9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Spy Satellite to Hit Earth by late February to March
dvandorn
post Feb 21 2008, 04:01 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

CNN just ran the story about 20 minutes ago, reporting a hit. No details, and no information whatsoever about how direct the hit was. The only "information" given was that the satellite was traveling at orbital velocity (first cosmic velocity to our Russian friends), roughly 17,500 mph, and the impactor was going about 5,000 mph in the opposite direction. (Yeah, I know, it's olde English imperial units -- but it's CNN, after all.)

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 21 2008, 05:14 AM
Post #62

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Space/AP

Navy Hits Satellite With Heat-Seeking Missile

http://www.space.com/news/080220-satellite-hit.html

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Feb 21 2008, 06:31 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (Jim from NSF.com @ Feb 20 2008, 06:34 PM) *
You haven't been keeping up with things, it is solid hydrazine. Many propellant tanks (Delta II, Columbia, etc) have survived hypervelocity entry

I know *empty* propellant tanks can survive entry because of their low ballistic coefficient e.g.
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~rlorenz/spaceball.pdf

Have any full tanks ever done so? They would surely experience much higher loads.
I wonder, can solid hydrazine detonate?

(Columbia doesnt count as it started the entry with thermal protection)

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 21 2008, 07:42 AM
Post #64

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

I am still waiting for the video from the missile. Don't tell me they didn't put one on it...

Hey my tax dollars paid for this, I don't think it is too much to ask for a video of said impact laugh.gif

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 21 2008, 07:49 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 523

They need time to clean out the aliens from the footage.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mchan
post Feb 21 2008, 08:07 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 16 2008, 06:47 PM) *
I would, however, really like to know if there's some sort of substance out there that's safe to fly to coat the tanks with, something that might promote intense spot-heating during reentry. I don't know; maybe a layer of magnesium coated with plastic to keep the O2 out pre-launch, or even just a few strategically-placed patches of same?

One other thing about such "vent-patches" is that they might blow under some circumstances during a launch failure & dump the crap before it's anywhere close enough to habitable areas to cause problems.

Well, Nick, looks like there have been some studies along the lines of your thoughts. I was looking at one of the sci.space.* groups and pulled this signal out of the noise --

An Overview of Demise Calculations...

+Quote Post
mchan
post Feb 21 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (ugordan @ Feb 20 2008, 11:49 PM) *
They need time to clean out the aliens from the footage.

You don't know half of it. You think it was a coincidence that the missile was launched exactly at the midpoint of the total lunar eclipse when the lowest level of solar radiation was reaching the moon?

+Quote Post
CAP-Team
post Feb 21 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 1067

How much more space debree is now orbiting Earth? blink.gif

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 21 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 523

And, more importantly, anyone know if there's a possibility for updated orbital elements of the bulk of the debris cloud so we skygazers could go out and hope for reentry fireballs at certain times?

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 21 2008, 09:54 AM
Post #70

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (CAP-Team @ Feb 21 2008, 09:00 AM) *
How much more space debree is now orbiting Earth? blink.gif

Quite a lot, but below an altitude of any active vehicle and it'll be gone within a few weeks. China's ASAT test debris, however, continues to endanger LEO vehicles (including ISS, Hubble etc) , and will do so for many years to come.

There's a Press conf. at 1200UT today I think ( http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=49024 )
Doug

+Quote Post
helvick
post Feb 21 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #71

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Immediately after the impact there was quite a lot but by now there is likely to be very little and by this time next week virtually none. The dynamics of the situation have stacked the odds very much in favour of this being a very clean strike.

Timing it to coincide with a full lunar eclpise may entirely coincidental or even have been useful for some aspects of the exercise but I can't help thinking that at some point in the planning there were a bunch of military types hovering over some Cassini (and New Horizons) Kodak Moments thinking - "Guys these are cool and all but I know how we can get an even better shot". I'm waiting for that tracking shot that shows the moment of impact against a backdrop of a red-brown lunar disc.

+Quote Post
jaredGalen
post Feb 21 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 123

Apparent FEMA document outlining the satellite reentry and potential response etc.

One statement says that ninety-nine percent of the debris will renter the atmosphere within one week. The same as the original reentry timeline of the intact satellite I think.

http://88.80.13.160/wiki/US_spy_satallite_shootdown_briefing

--------------------
Turn the middle side topwise....TOPWISE!!

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Feb 21 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #73

Guests

As expected some of the British press are using the event to take some not so subtle digs at the United States....drawing attention to their criticism of the Chinese test, without realising much of the criticism of that event came from the scientific community highlighting how insanely stupid it was.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 21 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #74

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Which bits of the British Media? I've got some letter writing to do it seems

What I simply can't believe I'm reading is Chinese criticism of this. That defies belief.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Feb 21 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #75

Guests

It was the lead story on Newsnight last night....and the first thing the presenter asked. Sadly the press are unable to see past the politics of these events... and see how totally different they are.

LOL.. you've got to laugh at this quote from China:

Spokesman Liu Jianchao said: "China is continuously following closely the possible harm caused by the US action to outer space security and relevant countries.

"China requests the US to fulfil its international obligations in real earnest and provide to the international community necessary information and relevant data in a timely and prompt way so that relevant countries can take precautions."

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:28 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.