IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
"Mapping the Surface of a Video Game Moon", (From another site)
jrdahlman
post May 16 2012, 02:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 561

While surfing on the net, I found something that something that some of you may get a kick out of. Lots of us have been taking spacecraft data and using it to create a 3D rendering. This person did the same sort of thing... to moon in a video game.

I'd never heard of it, but it's called Kerbal Space Program, which the article describes as "an awesome little space flight simulator set in an alternate reality where everyone is just slightly incompetent." Apparently it's more than just a "game"--more Minecraft than Angry Birds. You have to design & build your own spacecraft to fly to the "Mun" (moon) in the game.

Anyway, the writer explains how he wanted to get topographic data of the Mun (without breaking into the game). He explains about the script for the virtual radar orbiting it that generated a CSV data set. There's a neat color height map that builds with each virtual "orbit", then a rendering of the 3D virtual globe from it.

Mapping the Surface of a Video Game Moon

(Hackaday.com --a "Hack-A-Day"--is an absolutely nutty site that's wonderful for anybody who likes to build things. Electronic things, physical things, vehicles, 3D printers, the Arduino, science explanations, the whole "maker" crowd.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Astro0
post May 17 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Topic re-opened. smile.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 17 2012, 05:58 PM
Post #3

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I'm utterly addicted to Kerbal. Infact - right now I'm mapping Mun using this very addon. Running at 2x speed in a 4.5 x 45km orbit - I've gone about 31 orbits so far. You can see a few sections where I tried 10x speed, but the spacing became very bad ( call it, errr, low data rate season? )

Once this mapping cycle is finished - about another 15 orbits or so - I'll go to a high orbit, at 10x speed, to have a more scattergun approach and leave that running for a while.

D
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post May 17 2012, 08:54 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Looks like the assumed tri-axial radii might be a bit off with the c axis greater than what is assumed.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Ian R
post May 17 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #5

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Heh! wink.gif

Speaking of moons, there's a long-awaited sequel to Under a Killing Moon in the works, if it can get enough funding . . .

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post May 18 2012, 12:42 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4489

---edit----

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:50 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.