142 Pages V  « < 70 71 72 73 74 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Route Map
nogal
post Sep 15 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #1066

Group: Members
Member No.: 4824

Update to sol 1814-1816. Curiosity is less than 100m (66m in a straight line) of crossing into quadrant 132. However, according to the notional route it will quickly move on to quadrant 133.
Fernando
Attached File  The_Martian_Way_MSL_Curiosity_Sol_1814_2017SEP15.kmz ( 600.02K ) Number of downloads: 345
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 18 2017, 07:59 PM
Post #1067

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Great work, Nogal.

This is a very quick update to sol 1819, done in transit in an airport, on my way to the UK.

The position is good but the path is just a placeholder until I can take some time over it.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nogal
post Sep 20 2017, 11:39 PM
Post #1068

Thank you Phil. I really appreciate it.
Fernando

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 21 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #1069

A good 40 m drive on sol 1822, bringing us close to a slope up onto another level of the ridge. We are getting higher, but further from the first point of entry to the top of the ridge, and this has the effect of closing off part of our view to the north (alas, without Mastcam imaging of most of the scene).

I can't promise anything regarding the route, but after some initial trouble I think I have a good location.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 26 2017, 12:32 PM
Post #1070

Update to sol 1827, a short drive south.

Phil

Attached Image

(see my note on the Opportunity route map thread. Many of these placenames will be moved to exact locations when the data make it to the Analysts Notebook)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 28 2017, 12:37 PM
Post #1071

Sol 1828, a good drive towards the next slope up to a higher level of the ridge. And into the next quadrangle, Kuruman - the mission status reports at JPL give details of this.

Phil

(EDIT - replaced map with a modified version a few minutes after first posting)

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 29 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #1072

Sol 1829, a drive to the northeast, about 30 m, across a small depression and almost to the top of the slope here.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post Sep 29 2017, 04:36 PM
Post #1073

Welcome to Kuruman! Update to sol 1830.
Fernando
Attached File  The_Martian_Way_MSL_Curiosity_Sol_1830_2017SEP2915.kmz ( 602.68K ) Number of downloads: 289

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 2 2017, 12:17 PM
Post #1074

Offline all weekend... so here's an update for sol 1830, a short drive almost to the top of the local slope, and the edge of this map base. I will post a wider context map soon.

Phil

Attached Image

... and by soon I mean now.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 4 2017, 03:11 PM
Post #1075

Sol 1834, a 14 m drive on this higher level of the ridge.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post Oct 6 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #1076

Update to sol 1837.
Fernando
Attached File  The_Martian_Way_MSL_Curiosity_Sol_1837_2017OCT06.kmz ( 603.79K ) Number of downloads: 308

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 7 2017, 10:34 AM
Post #1077

And my 1837 map.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post Oct 12 2017, 11:18 PM
Post #1078

<warning>Long post</warning>

EDIT: I've just found the hard way that Dropbox has a daily traffic limit: It has been exceed. It should "unfreeze" itself but that may take a long time. Thank you for downloading the file and my apologies if you've been unable to. I am working to fix this problem, I hope to come back soon with a solution. I hope I've found a solution. F
EDIT 2: Hopefully Google drive does not have the same limitations (I searched but could not find them). I have copied the file to Google Drive and created a shared link which you'll find below. Thank you for your patience. F
Edit 3: I have removed the dropbox link since google drive seems to work and I needed the space.

A high resolution orbital map for MSL

I recently came across an extraordinary mosaic of HiRISE images of the Gale crater, assembled by Fred J. Calef III and Timothy Parker. Named "MSL Gale Merged Orthophoto Mosaic 25cm Oct. 2016" it was created to help with the analysis of Gale as a possible landing area. Thus, it covers all of Curiosity's traverse as well as the areas it will possibly visit in the future.

This find promised to simplify a project I've been working on for a couple of years, the long duration being due to lack of time on one hand and my poor grasp on GDAL and its utilities on the other. I have extracted from this huge (22.6 GB) mosaic a rectangle covering Curiosity's past and future (notional) path and created an MSL Orbital Map suitable for viewing on GE (tiled structure).

Despite being a small subset it takes 1.6 GB, approximately. In computing the subset's coordinates I have used 25-digit precision (a bit overkill, since USGS coordinates are 17-digit and GDAL uses 13 digits) in an effort to guarantee the best precision possible. You will be the judges of it. I do find it to be in good agreement with Curiosity's path, especially in those tight spots such as Dingo Gap and Marias Pass. But there is a misalignment with the HiRISE strips and the CTX mosaic provided by Google. Despite many attempts (and it does take a long time on my desktop to generate the tiles) I was unable to align it better and also could not eliminate the image's dark border. Hopefully this has a low impact.

EDIT: I have created a zip file which I have uploaded to Google Drive.
EDIT (2019Sep23): The file has been placed in the "The_Martian_Way" directory which will also contain other files related to this project. The link below has been updated accordingly.

Here is the link to a Google drive directory containing the file: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OJH...BbQ?usp=sharing

Here is the dropbox link - please use it only if the Google drive link does not work: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2z4ywpeylsslwm7/M...talMap.zip?dl=0

The file has a top directory with two files in it (a kml file and an image) and many, many sub-directories with the tiles. If you would like to try it you will need about 3.5 GB of disk during installation, and 1.6 GB permanently.

To install:
1) Download the zip file using the link provided above and place it somewhere (desktop is fine).
2) Unzip the file to some location GE has access to.
3) Double click on the top directory's kml file, which will start GE.
4) It will ask to change to Mars, please select "yes".
5) To make it a GE permanent feature, right click on it (from GE left panel) and chose "Save to My Places". It will then load every time you start GE.
6) Delete the zip file to save space.

As the zip file takes a sizeable chunk of my Google space I won't be able to keep it there indefinitely. Perhaps, if you think it is of some value, another hosting site could be found.

Enjoy and please let me know of any problems or thoughts you may have. Thanks
Fernando

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Oct 16 2017, 09:51 AM
Post #1079

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (nogal @ Oct 13 2017, 07:18 AM) *
......please let me know of any problems or thoughts you may have. Thanks
Fernando

Downloaded from from Google Drive, Unzipped / installed and loaded first time, extremely sharp maps, many thanks Fernando smile.gif Was well worth the download....

+Quote Post
Sean
post Oct 16 2017, 11:47 AM
Post #1080

Member No.: 7837

Wow Fernando thanks for sharing this. It extracted & worked fine... I will be relying on this map a lot!

As for hosting...maybe create a unique google account just for this project?

Or create a bespoke map over here; http://openplanetarymap.org

Gigapan is another option.

--------------------

+Quote Post

142 Pages V  « < 70 71 72 73 74 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:02 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.