studio 2010 professional) who would like to take-on the project, particularly someone familiar with imagery and vectors and quaternion transformations, I would be happy to share the code. This may take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks of programming time. Considering that we have high resolution images and topography from orbiters already, I'm not sure there would be much value in adding Mastcam capability, but it is an option.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 13 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (algorimancer @ Aug 13 2012, 07:28 AM) *
If someone could clarify how to get the sol/time from the image title, that would be much appreciated.

Another thing lacking is camera orientation. For MER, this could be obtained from the Pancam Tracking Database. I'm not aware of any such database as yet for MSL.

For Navcam the file name has the SCLK value for the image time, I think. For MMM it appears there is no SCLK in the filename and metadata would be needed to figure out the time. I'm not sure what the time on the raw image website means, I haven't tried to correlate it.

The NAIF website (http://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/naif/data_mars.html) has some information about how to map SCLK to UT and LMST and may be a source for pointing data (I'm not sure what the CK files there look like or what their plan is to update it.)

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 13 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 13 2012, 05:14 PM) *
I'm not sure what the time on the raw image website means, I haven't tried to correlate it.

I think it's just SCET.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 13 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 13 2012, 10:14 AM) *
I'm not sure what the time on the raw image website means, I haven't tried to correlate it.

I've checked it--for example the website has FLA_397506083EDR_F0010008AUT_04096M_ with a time of 2012-08-06 06:23:34 UTC.

From the file name, the et is 397506083, which according to et2utc_c() translates to 2012 AUG 06 06:20:16 UTC. So there's a discrepancy of about three minutes (3:18). Possibly related to processing on the rover?

Just for another example, here's one from sol 2, NLA_397682534EDR_F0020000AUT_04096M_--the date given is 2012-08-08 07:24:27 UTC and 397682534 translates to 2012 AUG 08 07:21:07 UTC, similarly a 3:20 difference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 13 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Aug 13 2012, 07:44 AM) *
From the file name, the et is 397506083...

My guess is that this is not ET but SCLK, which drifts from ET. You need to use scs2e (or sct2e) to get this into ET.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Aug 13 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 285

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 13 2012, 09:14 AM) *
...The NAIF website...

Thank you, I think that did the trick.

EDIT: I've run into some difficulties with the installer (upgrading the development environment from VS 2005 to VS 2010 has been a real headache). Hopefully I'll be able to fix it tomorrow and get it posted.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 13 2012, 06:07 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 13 2012, 11:18 AM) *
My guess is that this is not ET but SCLK, which drifts from ET. You need to use scs2e (or sct2e) to get this into ET.

Sounds reasonable--but isn't SCLK measured in 'ticks'?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 13 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Aug 13 2012, 10:07 AM) *
Sounds reasonable--but isn't SCLK measured in 'ticks'?

You don't get the subseconds in the filename, so you will be off by a second minus a tick worst-case.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 14 2012, 12:17 AM
Post #43

Trying to develop a handier web interface to the raw images, here's a first go if anyone would like to help beta test it:

http://curiositymsl.com/table/view

It shows the raw images in table form, sortable by date taken, release date, etc. by clicking on the column headers. The default sort, by release date, is the handiest I think, since it shows the most recent uploads to the JPL site. It's hard otherwise to keep track of the newest files because they can come in under any sol.

Open to suggestions as to how it could be more useful. One thing that comes to mind is to be able to filter by camera, because with all the images in one big list, there are a lot of pages, mostly due to the large number of MARDI images.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 14 2012, 12:40 AM
Post #44

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

First: AWESOME!

It would be great to filter by camera.

I think image dimensions would be more useful than file size.

I'm amused by the "lag" column, though it's not exactly fair, since it folds in both transmission lag (when did it arrive on Earth?) and raw posting lag.

I'd prefer smaller thumbnails and more images per page, but don't know if that opinion is shared.

This takes more logic, but: it would be great if it did not show *both* thumbnails *and* fulls of the same image. It would be lovely if it could just show the highest-resolution one returned to Earth so far.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Aug 14 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #45

Guests

Works great on a Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone, for what its worth... -Excellent job!

Attached Image

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:42 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.