Reply to this topicStart new topic
InSight Surface Operations, 26 Nov 2018-
mcaplinger
post Jul 9 2020, 05:07 PM
Post #946

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 8 2020, 04:05 PM) *
I hope that the arm can now be freed up to complete the panorama imaging. I could really use a full panorama, foreground as well as horizon.

https://www.planetary.org/multimedia/space-...trait-as-a.html seems pretty complete, though it's hard to tell what gaps might have been filled and how.

I couldn't find an "official version" of the 360 pan anywhere, or even a well-documented amateur version -- maybe there's one upthread here?

I could bug Justin Maki about this but I've already bugged him enough for M2020 stuff.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 9 2020, 05:31 PM
Post #947

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

That 360 view looks really nice, but it's not real. It is a partial panorama with gaps filled by cloning. One bit of evidence is the 'Rolling Stones Rock' which appears twice with its rolling track, one version flipped.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jul 9 2020, 06:43 PM
Post #948

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 9 2020, 09:31 AM) *
That 360 view looks really nice, but it's not real. It is a partial panorama with gaps filled by cloning.

I should have suspected as much, but I still don't know just how many gaps remain if you look at the whole image dataset.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Yesterday, 03:06 AM
Post #949

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I have been working with the full image set. We have a full horizon panorama and all the workspace. I think there may be a few gaps around the edges of the workspace. It's possible we have the full area covered, but the neither the InSight team nor the wizards here have released a full cylindrical panorama including all of the workspace, which is what I am looking for to support other mapping. Eventually they intend to produce full panoramas with two or three different illumination directions.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
Quetzalcoatl
post Yesterday, 11:36 AM
Post #950

Member No.: 8747

Bonjour,

Without wanting to be systematically critical, it also seems that the efficiency of wind protection (WTS) is relatively poor.

I quote from the link provided yesterday by Fredk regarding SEIS operations :

"InSight's seismometer, called the Seismic Experiment for Interior Structure (SEIS), detected its first marsquake nearly three months after starting its measurements in January 2019. By the fall of 2019, it was detecting a potential quake or two per day. While SEIS has detected more than 480 seismic signals overall, the rate has dropped to less than one per week."
"This rate change is tied to seasonal variations of atmospheric turbulence, which creates noise that covers up the tiny quake signals. Despite the protective Wind and Thermal Shield, SEIS is sensitive enough that shaking from the wind hitting the shield can make quakes harder to isolate."

The difficulties to overcome are innumerable for the accomplishment of a planetary mission, I am perfectly aware of it. And the unexpected takes its share.

Letís see how the WTS was sold to us before the launch of Insight:

https://www.seis-insight.eu/en/public-2/seis-instrument/wts

+Quote Post
Xerxes
post Today, 07:08 PM
Post #951

Member No.: 4097

QUOTE (Quetzalcoatl @ Jul 10 2020, 06:36 AM) *
the efficiency of wind protection (WTS) is relatively poor.

"This rate change is tied to seasonal variations of atmospheric turbulence, which creates noise that covers up the tiny quake signals. Despite the protective Wind and Thermal Shield, SEIS is sensitive enough that shaking from the wind hitting the shield can make quakes harder to isolate."

I think your inferences are unwarranted. It was always known that wind noise was the limiting factor for signal detection, and the increase of wind on a seasonal basis would therefore obviously decrease the number of detections. That doesn't tell us anything about whether the WTS is working at the expected efficiency. If you take a look at figure SI1.1 in The Seismicity of Mars (Supplemental) and compare it to the figures in Noise Model of SEIS, they seem pretty close to me.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Today, 08:18 PM
Post #952

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 9 2020, 07:06 PM) *
Eventually they intend to produce full panoramas with two or three different illumination directions.

All of the images through sol 480 are released through PDS at https://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/nsyt/insight_cameras/ in multiple forms (including ones where rover structure is helpfully masked out) but even though their SIS describes multiple flavors of mosaics, 3D grids, etc, I don't think any of those have been released yet; at least I couldn't find them.

--------------------

+Quote Post

64 Pages V  « < 62 63 64
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th July 2020 - 08:51 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.