http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=226826
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Oct 24 2015, 08:15 AM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 3995

Their sporadic occurrence makes me think outgassing/venting, though evaporation due to local heating would be even more interesting.

Of course, though, Pluto has shown us that features visible near the limits of resolution can be quite deceiving.

+Quote Post
fred_76
post Oct 24 2015, 09:28 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 7518

Some colors on the last Lorri images of Pluto, made from the high res Pluto color view with the Herobrine's pano :

Attached Image

Fred

--------------------
Astronopithecus normandimensis nephophobis

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Oct 25 2015, 02:07 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 5458

Here's a full tweened morph of the latest stereo image release.

(click for full resolution HTML5 video - 0.5MB)
(link to full resolution GIF - 18MB)

If I get a chance, I'll post a colorized version of this. I've already played with it a bit and it does help differentiate the terrain better in some places.

I viewed both the anaglyph and the flicker animation for a long while before I went ahead with doing this morph. I went into it expecting little more to be revealed but I don't think either of the previously mentioned fully capture how intensely broken this landscape must be.

One area I find particularly interesting is in the upper right corner. It could just be me seeing things but It would almost seem as if at some point in the past, the darkest patches were some sort of liquid and the fractured terrain has lead to some sort of system of waterliquidfalls.

(click to enlarge)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_MichaelPoole_*
post Oct 25 2015, 10:29 AM
Post #65

Guests

Why not water? This area is poor in nitrogen, methane and CO2 ice and exposed water ice signatures were detected nearby https://www.nasa.gov/nh/nh-finds-blue-skies...er-ice-on-pluto . A volcanic eruption or an impact could have melted and evaporated enough water ice to temporarily make the conditions for liquid water possible, or at least a briny ammonia-water or salty "cryolava". If ammonia-water cryolava flowed on Ariel then it can flow on Pluto.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Oct 25 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #66

Well, I wouldn't suggest water as a first possibility. There's a lot of factors that would make that scenario relatively unlikely but you can't rule it out at 0% chance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_MichaelPoole_*
post Oct 25 2015, 10:13 PM
Post #67

Guests

QUOTE (ZLD @ Oct 25 2015, 02:34 PM) *
Well, I wouldn't suggest water as a first possibility. There's a lot of factors that would make that scenario relatively unlikely but you can't rule it out at 0% chance.

And what would those factors be? IIRC ammonia-water volcanism created a lot of landforms on the more active of Uranian moons. Pluto's crust is mostly water ice and an impact or volcanic activity can easily evaporate/melt it.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Oct 26 2015, 07:09 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 4489

the surface coloring makes using SFS a bit " fun"
With what looks like ice frost on rims and the light and dark areas this is basically a mess

the stereo data will be better
lor_0299178893_0x630_sci_4.jpg
Attached Image
Attached Image

3d renderings at a low angle

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Oct 26 2015, 05:09 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 7310

The latest LORRI images are really awesome (didn't get a proper look at them until now). I look forward to when we get the LEISA_HIRES images of this depression (reminiscent of a feature much further south, image 2):

Attached Image

Note how it appears to have erased part of the crater at the top.

(the eye of Pluto aka Elliot Crater will be interesting to get a closer look at, too - if the image track doesn't miss it)

--------------------

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Oct 27 2015, 02:56 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (ZLD @ Oct 25 2015, 02:07 AM) *
Here's a full tweened morph of the latest stereo image release.

Very nice-
that image really brings out the depth of the craters-
Odd that we've just seen round collapse features on comets in the Chury-Gury imhotep region,
and here is another set of round-deep-walled pits to spark the imagination.

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Oct 27 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 6842

My mosaic from the new LORRI images, a nice sweep across the globe.

Attached Image

Could anyone please suggest the ground track for this mosiac?

--------------------

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Oct 28 2015, 01:03 AM
Post #72

QUOTE (wildespace @ Oct 27 2015, 08:36 PM) *
My mosaic from the new LORRI images, a nice sweep across the globe.

Attached Image

Could anyone please suggest the ground track for this mosiac?

Left middle part of Pluto.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Oct 28 2015, 03:21 AM
Post #73

QUOTE (ZLD @ Oct 25 2015, 03:07 AM) *
One area I find particularly interesting is in the upper right corner. It could just be me seeing things but It would almost seem as if at some point in the past, the darkest patches were some sort of liquid and the fractured terrain has lead to some sort of system of waterliquidfalls.

Interesting parallels to what you see from melting glaciers in Greenland.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/28/insider/...nland.html

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Oct 28 2015, 02:26 PM
Post #74

That certainly has a very similar appearance! Its difficult to rectify the lack of energy currently at Pluto still.

There was a blog post a little while back that confirmed that the red channel is IR, green channel RED (though I think slightly back mixed with red probably) and blue channel BLUE. In the full global MVIC shot, this area is heavily covered with very red patches, meaning they are highly IR reflective. So if we dump the luminance from the IR data, the dark patches we see in the LORRI shots stay dark and they look more lake-like (dried of course). Maybe Pluto really did have a much more energetic past with a much more substantial atmosphere.

It will be very interesting to see LEISA data from this area I think.

--------------------

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Oct 28 2015, 03:30 PM
Post #75

QUOTE (ZLD @ Oct 28 2015, 02:26 PM) *
That certainly has a very similar appearance!
Its difficult to rectify the lack of energy currently at Pluto still.
In the full global MVIC shot, this area is heavily covered with very red patches, meaning they are highly IR reflective.
So if we dump the luminance from the IR data, the dark patches we see in the LORRI shots stay dark and they look more lake-like (dried of course). Maybe Pluto really did have a much more energetic past with a much more substantial atmosphere.

Two follow ups - First, something interesting if you compare the above lorri mosaic to the full disk image-
The plains about 1/3 of the way up the image, between the large impact crater and hummock terrain, are dull grey in lorri, but bright and shiny in the full disk image. There does seem to be a definite "glossly" or clear-coat quality to some areas on Pluto. Depending on the sun angle, they can appear much brighter then they actually are.
Also, it appears that Titan's atmosphere may alternate between thick greenhouse effect with surface lakes, then thin where the atmosphere would be frozen out. IIRC, NASA press releases mentioned that Charon's red polar cap could be due to tholins from Pluto's distended atmosphere, so it's conceivable that Pluto has eras where there's a significant atmosphere. Doesn't have to happen often, but if orbital periods could create a temporary Snowball earth, they might create a temporary slushball Pluto.

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:49 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.