Reply to this topicStart new topic
Argadnel Reigo, The wedge issue
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 2 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #1

SewingMachine

Group: Members
Member No.: 510

Several remarkable regional observations were excluded from the USGS controlled photomosaic of Europa, including two large swatches of the jumbled tectonic wonderland now known as Argadnel Reigo. The eastern end of the region, imaged during the E14 encounter, is presented here:

14ESWEDGES01

Context within USGS map

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Big_Gazza
post Feb 3 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 547

WOW!! Now that is an incredible mosaic!! Hard to believe that this series was shot back in 1998. Does NASA have a whole department dedicated to hiding this stuff in dusty boxes?

Top notch stuff mate, keep it up. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Big_Gazza
post Feb 3 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 547

It looks like the question regarding life on Europa has been answered. The Europa-eans (Europeans?) are alive and well and have a great number of functional SUVs. And to think that some luddites consider the Apollo moonwalkers to be environmental vandals by leaving all those wheel tracks... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
vexgizmo
post Feb 3 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 623

QUOTE (Big_Gazza @ Feb 3 2006, 03:15 AM)
Does NASA have a whole department dedicated to hiding this stuff in dusty boxes?

It is unfortunate that the Galileo imaging team's mosaics are not available to the public, or for that matter to researchers in general, via the web. I believe that was the intent, but this important effort fell through the cracks. I blame Mars.

It's great to see them here!

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 3 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #5

SewingMachine

Southeast of Mannann'an near the northern edge of Argadnel Reigo is a prominent dark spot called Castalia Macula that was imaged in detail during orbits 14 and 17.

14ESDRKSPT01

Context within 17ESREGMAP/NERTRM01

14ESDRKSPT02 color

Origin and evolution of Castalia Macula, an anomalous young depression on Europa
Louise Prockter and Paul Schenk
Received 9 September 2004; revised 7 August 2005. Available online 19 September 2005.

Abstract

Europa's Castalia Macula region was comprehensively imaged by the Galileo spacecraft on several orbits, at both local and regional resolutions and with different illumination geometries. Using these datasets we have mapped and identified the different geological units within the Castalia area, and derived digital elevation models (DEMs) of the topography within most of the Castalia Macula region. Using these data sets in combination allows us to map the geology and topography of this area in greater detail than perhaps any other site on Europa. Castalia Macula consists of unusually dark and reddish material, most of which is confined to a broad topographic depression 350 m deep located between two large uplifted domes 900 and 750 m high, to the north and south, respectively. The preservation of topography at the bottom of Castalia Macula indicates that dark material initially filled the depression to a certain depth but was subsequently removed via drainage, resulting in a dark stain up to the original equipotential surface. Superposition and topographic relationships suggest that the Castalia Macula plains deposit formed prior to uplift of both domes, and at least two distinct episodes of chaos formation have occurred near and on top of the northern dome. It appears that Castalia Macula is comparatively young and was active relatively recently, therefore it could provide an ideal place to sample material that has recently been erupted from the subsurface, and may have been in communication with Europa's ocean. These factors combine to make Castalia Macula a very attractive site for a future Europa lander.

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 16 2006, 10:19 AM
Post #6

SewingMachine

The E11 mosaic of the western edge of Argadnel Reigo was the largest regional-scale view obtained during Galileo's primary mission, covering a vast expanse of terrain including Mannann'an and the partially obliterated Belus Linea. This will be incorporated into a larger mosaic including areas imaged on E17.

11ESREGMAP01 greyscale

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 16 2006, 01:35 PM
Post #7

SewingMachine

Castalia Macula was indeed the most comprehensively imaged feature on Europa's surface, viewed on orbits G1(1.5km/pxl, low phase), E11(300m/pxl, color), E14(20&60m, 1.4km/pxl, color and stereo), E17(222m/pxl), and E19(103m/pxl, high phase oblique color). Here are the E11 and E19 observations, excluded from the earlier post.

11ESCOLORS01-01

19ESCOLOR01

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 16 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #8

SewingMachine

Here's a colorized portion of the high resolution mosaic of Castalia Macula and the north dome from E11 data:

14ESDRKSPT01 colorized

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:09 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.