IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

77 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Curiosity Lands Safely in Gale Crater, Landing and Commissioning Activity Period 1A, sols 0-8
Eluchil
post Aug 7 2012, 07:14 AM
Post #361

Group: Members
Member No.: 972

I see some NavCam and MAHLI images on the JPL raw site. The MAHLI looks like it missed the crater rim and just shows the sky. Based on the filenmaes it looks like two images, but I can't spot any differences in an eyeball check. There are a number of black pixels which I thought might be cosmic ray hits but they match up in the two images. Bad CCD elements? Dust?

The NavCam thumbnails show that it is alive and functioning, but still stowed. I am very excited to see the full NavCam panorama once the Remote Sensing Mast is deployed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 7 2012, 07:15 AM
Post #362

Member No.: 5221

moozoo:Those have all been answered before, all in the negative.

The heat shield, on the other hand, is another matter. I wonder if it turned inside out like Oppy's did. The engineers will want to know its performance for sure.

As for exposure, the tungsten masses would have done a good job; heavy, falling very fast, and chemically pure. A big hole would be hard to not excavate.
Just a matter of spotting them w/ MRO and seeing which is closest to MSL's future path.

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Aug 7 2012, 07:21 AM
Post #363

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Eluchil @ Aug 7 2012, 05:14 PM) *
I see some NavCam and MAHLI images on the JPL raw site. The MAHLI looks like it missed the crater rim and just shows the sky.

I'm seeing horizon/rim of Gale, just very washed out.

+Quote Post
remcook
post Aug 7 2012, 07:22 AM
Post #364

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

Late at the party, but a big congratulations to the MSL team! Already we're seeing some mouthwatering pictures. Looking forward to a succesful mission smile.gif

+Quote Post
Eluchil
post Aug 7 2012, 07:25 AM
Post #365

QUOTE (SFJCody @ Aug 7 2012, 08:21 AM) *
I'm seeing horizon/rim of Gale, just very washed out.

Yep. The processed version posted by JPL and linked by Explorer1 shows this clearly. The raws are tilted about 135 degrees.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Aug 7 2012, 07:44 AM
Post #366

Member No.: 3988

Looks like there is alot of dust on the cover of MAHLI. You can see some rocks...After some sharpening and brightness adjustments.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Aug 7 2012, 08:11 AM
Post #367

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (Pando @ Aug 7 2012, 06:56 AM) *
Could this be the descent stage? I doubt it's the shadow, but the metal components might reflect light...

Don't think so. It looks like a dust grain on the lens.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Aug 7 2012, 08:39 AM
Post #368

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

laugh.gif Ah, I remember back to the early days of the Forum when Spirit and Opportunity landed.
How we'd have so much fun just sharpening and contrasting images until the better quality images came along smile.gif

Takes me back to those good ol' days biggrin.gif

Go Curiosity!!

+Quote Post
xflare
post Aug 7 2012, 08:41 AM
Post #369

Member No.: 84

The NAVCAMs look quite dusty too

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Aug 7 2012, 09:57 AM
Post #370

Member No.: 16

If I understood the talk at the last press conference then the stowed MAHLI image should fit into the scene something like this.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Doc
post Aug 7 2012, 10:13 AM
Post #371

Member No.: 3978

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Aug 7 2012, 12:57 PM) *
If I understood the talk at the last press conference then the stowed MAHLI image should fit into the scene something like this.

Yeah it should be more or less there. The image caption says northwards. Brilliant image james!

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
gregson
post Aug 7 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #372

Member No.: 5494

Where I can download detailed photos of landing place to load them to Google Earth? Maybe also some kmz file with location of Curiosity? Please.

+Quote Post
Eluchil
post Aug 7 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #373

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Aug 7 2012, 12:02 PM) *
During the landing the EDL commentator said "we found a nice flat place, we're coming in ready for skycrane" (around 28:17 in this video). I wonder what he meant by that--that they just passively found a nice flat place? By what means did they get a measure of the flatness?

My first thought was that he was referring to the landing ellipse as a whole, but in context it seems like it might be a translation of the immediately preceding chatter that the "altitude error" was 5.9 m. The low error reflects convergent altitude measurements, perhaps the IMU versus the radar that was talked about at one of the press conferences.

+Quote Post
dshaffer
post Aug 7 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #374

Member No.: 29

QUOTE (eoincampbell @ Aug 6 2012, 11:43 PM) *
But their shadows are cast on the backshell, as your wonderful 10x reveals, ...good enough for me smile.gif

I think the shadow is from the cone at the top of the backshell......

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Aug 7 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #375

Member No.: 253

QUOTE (gregson @ Aug 7 2012, 12:51 PM) *
Where I can download detailed photos of landing place to load them to Google Earth? Maybe also some kmz file with location of Curiosity? Please.

The maps on Google Earth / Mars were updated (yesterday?) and currently cover the whole landing site at HiRISE resolution. Just open it in "mars mode" and zoom in at Gale Crater (or double click on Mars Gallery > Rovers and Landers > MSL Curiosity Rover) and you are there.

+Quote Post

77 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:50 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.