Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Space Data Wiki
MouseOnMars
post Dec 27 2008, 03:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2288

Hello,

The project "Space Data Wiki" is looking for help, volunteers, kind words, ideas, and constructive criticism.

To explain Space Data Wiki. Think of SDW as the Wikipedia of the visual exploration of space images. A user can add a comment to some interesting or notable feature which will start a new wiki page visible in the comment bubble ... the same bubbles you might have seen in Google Earth. They will be able to share that comment and area of the image on Facebook, or upload the image area to Flickr. Many other possible social interactions are possible using the application layers and toolsets provided by the social web.

I have a Web Map Server already setup using Geoserver and I am in the process of developing the SDW web app using Open Layers. I am using the HiRise feed published by Ross Beyer of the HiRise team. I am working on projecting a HiRise jp2 image onto my map to experiment with the commenting. The NASA / Google agreement will eventually furnish us with a full Mars web map service including all the HiRise images as well as other sources. These data sources will be used in SDW. The commenting system can be cross application. I already have a development plugin in NASA Worldwind to allow commenting using that. The comments could also be fed to Google Earth (set up to show Mars).

So my "mission" is to make exploration as accessible as possible, but also a social endeavour.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
imipak
post Dec 28 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 617

I'm a relative late-comer to this newfangled FriendFace-type stuff, but I despite approaching them with pretty cynical expectations I've had some serendipitous moments from social networking sites. ISTR spotting quite a few, uh, "UMSF regulars", too... There's SciLink, too, but the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned; TIMTOWTDI. Good luck, MouseOnMars!

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:40 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.