34 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
KAGUYA lunar explorer (aka SELENE)
dilo
post Dec 7 2007, 05:57 PM
Post #226

Group: Members
Member No.: 150

Hi FordPrefect! (and thanks for all the fish! laugh.gif ).
Obviously is impossible to make stereography or photoclinometry for completely dark regions, however Kaguya has anoboard laser altimetry...
http://www.selene.jaxa.jp/en/equipment/lalt_e.htm
your friend Arthur Dent.

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 7 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #227

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

laugh.gif exp 42!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
FordPrefect
post Dec 8 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #228

Member No.: 738

Thank you Arthur, err dilo for pointing that out. Laser-altimetry! I should have known better. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 10 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #229

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The image gallery mentioned above has been updated with Earthrise/Earthset images.

PS Ford - it does have a laser altimeter, but the data are not yet adequate for what you are talking about. In these earliest views the slope would just be extrapolated into shadows for visualization.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Norm Hartnett
post Dec 11 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #230

Member No.: 1354

NASA just announced GRAIL http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2007/dec/H...il_Mission.html and I am a little puzzled as to how this differs from the expected KAGUYA - RELAY - VRAD satellite results on MASCONs etc.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 11 2007, 05:49 PM
Post #231

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Hmm. We just might be seeing the bare beginnings of a land rush here, IMHO. Looks like there's lots of resource/geophysical survey interest all of a sudden from several quarters. The next ten years might be interesting indeed...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Dec 12 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #232

Member No.: 174

"I am a little puzzled as to how this differs from the expected KAGUYA - RELAY - VRAD satellite results on MASCONs etc."

I believe this is 2 spacecraft in low orbit, one following the other. Essentially a lunar version of the ultra high signal-to-noise and high resolution GRACE mission in low earth orbit. Spacecraft track each other. Kaguya/Relay simply gets the lunar orbiter radio signal out from behind the farside for otherwise "as usual" range/doppler radio tracking.

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Dec 14 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #233

Guests

http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2007/12/20071214_kaguya_e.html Observations using the Spectral Profiler (SP) now that's interesting.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 21 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #234

Administrator

Member No.: 454

JAXA press release: Transition to normal science operations (Japanese - Google translation)

I think these are all-new videos too but I'm not sure what they show...there's an elf preventing me from sitting and watching them all the way through...there does seem to be some geometrical information in a table on the original release page, describing the locations of the videos.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 22 2007, 01:20 AM
Post #235

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Nice. Yes, there is lat-long data for each. And the Apollo 17 flyover also shows the dark 'bay' of Le Monnier crater, containing the Lunokhod-2 site. Another video is of the Sinus Iridum area with the Lunokhod-1 site off at left early in the video.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 22 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #236

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Lens Flare. Sweet smile.gif

+Quote Post
nop
post Dec 22 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #237

Member No.: 571

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 22 2007, 07:45 AM) *
JAXA press release: Transition to normal science operations (Japanese - Google translation)

The release says that checkout has been finished and all instruments exhibit expected performance, except for XRS and CPS.
As for XRS, they found that observation by four CCDs causes more measurement noises than expected. Now they are considering how to reduce noises. And they are using a single CCD for the time being, which seems better than observation with four CCDs. Resolution will be halved, but it seems enough for getting desired data.
CPS turned out to be disordered in detection of heavy particles about two hours after starting observation, because of overheating of voltage control circuit. Now they are using CPS when the temperature is low.
Anyway, they are now managing to solve these problems.

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 22 2007, 07:45 AM) *
I think these are all-new videos too but I'm not sure what they show...there's an elf preventing me from sitting and watching them all the way through...there does seem to be some geometrical information in a table on the original release page, describing the locations of the videos.

You can see four videos directly at:
http://space.jaxa.jp/movie/index_20071221_kaguya_j.html
- Crater Lyot and Mare Australe (14 Nov, 22:47-22:55)
- Crater Posidonius and Mare Serenitatis (19 Nov, 3:21-3:29)
- Rise of crescent Earth and Venus, seen from South Pole (22 Nov, 3:14-3:22)
- From Mare Imbrium to Sinus Iridium and Montes Jura (23 Nov, 17:17-17:25)

... though I cannot find out where the venus is tongue.gif

The circle in the following image points around Apollo 17 landing site. The right region is Montes Taurus, and the left is Mare Serenitatis.
http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2007/12/img/20071...kaguya_01_j.jpg

+Quote Post
nop
post Dec 29 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #238

Member No.: 571

FYI, you can download Kaguya's orbit ephemeris data during the critical phase (compressed with LZH format):
http://edu.jaxa.jp/news/file.cgi/722.lzh?id=722

The data is based on the CCSDS format (epoch, X, Y, Z, X_dot, Y_dot, Z_dot).
http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/502x0b1.pdf

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 10 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #239

Administrator

Member No.: 454

They just posted a story, including some neat images, on successful observations using the laser altimeter and radar sounder. The results seem really important -- they report detection of near-horizontal strata as much as 500 meters below the surface of the Moon. I won't have time to study this stuff closely until after the MESSENGER flyby, which is too bad -- there's some really great science to look at here!
KAGUYA (SELENE) Observations with Laser Altimeter (LALT) and Lunar Radar Sounder (LRS) Sounder Mode

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
FordPrefect
post Jan 11 2008, 01:43 PM
Post #240

Member No.: 738

The LALT will cover the entire region of the Moon with a height resolution of 5 m at a sampling interval smaller than 2 km.

As someone trying to CG render parts of the lunar surface with a high degree of accuracy, and sorry for my non-scientific interruption here, that comment in the recent press release above got me very excited. How many times did I long for a decent DEM map of the entire Moon, like we have of Mars today! It looks like we don't need to wait for LRO to do this job (if it was ever intended to do so...)
Now the big question is whether it will be publicly available, once they've completed it? I guess that process alone will take some time (years?). unsure.gif

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:20 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.