14 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Earth Return & Sample Science
Explorer1
post Oct 2 2023, 03:03 AM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Let's see what they say at the press conference, but for now, an update from the blog.
The initial curation process for NASA’s OSIRIS-REx sample of asteroid Bennu is moving slower than anticipated, but for the best reason: the sample runneth over. The abundance of material found when the science canister lid was removed earlier this week has meant that the process of disassembling the TAGSAM (Touch-and-Go Sample Acquisition Mechanism) head – which holds the bulk of material from the asteroid – is off to a methodical start.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Oct 2 2023, 01:03 PM
Post #137

Member No.: 530

Some good dust accumulation for once.

I've been wondering how they'll collect it. Seems like a vacuum isn't an option.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Oct 3 2023, 12:03 AM
Post #138

Member No.: 1241

this is from the Osiris-Rex website..

https://www.asteroidmission.org/?attachment_id=26510#main

Captured on Oct. 22, 2020 -- this series of three images shows that the Touch-and-Go Sample Acquisition Mechanism (TAGSAM) sampling head on NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft is full of rocks and dust collected from asteroid Bennu, as well as the fact that some of these particles are escaping the sampler head. Analysis by the OSIRIS-REx team suggests that bits of material are passing through small gaps where the head’s mylar flap is slightly wedged open. The mylar flap (the black bulge visible in the 9 o’clock position inside the ring) is designed to keep the collected material locked inside, and these unsealed areas appear to be caused by larger rocks that didn’t fully pass through the flap. Based on available imagery, the team suspects there is a plentiful sample inside the head, and is on a path to stow the sample as quickly as possible.

Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 3 2023, 12:09 AM
Post #139

Member No.: 7860

I’m also wondering how they will collect it from all these screws, cables, slots, nooks and crannies of the sampler???
This will have to take a long time (this amount of dust outside was not expected).
And they certainly want to collect everything down to the last, smallest micro-grain, because it is one of the most valuable materials we currently have on Earth. And it still needs to be separated from potential microparticles of the sampler itself (metal, plastic, etc.). Lots of hard work!!!

Of course, the "main sample" - initially estimated at about a quarter of a kilogram - is safe inside the TAGSAM ring, behind the "strainer" - they haven't opened it yet, because they want to do it inside a „different specialized glovebox”.

I think (and I keep my fingers crossed) that a lot of quite large "pebbles" survived...

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 4 2023, 11:59 PM
Post #140

I was hoping the spacecraft took pictures of the sample release, but didn't want to ask...
It certainly did!
Fantastic imagery!
I can almost make out a contrast in the shape of the heat shield from before/after landing (though it's difficult to make out with the desert floor obscuring the bottom).
And the release imagery, with the crescent Earth, wonderful!

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 5 2023, 04:28 PM
Post #141

https://blogs.nasa.gov/osiris-rex/wp-conten...se-sequence.gif
This sequence of images has been processed to remove most of the scattered sunlight, bring out more detail of the capsule and release debris cloud, and prevent the Earth crescent from saturating.
„debris cloud” - So we moved a lot of "pebbles" from one place in the interplanetary space of the Solar System to another - closer to the Sun wink.gif I wonder what evolution they will go through next.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 5 2023, 04:43 PM
Post #142

How would there still be debris from Bennu on the outside the capsule after the Earth return and all the various manoeuvres during that time? Unless it was somehow with electrostatic forces to the main spacecraft bus?

Is there any other source of debris that could be dislodged? When stages separate during launch I always see bits of ice flying about, but it couldn't be that in this case.

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 5 2023, 05:58 PM
Post #143

My rough animation composed of 2 pictures from StowCam taken on September 22, 2016 (two weeks after launch) and October 28, 2020 (after completing the final step of the sample stowage process: closing its SRC).
You can clearly see many Bennu grains "glued" (probably electrostatically) to the lid and other components of the spacecraft. I have circled some of them.
Apparently these and many other grains survived the entire flight and all the maneuvers in space. Only the process of releasing the capsule "unsticked" and released these grains, visible in space in the NASA animation.

Pictures I used:
https://www.asteroidmission.org/stowcam_22september2016/
https://www.asteroidmission.org/?attachment_id=26630#main
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 5 2023, 08:20 PM
Post #144

Nice work, that explains it!
Note the biggest 'piece' you circle dates back to before the sample return. It is likely a micrometeoroid impact (and definitely no trace of it anymore!)

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 6 2023, 05:42 PM
Post #145

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Oct 5 2023, 10:20 PM) *
Note the biggest 'piece' you circle dates back to before the sample return. It is likely a micrometeoroid impact (and definitely no trace of it anymore!)

Indeed, this largest speck appeared already between September 22, 2016 and March 2, 2017, i.e. definitely before sampling - so it cannot be a particle of Bennu. Fragment of the original picture description: „...A small, dark spot is visible on the surface of the SRC that was not present during the checkout images taken after launch in 2016. Subsequent analysis has shown that this spot is an indentation approximately 0.08 inches (2 mm) across – the size of a poppy seed – that may have been caused by a particle hitting the SRC during flight...”

This confirms how risky interplanetary flights are - if this micrometeorite were slightly larger and hit some vital element of the spacecraft (or e.g. a camera), it would create a serious problem, and maybe even a threat to the entire mission (I assume that the impact was at high speed (and therefore high energy) since it scratched a part of the shield)...

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 6 2023, 06:54 PM
Post #146

Progress in sample extraction: https://blogs.nasa.gov/osiris-rex/
„...Images of the bulk sample and early analysis results will be revealed during a live NASA event on Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 11 a.m. EDT.”

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 7 2023, 07:39 AM
Post #147

Member No.: 682

At this stage, putting the whole capsule on a scale should tell them the weight of the sample. IMO. Do I miss something ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 7 2023, 03:15 PM
Post #148

Possibly, with just the sample collection portion alone (and subtracting the spilled dust outside), but since the heat shield ablated somewhat on re-entry, that mass loss would throw off any measurement of the entire capsule (an interesting question of whether it is more or less than was gathered from Bennu).
Just be patient a few more days!

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 11 2023, 03:42 PM
Post #149

From NASA TV
https://www.nasa.gov/nasatv/

This is what fell outside of TAGSAM (through a mylar flap that was not fully closed - blocked by a few "pebbles" during sample collection). TAGSAM and the "pebbles" it contains have not been opened yet.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 11 2023, 03:54 PM
Post #150

A good problem to have TAGSAM not open yet due to all the material outside (a good problem to have!)

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th June 2024 - 02:19 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.