IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Possible theory on why Mercury and Venus have no moon, Clues from Earth and Mars moon orbits
Greg Hullender
post Nov 3 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 590

Those are all really old though, and predate decent computer simulations of solar system dynamics. I found some promising-sounding papers in the UW library catalog, but none available online. I may drop in and take a look later.

One suggestion I ran across for the origin of Phobos that sounded plausible was that it might originally have been a double asteroid which was split up during a close encounter with Mars. The other piece would have escaped Mars, of course (it's not Deimos), but Phobos' orbit would relatively quickly have been circularized and equatorialized.

Given Phobos' short life, it's quite a coincidence for us to be seeing it, unless Mars captures asteroids this way fairly frequently. But if it happens frequently, why is Deimos the only other satellite of Mars? Is it possible that the widest-separated binary asteroid cannot be captured into an orbit much smaller than Deimos, and hence ALL of them have been, like Phobos, doomed to impact Mars? I can't find any evidence that anyone has tried to work this out.

--Greg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:52 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.