IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Meet The First Woman To Drive On Mars!, Ashley Stroupe, one of 8 rover's drivers
RNeuhaus
post Nov 11 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 385

The above picture is the Dr. Stroupe, one of NASA engineer.

Getting Your Rover Driver's License

Initially, Stroupe was among a team of experts who interpreted data sent back by the rovers – analyzing the machines' movements and activities. When still more engineers moved on to other projects, the mission team began to recruit new drivers; experience driving on Mars wasn't necessary – training would be provided. Stroupe was accepted and driving school began.

Of course it is not necessary to have experience driving on Mars but yes an Earth off-road driving is a must. The ones who has that kind of experience, knows and have better judgment to select the route to follow.

As with any driver's education class, you don't just hop into the driver's seat at JPL. Stroupe shadowed a team of eight expert rover drivers. Like responsible parents, skilled drivers hand down knowledge to the newbies, including certain tricks and styles suited to the distinct personalities and unique environments of each rover.

"It's like trying to drive a car by writing a computer program," Stroupe said. "We have to tell it to turn a certain amount, drive a defined distance, take a picture or use its autonavigation function that allows it to reach goals on its own – all while ensuring its safety."

Her last words in the press:

"And whether anybody ever knows my name or not, they'll see my [rover] tracks – I guess I have made my mark on Mars!"

More details, http://www.spacedaily.com/news/mars-mers-05zzzzt.html

As you know there are different driving skills, ones for racing, other for jumping, other for climbing mountains and finally other to surf dunes. So the Mars drivers must have off-road Earth's experience knack skills for off-road driving, ones who does not get scared to go a steep step (this is only good) and neither to a steep climbing (this is good too) and also know what kind of sand is apt to surf (this is still no one word).

Rodolfo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 02:08 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.