IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Post Landing - Commissioning Period & Early Observations, Commissioning Activity Period 1B - Sols 9 through 16
MahFL
post Aug 21 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #173

Forum Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

QUOTE (RonJones @ Aug 21 2012, 08:27 PM) *
Anyone know how fast they will have the recording of today's telconference online (I was on the road and couldn't listen in real time)?

It's up now.

Tele
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RonJones
post Aug 21 2012, 10:47 PM
Post #174

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (MahFL @ Aug 21 2012, 04:31 PM) *
It's up now.

Tele

Thanks I listened to the replay. I did notice that tomorrow (Wednesday) there will be a MSL news conference carried on NASA TV starting at 2:30 pm Eastern Daylight Time. They might have the results of the short first drive to report by then.

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Aug 21 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #175

Member No.: 1083

QUOTE (charleski @ Aug 21 2012, 02:43 PM) *
The air pressure curves that show distinct repeatable notches in the cooling phase each day are apparently 'similar to predicated models'. Anyone have a source for those?

Those model predictions are here:
http://marsweather.com/covering-our-bets-o...sure-prediction

+Quote Post
charleski
post Aug 22 2012, 12:34 AM
Post #176

Member No.: 6485

QUOTE (Drkskywxlt @ Aug 22 2012, 12:09 AM) *

Thanks - overall the pressure fluctuations agree extremely well with their global model (almost bang-on at 690-780Pa), but it's interesting to note that the static high-pressure component predicted in the mesoscale model doesn't seem to be present and the waveform seems heavily phase-distorted. Their model shows the plateau as the air cools, but I'm looking forward to what they say about those extra three inflections - I'll keep an eye on that blog.

Here's a quickie composite showing the model (in green), actual pressure readings in blue and the temperature in red.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Aug 22 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #177

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

There are so many fascinating things to look at around the landing site, it'll almost be a shame to leave.

Intrigued by the light-coloured material in this rock taken by ChemCam on Sol 15.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_dougr_*
post Aug 22 2012, 03:23 AM
Post #178

Guests

The max air temperatures are significantly higher (>20F) than anything recorded by the Viking or Pathfinder landers. That surprises me a little since we are still quite a ways from perihelion. If I recall Pathfinder and Viking 1 landed at about 20N. Viking 2 at 48N. Curiosity sits at 4S. I wonder if this latitude difference suffices to explain this. What do the models say?
Edit: I just took a look at the above link to the mars weather page. The observations are maybe 5-10c higher than the models

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 22 2012, 03:28 AM
Post #179

Member No.: 497

By the way, if anyone hasn't read Dan Limonadi's guest blog on the Planetary Society website, he gives a very clear and detailed description of how the sampling system works on MSL. Definitely worth a read, Dan did an outstanding job. http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-blogs...rs-1-tools.html is the first part.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 22 2012, 06:09 AM
Post #180

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Agreed - SA-SPaH is breathtakingly complex and a beautiful piece of engineering - Dan does a great job of explaining it.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Aug 22 2012, 08:38 AM
Post #181

Member No.: 321

dougr, Viking lasted more than 1 martian year and it was in the tropics, so it was at some time at the subsolar latitude.

We've seen that temperatures on Mars can vary extremely sharply as a function of distance from the surface, with centimeters a relevant scale. So unlike on Earth, we have to take the comparison between two different systems with a grain of salt. Temperatures derived from IR reflectance as detected from orbit have shown temperatures far higher than any lander has detected, in part due to sampling the very hottest locations on the planet, in part due to measuring the surface and not the air a few decimeters above.

+Quote Post
chris
post Aug 22 2012, 09:34 AM
Post #182

Member No.: 135

In relation to the wind sensors, extensive details of the REMS instruments are available here

Edit: typo

+Quote Post
Stellingwerff
post Aug 22 2012, 09:45 AM
Post #183

Member No.: 6493

The top of MtSharp in full detail:
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/pr...NCAM00504M_.JPG

(actually: the top of the local part of the upper mount, the real top lies far back)

[Edit] Ah, too busy with the website to notice that there was already another round of similar pictures yestersol..... Sorry for spamming...

grz,
Ludo.

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Aug 22 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #184

Member No.: 1083

QUOTE (charleski @ Aug 21 2012, 08:34 PM) *
Here's a quickie composite showing the model (in green), actual pressure readings in blue and the temperature in red.

I think you misinterpreted the times or something. There's no (significant) phase distortion. Here's the REMS team's comparison:

http://marsweather.com/models-come-up-against-data

+Quote Post
ollopa
post Aug 22 2012, 01:08 PM
Post #185

Member No.: 113

Anyone know the times of to-Sol's comms passes? Around now, I'm guessing.

+Quote Post
charleski
post Aug 22 2012, 01:44 PM
Post #186

Member No.: 6485

QUOTE (Drkskywxlt @ Aug 22 2012, 01:17 PM) *
I think you misinterpreted the times or something. There's no (significant) phase distortion. Here's the REMS team's comparison:

http://marsweather.com/models-come-up-against-data

The phase distortion is present in the model as well, but more pronounced in the actual data. Basically the peaks are broader and flatter than the troughs.
Here's an image showing air pressure changes in the Caribbean Sea as a weather pattern moves over - the diurnal changes are far closer to a sinusoid with amplitude modulation from the weather-front (Source, image down the page in a comment).

Pathfinder found even more complex variations in pressure. Maybe the result of Curiosity being on a crater floor rather than an exposed plain.

I did get the scale of the model a bit wrong in the composite I posted. The graph on their page is correct.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 22 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #187

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (ollopa @ Aug 22 2012, 08:08 AM) *
Anyone know the times of to-Sol's comms passes? Around now, I'm guessing.

Check http://mslfan.com/2012/08/08/msl-almanac/

times UTC

Wednesday, August 22
3:21am ODY pass
3:37am MRO pass
3:44am earthrise
5:18am ODY pass
5:59am sunrise sol 16
6:23am MEX pass
9:47am earth zenith
12:06pm noon sol 16
12:17pm MEX pass
3:43pm MRO pass
3:49pm earthset
4:13pm ODY pass
6:13pm sunset sol 16
6:15pm ODY pass

The MRO pass coming up in about an hour (3:43pm UTC) is a very good one (times LMST):

rise azimuth 175°, 03:31:08 P.M.
zenith azimuth 269°, 03:37:37 P.M.
set azimuth 351°, 03:44:25 P.M.
min range 274 km
max elevation 79°

The calendar lists some marginal passes (i.e., even if the satellite only barely peeks above the horizon), so click through to get all the details.

I wonder if MEX has been used for downlinking at all yet. It's above the horizon for hours sometimes, so seems like there's a lot of potential.

--------------------

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:41 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.