28 Pages V  « < 26 27 28  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Titan's Equatorial Sand Seas
ngunn
post Mar 16 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #406

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

Thanks for posting those Mike. The second paper especially recalls many an extended discussion here, in this thread and other Titan topics also, going back quite a few years. Its great to see these questions getting thorough professional treatment now. I like the idea of dune material somehow morphing ito very different-looking and less mobile plains material in the mid latitudes. That nicely ties up more loose ends than it leaves, I think. (I blame it on the night-time dews.)

I note that you believe that the dune sand is probably transported over rather than around the bright ridges of Adiri and also probably across a wide area of southern Xanadu. In both cases there are dunes on the downwind side of the bright, dune-free area and those dunes seem to be formed of material thus transported. Have you any further thoughts on how and when dune sand crosses features that are currently observed to be sand free, or why the sand doesn't seem to stick in those places?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Mar 20 2016, 02:05 PM
Post #407

Group: Members
Member No.: 1764

Loosely related to this topic, and the general flatness of Titan's terrain, a paper just out (same Icarus issue as Mike's papers, same free-until-May-4 download)

Observations of the Surface of Titan by the Radar Altimeters on the Huygens Probe

http://authors.elsevier.com/a/1SiuJ4L-YET3t

Also, LPSC abstract with T77 altimeter profile across part of Xanadu and into Shangri-La at
http://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2016/pdf/1910.pdf

I guess since the talk is on Thursday, I should start working on that....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 26 27 28
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:57 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.