2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Where Is My Name?
hal_9000
post Jan 9 2006, 08:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 358

Do anyone know where did they install the disc with names? (pics)
Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jan 9 2006, 11:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (hal_9000 @ Jan 9 2006, 08:29 AM)
Do anyone know where did they install the disc with names? (pics)
Thanks!

The disk is mounted along a side wall of the s/c exterior, under the thermal blankets.
If you have seen pictures with the flags, the CD is under one of the flags.

-Alan

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Jan 9 2006, 03:38 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 385

What format Is that CDROM recorded with names? As a ASCII TEXT? MS Word or Lotus Wordpro?
How is that fixed so it won't be fallen out the space?

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
hal_9000
post Jan 9 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #4

Oh... I didn't find any pic.. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jan 9 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jan 9 2006, 03:38 PM)
What format Is that CDROM recorded with names?  As a ASCII TEXT?  MS Word or Lotus Wordpro?
How is that fixed so it won't be fallen out the space?

Rodolfo

No idea what format. Ask the Public Affairs guy, Mike Buckley, at APL.
He'll find out for you I am sure.

Don't worry, we won't let the CD fall off.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 9 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #6

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I cant find any at KSC that were taken after the CD was fixed, but before the insulation blankets went one. Looking at the spacecraft from 'above' as it were - without the HGA - it's a little like the classic shape of a house - with the RTG being a very large chimney. The CD would be on one of the two sides that would be the 'roof' of the house - the two sides that angle toward the RTG shield.

Doug

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 9 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 430

Perhaps this is the place to ask: What are the materials commemorating Clyde Tombaugh and where are they stored on NH? Thanks.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
hal_9000
post Jan 10 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #8

anyone found it?

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Jan 11 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 9 2006, 04:29 PM)
I cant find any at KSC that were taken after the CD was fixed, but before the insulation blankets went one.  Looking at the spacecraft from 'above' as it were - without the HGA - it's a little like the classic shape of a house - with the RTG being a very large chimney.  The CD would be on one of the two sides that would be the 'roof' of the house - the two sides that angle toward the RTG shield.

Doug

After interpreting your words, I am guessing the ubication of CDROM with the following attachment. I might be wrong and please correct me.
Attached Image

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 11 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #10

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Behind the stars-and-stripes in that image, or perhaps in the same position on the opposite side of the spacecraft.

Doug

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Feb 4 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 430

The location of Clyde Tombaugh's ashes and the memorial text on the container are in the first article.

Pluto Mission News

February 3, 2006

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy 100th Birthday, Clyde Tombaugh!

When the late American astronomer Clyde W. Tombaugh discovered Pluto 76 years ago this month, he opened the gateway to an unknown region of ancient, icy objects unlike any worlds in our solar system – and touched off a revolution in our understanding of Earth’s ever-expanding planetary neighborhood.

February 4, 2006, marks the 100th anniversary of Tombaugh’s birth – and New Horizons is speeding toward the planet he discovered, carrying a small amount of his ashes along with the dreams of all who, like this Kansas farm boy, gazed toward the heavens in the name of exploration and discovery.

Click here for the full story, or visit

http://www.jhuapl.edu/newscenter/pressrele...2006/060203.asp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clyde Tombaugh: A Daughter’s Perspective

Clyde Tombaugh received many awards and plaudits for his scientific and academic achievements, but Annette Tombaugh-Sitze says Pluto’s discoverer also should have won an award for being a great father.

“My dad gave me a wondrous, beautiful gift that speaks to me of him every night when I step outside my door,” Tombaugh-Sitze writes on the New Horizons Web site. “He gave me the sky.”

Read the full story here, or visit

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/news_center/news/020306.htm.

New Horizons is the first mission to Pluto and the Kuiper Belt of rocky, icy objects beyond. Principal Investigator Alan Stern, of the Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), leads a mission team that includes the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, Ball Aerospace Corporation, the Boeing Company, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Stanford University, KinetX, Inc., Lockheed Martin Corporation, University of Colorado, the U.S. Department of Energy, and a number of other firms, NASA centers and university partners. For more information on the mission, visit http://pluto.jhuapl.edu.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Feb 4 2006, 08:24 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (hal_9000 @ Jan 9 2006, 01:29 AM)
Where Is My Name?

Not on that CD, unfortunately. sad.gif

QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Jan 9 2006, 04:51 AM)
The disk is mounted along a side wall of the s/c exterior, under the thermal blankets.
If you have seen pictures with the flags, the CD is under one of the flags.

-Alan

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
abalone
post Feb 4 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 409

disk is mounted along a side wall of the s/c exterior, under the thermal blankets.

Pleased to hear that!! My whole family is in there!!
Heard rumours we're in for a cold snap!!

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Feb 5 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (abalone @ Feb 4 2006, 08:19 AM)
...Heard rumours we're in for a cold snap!!

No, the SNAP is actually pretty warm... biggrin.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
abalone
post Feb 5 2006, 05:14 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 409

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 5 2006, 11:37 AM)
No, the SNAP is actually pretty warm...  biggrin.gif

-the other Doug

Silly me!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.