Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager 2 imaging of Triton
DrShank
post Aug 23 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 1828

QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 23 2014, 11:19 AM) *
In my experience, calibration with Voyagers is an issue. Compared to Galileo and Cassini images of Jupiter and Saturn targets, it seems to me the relative filter brightnesses are off for all cameras. Green channel typically ends up being too bright compared to other filters which, along with the O/G/B filter combination, can lead to greenish results. A while back I attempted to use Saturn targets like Mimas, Enceladus, Dione and Iapetus to figure out better correction factors, with mixed results. Here's how a quick-n-dirty Triton O/G/B image turned out using those factors and also corrected for OGB -> sRGB filter wavelengths using linear interpolation:

[attachment=33593:triton_ogb.jpg]

Source images: C1138639, C1138651, C1138703

that is interesting to hear. I wondered about that but we have no other reliable color data for Triton for comparison. perhaps you can send me some of your estimates for how far off the colors might be. in the meantime, i can look at some saturn data. a difficulty s that the cassini and voyager filters are not identical.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Aug 24 2014, 05:03 PM
Post #62

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

I have the same experience as Ted and Gordan, I always need to use various correction/fudge factors to get correct color when doing color composites from the Voyager images. As Gordan mentioned, the green channel is usually too bright. I usually use the calibrated and geometrically corrected images available at the PDS Planetary Rings Node but I get similar results if I start with the raw (*.IMQ) images and calibrate them myself.

I haven't done any systematic analysis to see if this problem varies as a function of time, exposure, gain etc. but I suspect that at least time (or mission phase) is significant. For many targets I can use the global spectrum to check the color but this is especially difficult for Triton since its color varies with time. For Neptune I can use its spectrum plus HST images to check the color and determine the correction factors - using the same processing parameters for Triton might work to get correct color.

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Aug 25 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (DrShank @ Aug 23 2014, 11:26 PM) *
....can't wait to put the pluto map next to it next year.

Oh hello there Dr Shank. =)

Yes I really would like to see a comparison between those two also to see if they show any signs of having a common origin.
I always have considered Triton to have been captured by Neptune even when the ejection hypothesis were the more popular one.
A little bit OT for this thread yet some expect Charon to show an interesting surface as well I am a bit pessimistic about that idea, but then again our own moon have recently been found to have a molten core even found today despite the fact it got bound rotation so it might be best never to say never to tidal heating. =)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 26 2014, 01:54 PM
Post #64

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Fantastic new map of Triton, Paul, thanks! It is nice to see the post-encounter crescent images incorporated into it.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
4throck
post Aug 29 2014, 02:54 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 6792

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Aug 24 2014, 05:03 PM) *
I haven't done any systematic analysis to see if this problem varies as a function of time, exposure, gain etc. but I suspect that at least time (or mission phase) is significant.

Back at the time I was playing with Voyager images I also noticed that. My guess is that the filter's response changed with time. So it's dependent on mission time, craft and camera.

If there are any images of stars taken during the mission (I guess so) perhaps they can be used to infer calibration.
"White" satellites (if we have some spectra for them) would also work on distant images that show more than one (for different brightness), so that you could linearize the filters response.
Just my 2 cents...

--------------------
www.astrosurf.com/nunes

+Quote Post
MarcF
post Aug 1 2018, 09:59 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 773

Finally a "serious" geological map of Triton:
Triton map

"To-date, no peer-reviewed, broad-scale, detailed geologic map exists to characterize, classify, and identify geologic surface units and features on Triton. Mapping of Pluto and Charon is in progress, but
as no comparable geologic map of Triton exists, a direct comparison between these two KBOs cannot be performed at a fundamental level. Furthermore, as Triton serves as a bridge between KBOs and icy satellites, characterization of its terrains is important for advancing comparative planetological studies."

Can't wait to see the final result. I expect some interesting discoveries, almost 30 years after the voyager II flyby.
Best regards,
Marc.

