IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The origin of perennial water-ice at the South Pole of Mars
MichaelT
post Jul 13 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 211

A publication accepted by JGR describes how the orbit of Mars around the sun could affect the deposition of water-ice at the Martian South Pole. Possibly, the buildup and erosion of water ice is coupled to the precession cycle of Mars. This was deduced from Mars Express observations and a model of the Martian climate.

It is also described that the erosion of water ice at the Martian South Pole was stopped by the formation of CO2-ice only about 1000 years ago. This CO2 now suits as a cold trap and enables the formation of water ice in a small area around the pole (south of 87°S).

All the details can be found in this ESA press release:
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEMKZRNSP3F_0.html

Michael

'On the origin of perennial water ice at the South Pole of Mars: a precession-controlled mechanism?', by F. Montmessin, R. M. Haberle, F. Forget, Y. Langevin, R. T. Clancy and J.-P. Bibring, accepted for publication in the JGR Planets journal, and presented at the 7th International Conference on Mars, Pasadena, California (9-13 July 2007)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
MichaelT
post Jul 13 2007, 11:08 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 211

That's how I read it, too. And I was just as surprised.

Does this mean the Martian atmosphere was thicker in the recent past?

You could be right, if there was no CO2 ice at the North Pole of Mars before that time. Unfortunately, this is the first time that I read about these time frames and I don't have any other info on that topic.
Does anybody else?

Michael
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:01 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.