IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The sol 588 and 589 "strange bright lights" [sic], Using the power of UMSF for good
vikingmars
post Apr 9 2014, 07:26 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 172

QUOTE (nprev @ Apr 9 2014, 06:52 AM) *
Agree scientifically, of course. Too bad, though; great opportunity to place some well-deserved egg on the right faces.

Could some "candidates" be seen from orbit on HiRISE images ? Or are they too small ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xflare
post Apr 9 2014, 07:39 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 9 2014, 05:01 AM) *
Seriously, the speculation is getting a bit out of hand here. There are better places for this kind of discussion...

Everyone likes solving mysteries biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

The candidate rock even looks quite bright in that mastcam image.

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Apr 9 2014, 09:21 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 381

Something that shiny makes me think of iron-nickel meteorites, which can be essentially pure metal. We already know there are meteorites on Mars. If it isn't too old, it
would not have oxidized the surface yet (which would take much longer on Mars than Earth).

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Apr 9 2014, 09:38 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 678

I can hardly think it's a reflexion from a distant object. The parallax between the two Navcam is too close to have a very bright spot in one, an none in the other.
Let me explain : On Earth, when you are looking to a city in sunlight, sometimes there is a specular reflexion coming from a window or a large panel of bright metal. This reflexion don't disappear if you just moving less than a meter. Or the object that is reflecting the sun have to be a few centimeters large, with a very plane surface (typically : a mirror). I doubt that on Mars such a rock exist : very plane and very reflective in the same time. They can be flat, but not as flat as mirror. Because the surface aspect is certainly not a perfect plane, the light beam could not be so tight. And just because of that, if it was actually a reflexion from a rock, it should have been saw by the TWO camera, not one.

For me it's just a cosmic ray hit, maliciously place by coincidence on a particularly place, but it's just cosmic rays.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Apr 9 2014, 09:43 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 542

They're shiny [iron meteorites] but rarely have perfectly flat faces. I'd prefer very large single crystals, possibly feldspar, in the unlikely event that these are real landscape features.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Apr 9 2014, 09:48 AM
Post #36

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

It's baaack...
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/ustrax3/nru4.jpg

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Apr 9 2014, 11:25 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 13

Some basic geometry of the situation using SPICE:

Raw image: NRB_449790582EDR_F0310000NCAM00262M_

Map view

time of shot: sol 589 03:08:07 P.M. LMST (2014 APR 03 10:00:03 UTC) et = 449791270

NRB boresight direction (azimuth, elevation): 298.81° -16.86°

Direction of bright pixels: 286.06° 0.67°

Sun position: 300.33° 31.79°

So the sun position relative to the line from the camera to the bright pixels is 14.27° northward and 31.12° up.

Attached Image

Kind of interesting (coincidence?) that the pixels are within a degree of horizontal.

EDIT: Also, if it is the same object in both images, here's my attempt at triangulation:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Apr 9 2014, 01:12 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 6780

Do the two lines of sight intersect in 3d space?

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Apr 9 2014, 01:25 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 132

It seems that the intersection of those two of those lines is in mid air above the bowl of that crater.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 9 2014, 01:41 PM
Post #40

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

That triangulation matches, by my estimation, the tall, thin, bright, shiny feature seen in these Mastcam images a week earlier.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...325E01_DXXX.jpg

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...044E01_DXXX.jpg

It will also be in this image once down linked at full res
http://marsmobile.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multime..._DXXX&s=590

+Quote Post
john_s
post Apr 9 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 117

Tall and thin, indeed. Bright and shiny? Not so sure. It looks to me like an rock of unusual shape but ordinary color and brightness, that just happens to have a vertical face oriented to catch the light in that shot.

John

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 9 2014, 02:02 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (ustrax @ Apr 9 2014, 09:48 AM) *

Hah! laugh.gif

At least the Beacon didn't appear and disappear like... like... you know it's coming... a cosmic ray! wink.gif

+Quote Post
marswiggle
post Apr 9 2014, 02:21 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 193

After individually rotating and resizing each of those R navcam images, cropping the pair, enlarging 1.5 x, vertically stretching 2 x, and sharpening a bit for good measure, I think I can discern the ridge at 150 m (late edit: probably farther off, 200 m or so) distance in both images as an arched outline at the center. This comparison also works as a crude cross-eyed pair. The bright spots do not seem to be located at or near the ridge, instead being unrelated to it and to each other as well. Don't know how much this helps though.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 9 2014, 03:08 PM
Post #44

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I'm still having a hard time thinking of the sol 589 one as anything but a cosmic ray hit; it extends several pixels above the horizon, onto the distant hills.

It did occur to me while awake last night (as these things do) that you could make a singularly bright vertical rock face by exposing the planar surface of a gypsum vein. Still, I would expect more than one such feature to show up, and I would expect it to be visible to both eyes, and it should not have that vertical extension. So I just don't like it.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Apr 9 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4338

If the vein was inside a narrow crack between two rocks, then a glint from it would only be visible within a very narrow viewing angle.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:51 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.