Planetary Christmas ornaments
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 14 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 14 2011, 06:22 AM) *
Cranking up the saturation on the last image

Ooooh. Pretty. If I could find a Christmas ornament of Vesta that looked like that like that I'd hang it on my tree. Maybe that's an idea for a future TPS fundraising product -- planetary ornaments.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chuckclark
post Nov 14 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3967

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 14 2011, 03:47 PM) *
Ooooh. Pretty. If I could find a Christmas ornament of Vesta that looked like that like that I'd hang it on my tree. Maybe that's an idea for a future TPS fundraising product -- planetary ornaments.

Hey, that's a perfect use of the foldable maps (see Phobos, et al. over at rightbasicbuilding.com I've been making. Our yearly tree has an extensive solar system ornamentation already.

Trouble with normal methods of 3D manufacture is the size of the production run, and by some method, printing surface features onto the object.

Nice thing about the foldable paper approach is that color printing takes place (duh) on the flat sheet, then, cut'n'fold. (Of course if my memory serves, you EGD, will draw rabbit ears on the flat map, but they'll disappear when folded.

Now all we need is for me to get my hands on an actual model of Vesta, to capture metes and bounds. Anybody out there able to contribute?

+Quote Post
john_s
post Nov 14 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

I did a virtual version of the planetary Xmas ornament idea 15 years ago: 1996 Christmas Card. But it would be really cool to do it for real...

John

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 14 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #4

Administrator

Member No.: 454

It's been suggested before. We've looked into it and you can get circular (not spherical, sadly) ceramic ornaments custom-printed with a photo from lots of places, including our own store at Cafe Press. When we checked last year I think they were prohibitively expensive but I just looked there and the base price is $6, which is I think a lot less than it was last year. Would people buy planet-themed circular, not spherical ornaments at $8 or $9 a pop?

If I were feeling super creative I might go this route and try making my own...
http://craftsbyamanda.com/2011/09/sports-ball-ornaments.html

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Nov 15 2011, 06:49 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 615

Years ago I made a Christmas card for work that used that same theme.

Attached Image

and a Mars bauble too smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:09 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.