5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Launch, Launch through Orbit Discussion
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Jun 18 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #31

Guests

... which are MAKING MONEY!

LRO launch isn't certain... We hope that the skies will clear, but it's not sure...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 18 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #32

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Looking good now for 5:32. The LROC site says they've launched - they didn't update the launch time!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Jun 18 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #33

Guests

Launch team polled. LRO is go for launch!

Proceeding with count!

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jun 18 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 424

I've seen rocket cams before, but never on a NASA-TV live broadcast of a launch. Thrilling.

TTT

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jun 18 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 424

And now we've had shot of the payload under the fairing. Amazing. Think of the rocket engineers who went through their careers without ever seeing a shot like that.

TTT

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Jun 18 2009, 09:49 PM
Post #36

Guests

MECO! Main engine cutoff!

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jun 18 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #37

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

That rocket cam shot rising through the clouds was awesome!

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jun 18 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 590

I'm actually in Florida, so I went out on the balcony to look, but I'm afraid we're just a bit too far away to see it from here. Maybe if it had been a night launch. Still, it was cool to follow it online.

--Greg

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Jun 18 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #39

Guests

LRO just successfully separated from the rocket! Congratulations all!

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Jun 18 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #40

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

Separation smile.gif.
I too tried to see it but it launched due east. I can see the shuttle when it goes NE but East is no good.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jun 18 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 590

Looks good. Next significant news will be Lunar Orbit insertion on Tuesday morning at 5:43 a.m. EDT (0943 GMT).

From Spaceflight Now "T+plus 44 minutes, 45 seconds. SPACECRAFT SEPARATION! The Centaur upper stage has deployed the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter on its direct trajectory for the Moon. "

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av020/status.html

--Greg

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jun 18 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #42

Guests

It seems so weird to read that LRO will reach its destination Tuesday morning,, we usually have many months or even years to wait for that.

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Jun 18 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #43

Guests

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jun 18 2009, 11:25 PM) *
It seems so weird to read that LRO will reach its destination Tuesday morning,, we usually have many months or even years to wait for that.

Well... the same applies for LCROSS (just kidding) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 19 2009, 12:53 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jun 18 2009, 05:25 PM) *

Naw... I can remember watching Ranger IX's launch, and then watching the pictures from its video cameras come streaming in "live from the Moon" three days later. And, of course, I'm used to this kind of timing from all those Apollo flights.

I suppose that when you are limited to relatively small boosters and need to get as much mass out to the Moon as you can for the least number of ergs expended, it makes sense to run orbits out farther and farther and to arrive at the Moon months after launch. (That does have its own costs, of course, not least of which is the repeated passage of your probe through the most energetic portions of Earth's Van Allen belts.) But if you have a heavy-lift booster, it can make sense to just get out there as fast as you reasonably can.

I also imagine that LCROSS needs a fairly fast approach to create the big, looping orbits it needs to achieve its desired impact geometry. All told, I imagine this mission simply requires the faster, more direct translunar trajectory.

I'm glad she's off, though, and I'm glad we'll be seeing high-res images of old familiar places (plus new, exciting places) very soon. At least partially as an accident of my birthdate, I've become quite fascinated with lunar geology -- I'm really looking forward to some of the really kewl things we're about to see!

biggrin.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Jun 19 2009, 03:08 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 103

I was playing around with the spreadsheet of the LRO priority targets. I found it interesting to do a sort on the priorities...25 Priority 1 targets, 1800+ Priority 2 targets, and 4400+ Priority 3 targets! I really appreciated the detail in the spreadsheet regarding why certain targets were identified as highest priority. It wasn't necessarily just to do with possible ice or potential for a lunar outpost, but many of the Priority 1 targets were suspected either to be the youngest or the oldest areas on the surface of the Moon.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:57 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.