3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Trident, a NASA low cost mission to Triton
antipode
post Jun 20 2020, 03:01 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 1206

Interesting, thanks Phil. Would be nice to have a dynamically 'hot' target, but beggars cant be choosers.

P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Webscientist
post Dec 29 2020, 01:13 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 594

Here is a simulated view of Neptune from the surface of Triton. I produced it in 2020 for an article upon the Trident project in the journal of my astronomy club:

We will compare to reality in a few decades ! laugh.gif

(The apparent size of Neptune is well respected in the simulated view from my "smartphone": it would represent a disk whose apparent diameter is about 8 arc degrees or 15 times the apparent diameter of the Moon as seen from the Earth).

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Dec 30 2020, 05:13 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 321

That's a powerful image! Triton would be getting a lot of missions if it weren't for the travel time, and an image like that can do a lot to bring Triton forward in people's minds.

I'm not sure what color the skies are on Triton, but Neptune would contribute powerfully.

+Quote Post
Webscientist
post Dec 30 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #19

Thanks,
A way for me to explore in advance that mystical world that may turn out to be more exotic than expected in fact.
I often try to imagine the type of horizon we would get from the surface of Pluto or Triton since the atmosphere of Triton is so thin ( slightly denser than Pluto's atmosphere at "sea level").
I imagined a dull sky and a darker sky toward the zenith. Intuitive logic I would say!
For the appearance of the soil, it is quite speculative I would say because we only have one image of the surface of a planetary body of the outer solar system.

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post Dec 31 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 4081

Fascinating image Webscientist! The foreground is what I imagined the 'cantaloupe' Triton surface might appear close up. Agree with JRehling such images and others https://www.google.com/search?q=neptune+fro...50&biw=1536 would inspire more interest in outer solar system exploration.

+Quote Post
Webscientist
post Dec 31 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (titanicrivers @ Dec 31 2020, 07:44 PM) *
The foreground is what I imagined the 'cantaloupe' Triton surface might appear close up.

Thanks again,
For the cantaloupe, I used some "ingredients" not related to the cantaloupe terrain Voyager 2 had observed, without the purpose of producing those cantaloupe structures but the outcome reveals small scale-cantaloupes. Satisfied!
It also reminds me of the distorted surface the Phoenix lander had observed on Mars.
Let's hope we'll get higher resolution images of those cantaloupe terrains in the near future!

+Quote Post
Station
post Feb 19 2021, 11:17 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 4014

Here goes my rendition about lander (in this case I "borrowed" Viking wink.gif ) on the surface of Triton. Few liquid nitrogen geysers on the far horizon... thin, barely visible atmosphere.

--------------------
iss.astronet.pl
moonshot.astronet.pl

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Feb 19 2021, 07:43 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 7860

QUOTE (Station @ Feb 19 2021, 12:17 PM) *
...Few liquid nitrogen geysers on the far horizon...

Are the visible geyser plumes on Triton really composed of liquid nitrogen or are they nitrogen crystals (with some darker impurities)?

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 19 2021, 08:16 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 184

Station's rendition seems consistent with small optical thickness of Triton's atmosphere, though it might be slightly more visible. Looking near the horizon it should look brighter especially in the direction of the sun.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi....1029/92JE00945

The size of the haze particles suggests a bluish color of preferential scattering due to the Angstrom exponent effect. Any methane gas absorption, or absorption by the haze particles could modify this color.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Webscientist
post Feb 22 2021, 10:26 AM
Post #25

Thanks Station for your nice art work. The crescent of the giant planet (whose appearance constantly evolves) from the surface of Triton must be breathtaking.
The Sun located at 30 Astronomical Units must appear as a really bright star even if its apparent diameter is only 1/30 the apparent diameter of the Moon from the Earth. I remember the simulator "Pluto Day" to represent the luminosity on the surface of Pluto. Undoubtedly, on Triton, it is not the complete darkness at mid-day!
The apparent diameter of Neptune would be around 480 times the apparent diameter of the Sun!

+Quote Post
Station
post Feb 22 2021, 01:54 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 4014

Fantasy continues wink.gif

This time I created something based on the uranian system. I titled it "Lost on Miranda" wink.gif

--------------------
iss.astronet.pl
moonshot.astronet.pl

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post Feb 23 2021, 08:42 PM
Post #27

Possibly, that explorer is close to Verona Rupes (the tallest cliff in the solar system!). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verona_Rupes

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 24 2021, 12:17 AM
Post #28

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Often misrepresented! That cliff is a talus deposit at the angle of repose. If you jumped off it you would slide down it, not fall through space until you hit the bottom. My evidence? - the full image or a mosaic of images from this sequence shows where the horizon would be just beyond the terminator. It's not perpendicular to the cliff. Bring skis, not airbags.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post Feb 24 2021, 05:01 PM
Post #29

Thanks Phil. Should have searched UMSF first to find your abstract https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc1991/pdf/1667.pdf from LPSC XXII. Maybe should be an addendum to the Wikipedia article.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Feb 26 2021, 03:01 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 4489

the renderings got me thinking , so...

a crop from Voyager image of Triton
Attached Image

using Shape from Shade a height map is created
-- i used a 32 bit tiff image
Attached Image

and a quick work in progress rendering of near the surface in blender
Attached Image

Attached Image

the hills are a bit pronounced

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.