Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pluto Atmospheric Observations: NH Post-Encounter Phase, 1 Aug 2015- TBD
alan
post Oct 3 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

Quote from a recent NASA article

In these unwrapped images, the hazes appear brighter in the evening sky than in the morning sky, possibly suggesting that the hazes and their distribution are controlled by diurnal processes, becoming more concentrated over the course of Pluto’s long day and depleting during Pluto’s long night. Perhaps the haze particles gently rain down onto the surface through the night, staining Pluto with a distinctive reddish cast, or perhaps other atmospheric processes act to move and concentrate the haze.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/pluto/2015/09/25/pluto-at-twilight/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Oct 8 2015, 04:50 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 530

Those hazes are *blue*
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-A...p?page=20151008

+Quote Post
Nafnlaus
post Oct 8 2015, 07:21 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 7507

And how blue they are smile.gif

Such a simple image - there's not really much to comment about it from a scientific standpoint. But it really packs an emotive punch. Each time I look at that picture it makes me think, "why the heck haven't we visited this world sooner" and "wow, what else is out there in the kuiper belt?"

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 8 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 542

And it vindicates the wonderful coloured version of the looking back landscape posted here earlier.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=37888
I'm so relieved - I so much wanted to believe that scene was real but couldn't for sure till now.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 8 2015, 11:09 PM
Post #80

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

The blue color is interesting because it *may* mean that Mie scattering isn't as dominant as would have been case had the atmosphere been grayish (or not blue). Which in turn may mean that the atmosphere might be easier to see in low-phase views of Pluto. If I remember correctly, someone (Gennady maybe) had noticed what could be atmosheric limb hazes in low-phase LORRI images but it could also be due to scattered light - what's really needed are higher resolution low-phase images of Pluto's limb to distinguish possible hazes from scattering in LORRI's optics.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Oct 8 2015, 11:10 PM
Post #81

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Oct 8 2015, 04:50 PM) *

Interesting about the blue color. We can consider this in quantitative terms as to what the Angstrom Exponent would be. Typical aerosols on Earth range from 0-2 (gray to light blue). Air molecules are a value of 4 (more blue). What Bjorn is mentioning would be consistent as the smaller aerosols, having the higher Angstrom Exponent, would also have a flatter phase function with less brightness difference between forward and backward scattering. Thus the color can be correlated with both the size and with the phase function.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
remcook
post Oct 9 2015, 08:05 AM
Post #82

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

Though note that that fractal particles, such as found on Titan, can have a pretty high Angstrom coefficient AND are pretty forward-scattering.

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Oct 9 2015, 04:58 PM
Post #83

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 8 2015, 10:06 PM) *
And it vindicates the wonderful coloured version of the looking back landscape posted here earlier.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=37888
I'm so relieved - I so much wanted to believe that scene was real but couldn't for sure till now.

If anything, I was *too* conservative with the saturation of the blue hazes!

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Oct 9 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 184

Yes perhaps it should be bluer. I suppose we can sample the released RGB image and consider the color ratios, color space, tristimulus functions, gamma correction, and wavelengths of interest and even calculate the Angstrom Exponent.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 9 2015, 07:45 PM
Post #85

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

In hindsight this test render I posted 2 months ago is interesting:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=225265

Not quite saturated enough since judging from the description I've seen of how the MVIC image was processed it should be very close to the true color and contrast of Pluto's atmosphere.

+Quote Post
Gennady Ionov
post Oct 9 2015, 08:46 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 7579

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Oct 9 2015, 04:09 AM) *
Which in turn may mean that the atmosphere might be easier to see in low-phase views of Pluto. If I remember correctly, someone (Gennady maybe) had noticed what could be atmosheric limb hazes in low-phase LORRI images but it could also be due to scattered light - what's really needed are higher resolution low-phase images of Pluto's limb to distinguish possible hazes from scattering in LORRI's optics.

Yes, and I used "flat" phase function with forward/backward ratio equal to 6.
With regard to the published picture, I was confused by the fact that the color of a narrow crescent of reddish surface of Pluto are also blue.
Slightly corrected the color and get this:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 9 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 542

I think you both (Ian and Bjorn) were absolutely spot on with the colour. Colour saturation is a subjective physiological thing. When you look at the NH image the blue atmosphere occupies a very small fraction of your field of view. It looks strikingly blue, but if you actually went there so your whole sky in the direction of the sun was filled with it it would seem less so.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 9 2015, 10:51 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (Gennady Ionov @ Oct 9 2015, 09:46 PM) *
I was confused by the fact that the color of a narrow crescent of reddish surface of Pluto are also blue.

How narrow? Is the sunlit surface actually resolved, or are we just seeing mainly the brightest part of the sky (ie the largest phase angle part)? We may not expect to see any red if the sunlit surface is very narrow. Knowing the time the image was taken, it should be easy to simulate the view from NH and determine how many pixels (or what fraction of a pixel) the sunlit suface is wide.

Also, there will be some atmosphere "on top of" the sunlit surface adding blue light to the surface's reddish light (as much as half the optical depth of the pure-atmosphere lines of sight). Distant mountains on earth tend to look blue for this reason.

+Quote Post
Gennady Ionov
post Oct 10 2015, 12:32 AM
Post #89

I can simulate what portion of pixel crescent is sunlight reflected from the surface from the total brightness of the pixel, if it is known shooting time. But using previous experience of modeling LORRI images I can say that it is about 90%.

However, it is possible to analyze other more simple and reliable way without simulation of light tracing.
Unfold the image relative to the horizon
Attached Image

and find the dependence of the maximum brightness for each color channel from the position angle
Attached Image

blue channel overexposed in crescent region, but it does not hurt much to our analysis.
Night side takes an angle of approximately 155 to 335 degrees.
At this angles atmospheric glow reaches its maximum value and almost no change in the crescent. Thus the excess glow is associated with reflection from the surface of Pluto.
On the night side of the weakening of glow due to the fact that we see illuminated the higher layers of haze. Multiply colors on the night side by constant factors, so that at the border with crescent values in channels about the same.
Attached Image

Either the color of haze becomes more blue with height or the image have shifted zero at blue channel.
The color of the reflective surface is obtained as on the left side of picture, in the middle is avarage color of pluto surface:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gennady Ionov
post Oct 11 2015, 07:29 AM
Post #90

If we multiply the green channel by 0.9, and blue channel by 0.8, we get the color of the surface of Pluto as on the right part of picture:
Attached Image

RGB graph:
Attached Image

And corrected image in comparing to original:
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:40 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.