+Quote Post
MarcF
post Aug 6 2018, 05:14 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 773

2018 paper with Voyager II Triton images:

Planetary and Space Science
Volume 160, 1 October 2018, Pages 19-25

Heat flow in Triton: Implications for heat sources powering recent geologic activity

Alvaro Martin-Herrero, Ignacio Romeo, JavierRuiz

New analysis of Voyager images reveals that the Raz fossae troughs system continues north of Leviathan patera and Cipango planum and enables to calculate that the surface heat flows values are much higher than those estimated in previous studies.

This troughs system reminds me the North-South global ridge/troughs sytem recently discovered on Pluto.
I'm convinced that some new great discoderies can be made by reprocessing the almost 30 years old Voyager images, even if a new mission to the Neptunian system is absolutely necessary.
Regards,
Marc.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 2 2021, 02:12 AM
Post #68

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Resurrecting a dormant thread, there's a new paper out concerning Triton's topography. Prime author is Paul Schenk, coauthors include frequent Forum participant & NH PI Alan Stern and Forum moderator Ted Stryk, featuring Ted's image wizardry. Enjoy! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 2 2021, 07:28 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 682

As a personal story, I was with TPS for Planetfest 89 at the time of Neptune’ flyby. We waited late to see the very first Triton’s pictures. When they came, around 4 am, I was already back in my hotel and discovered them on TV when I woke up. At that time, I was allowed to enter JPL’s reception and check TV screens and get a feeling of the place. We had scientist, no less than Ed Stone himself, giving the last news and picture at the TPS event.
You’re not only resurrecting a thread Nick, but also good memories. At that time, we hopped VII would survive for another 35 years, we’re close to it. Both Voyagers were launched the year I started working…and I retired 5 years ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Sep 19 2021, 06:29 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 9009

QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 2 2021, 03:12 AM) *
Resurrecting a dormant thread, there's a new paper out concerning Triton's topography. Prime author is Paul Schenk, coauthors include frequent Forum participant & NH PI Alan Stern and Forum moderator Ted Stryk, featuring Ted's image wizardry. Enjoy! smile.gif

SWEEET!
i think i can compile a DEM map out of some of the higher res figures

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Sep 19 2021, 07:43 PM
Post #71

i compiled most of the stuff into the below

Attached Image

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Nov 7 2021, 02:49 PM
Post #72

QUOTE (machi @ May 27 2011, 06:18 PM) *
Second image:

i increased brightness (messing with curves) , looking for neptuneshine, and i found this stuff beyond the terminator, is it atmospheric haze lit terrain , neptuneshine, or plain old noise?

i also seen it in the other pic too when i messed with curves

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Nov 7 2021, 04:23 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 1102

It is not clear to me what what areas you refer to as recovered in your posts. Maybe you could post three image, the original image unmodified, your clean modified image, and the area of interest (ie newly recovered area) circled or specifically delineated. The cloud of dots past the teminator in the image above seem to me to be noise, but maybe that is not the area you are describing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Nov 7 2021, 04:46 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 321

By no means is doing this with images that someone has already processed for another purpose the best way to proceed. Whatever artifacts they may have introduced at very low values (0, 1, 2) is part of what you're trying to make something of now. There are multiple obvious artifacts and there's no accounting therefore for what is artifact and what isn't.

Never with work like this should you begin with an image that someone posted after performing undocumented processing to the original.

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Nov 7 2021, 07:24 PM
Post #75

QUOTE (Floyd @ Nov 7 2021, 04:23 PM) *
It is not clear to me what what areas you refer to as recovered in your posts. Maybe you could post three image, the original image unmodified, your clean modified image, and the area of interest (ie newly recovered area) circled or specifically delineated. The cloud of dots past the teminator in the image above seem to me to be noise, but maybe that is not the area you are describing.

yeah, the cloud of dots beyond the teminator is what i am talking about, bummer its just noise

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.